Used 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Grand Caravan for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Liked it so much I traded for another.

Dennis Voorhees, 11/22/2015
SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had 3 minivans since 1989 A Ford Areostar, a Dodge Caravan, Chevy Venture. The Venture was used and a disaster. Dumped a lot of money into it and just got tired of doing so, so I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 Program GC SXT in December 2012. The 2012 van was red and had 28000 miles on it. I drove it to 91,500 miles in just a month under 3 years. Not one lick of problems. A couple recalls though, but nothing serious. Replaced the front brakes at 90k miles, and 1 set of tires at 55k. Replaced the air filter once and did oil changes and tire rotations every 5k miles. I did replace the battery, twice though, as I had an aftermarket back up camera installed that didn't shut off the monitor, which ran down the battery a couple times. It was awhile before I caught the problem. It was quite comfortable on long trips, I drove many 12+ hour days with no issues. I was so happy with this van that I decided to trade it for another nearly identical Red 2015 SXT. The main reason was the 12 was nearing 100k miles, I had another year of traveling planned, and the 6 year 100k warranty was about to expire. I could trade to a 3 year newer with lots lower miles for nearly the same payment. I hope this one will be as trouble free, as the 12. I'm a retired, but active guy, that appreciates the utility of the MiniVan. I highly recommend them. UPDATE on the 2015. I purchased it was 22000 miles on the Odometer, It now has 62000 trouble free miles. The tires were replaced at 48k. That's it. Still performs like the 2012, and I maintain it like I did the 2012. I still travel quite a bit and this vehicle suits my needs. The other day I had lunch with 3 other old guys from work I had not seen in several years. All 4 of us were driving 5th generation Dodge Caravans. They are the new Lincoln I recon.

Love it

nateo2, 04/03/2014

I dont know why people complain about this van ours has 54,000 miles and never had a single problem besides the brakes squealing put better quality rotors on it and have not squealed since has plenty of power and we think its very comfortable all around great van

A lot for the money

homerkc, 11/25/2012

We have 3,500 mi. on our van and it has exceeded many expectations. We took a 2000 mi trip shortly after buying (only 500 break-in miles) and saw 28mpg on the interstate. We can get 20mpg around town (suburban driving) if we watch what we're doing. Very comfortable seats and ride, plenty of power, and the flexibility of the stow n go always amazes. For a very reasonable mid-20s price, it's a lot of car that can do a lot of things (like haul 2 new exterior doors from Home Depot) without any fuss. Once you have had that capability at your disposal, it would be hard to give it up.

Eating my words.....Sell or Don't buy!

trafficfdr2, 11/01/2014
SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update to a review I wrote when I bought this van used. Nothing but problems. Great concept but loses all around. The problem with the newer Pentaster 6 cylinder engine has has the heads rebuilt, but they won't acknowledge a recall. They will fix it after it breaks. Recall on rear window switch, dlr disconnected it Chylr has no solution for it. No rear windows. Really! On a minivan. Brakes are garbage and so are the OEM tires, mine separated. Side rear sliders rub on fenders, no fix, gas cap broken=bad gas mileage. And the piece de resistance the drivers window leaks so when it is rolled down the smell that punches you in the face is unbearable. No solution there either. Update:2016 Sold it, lost a lot of money. Nothing but problems. #buyahondaodyssey, end of sentence.

Chrysler's core design quality is slipping...

buddhanature, 03/25/2014

35,000 miles, Owned for 2 years from new. Dealer sales-lady lied about UConnect and rebate for multi-vehicle purchase. Wouldn't reimburse us either. Drove to Florida from Michigan twice. Cruise control problem - didn't use. Transmission hard shift when first taking off. Used to own '94 Voyager minivan, '03 Intrepid and '98 Sebring convertible. This vehicle has more design problems than the older ones I owned. Had transmission reprogrammed - still bad (even had 3 Chrysler quality engineers ride with me and they said this is normal operation for this vehicle.),wind shear problem, heater blower motor has only low speeds. Original tires only lasted 25,000 miles before no traction in snow.

paid a gamble and...paid dearly & Sold it

trafficfdr, 06/15/2013
SXT 4dr Minivan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 12 DGC SXT certified used rental vehicle, biggest mistake ever. I have never owned a vehicle with so many problems and recalls. Do not buy this vehicle, I lost a lot of money in maintenance and sold it at a loss for my families safety. Anything else is better. I went back to Honda.

Value, Design, Utility

fdby, 07/08/2013

I just bought a 2012 Grand Caravan SXT with 36k miles. So I can't say much about reliability yet. So far I'm impressed with the seating, much improved in 2011 over the previous Stow'n'Go. The DOHC variable-valve-timing engine is very nice and powerful (but still uses 87 octane gas), though I can't imagine it will be as trouble-free, tough, and durable as the old OHV 3.3L dinosaur. Handling is very good. The standard suspension is no longer mushy, but feels more like the old Sport option, yet is quite compliant. Power doors all around work well, but seem pointless to me, as does the key-in-fob arrangement. Fit'n'finish is so-so. There are some very clever options inside.

Good Value for the money at the lower priced models

floridaflyer, 06/01/2012

We bought our 2012 Grand Caravan back in February and four months later we have 5000 miles on it. We are enjoying it, my wife is more comfortable driving the minivan than my car and she really likes the stow-n-go seating. We have been getting better gas mileage (seeing 21 mpg city and 27 mpg highway, my calculations, not the display on the dash which reads a little higher) than the EPA sticker says and that's with running the A/C. I do keep the Econ Button on all the time, except when I am accelerating up this one onramp that is uphill. When I turn off the A/C and the Econ Button for that ramp, it has great acceleration, with the Econ Button on it suppresses the shifts/acceleration.

Very Disappointed..........

jcarndt, 02/09/2013

Purchased new in July of 2012. . I owned a '99 Caravan Sport and it was great. This one is not. When I test drove this one it seemed pretty good. Smooth ride, very quiet, lots of power. 60 days after purchase, the front brakes started squealing. Fixed by dealer. 60 days later, I noticed a clattering/rubbing sound from engine compartment at low speed. Frequency of the noise increased and decreased in time with RPM's. Dealer service manager said it was "normal" for that model year, and they have no idea what it is. So I'm screwed. Clunking/rattling from rear end, one of the heater controls has stopped working. Less than 5000 miles, and it sounds and feels like an old truck...... never again

I love my 2012 Grand Caravan Crew, but there were some problems.

cindywilliams, 10/19/2012

I love my 2012 GC Crew. It was a lease/repo/rental vehicle that was rushed from Texas to Alabama. I hadn't drove it but two days, and would hesitate while backing up, and would jerk during shifting. It had a piece on the passenger side vent missing, the power sliding doors needed oiled as they were sluggish. It also needed a good detail cleaning. I put it in the shop last week and they said it had broke motor mounts. Everything is fixed but the mounts, I should get it back this Monday. There is no way a 2012 model should have broke motor mounts. I love the van, but I just wish it would be problematic. The manager said if I wasn't happy with it next then he can put me in something else.

51050