Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

Used Dakota for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

2000 Dodge Dakota

jmbudde, 01/06/2004
SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

The only thing that I do not care for in this truck is the fuel economy. The truck fits my lifestyle and what I need it to do. The interior is roomy and comfortable for the over all size.

Fuel Pig

opie, 04/07/2006
Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

11 MPG Highway, replaced (at my cost) engine at 60000 miles, all servicing done by Dodge, as per Owner's Manual. Using Dodge Syn oil. Four sets of Dodge front shocks in 70,000 Miles, spring booster overloades needed to level drooping rear end

Excellent Mid-size Truck

hmrhed1, 06/13/2004
Sport Plus 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I liked the looks as soon as they came out. I finally got one and I'm glad I did. It's been a great running truck for the 2 years I've owned it. Comfortable, quiet and even at 6'4", I have plenty of room. I drove both the 4.7L and the 5.9L and decided on the smaller V-8. It has plenty of power for my uses, which doesn't include towing...yet.

More bark than bite

ruffles, 11/06/2004
R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this R/T on Ebay almost one year ago. Replaced the idler pulley,v-belt, and water pump. Overall, the truck turns heads everywhere I go. Sounds excellent through factory single exhaust (not sure what genius put single exhaust on a performance truck). The truck is fun to drive. Fuel economy is about 14 in the city and 17 on the highway. Truck has a 5.9 v-8 and only produces 250hp. Most hondas with a couple of mods can beat me on any given day. Looks mean, sounds mean, feels mean. Stock with k&n filter runs high 14's in quarter mile.

nice try mopar

rim, 03/23/2003
SLT 4dr Crew Cab SB

I liked it because it was a mid-size truck, however it drives like a full size and suck gas like a full size truck. The brake is below what I expected. The Good-year eagle rs is already showing signs of wear after 25k on them. The windshield wiper blade left the vehicle after two years. Even though it was almost never used (living in so. cal, no rain). Nice try dodge, how bout using some quality parts.

One of My 2 Dakota 2000 Quad Cab Trucks

rhudman, 05/08/2003
SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

I own two of these trucks. They were bought in Dec 1999. Both have been driven on long vacation trips from Texas to Florida. The Sport has a 4.7 Liter V8 which is easy on the gas and very peppy. The other is a SLT with a 5.9 Liter V8 and the full towing package to enclude towing capacity to 9000 lbs. As could be expected the gas milage is not as good as the smaller V8's and V6's but it is very powerful and extremely stout.

Happy First-time Dodge Owner

SAMetzger, 03/18/2002
Sport Plus 4dr Crew Cab SB

In my first 16 months of ownership I am still very happy with my purchase! The ride has remained smooth, fuel economy constant, integrity solid, and interior durable. On a 5,000 mile camping trip to the mountains it provided all the reliability, functionality, and comfort that I could have asked for. The 3.9L V-6 is not the strongest motor available but adequate for acceleration needs (even loaded) and light towing.

New little red truck

dodgemanchris, 03/05/2007
R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is a good truck. Looks great on the road. Handling is unreal, sometimes I forget I am in a truck. Also have not had a lot of problems out of it. Tire size is a little odd, so prices are kind of high. But when it handles that good, it evens out. Overall,it is a good truck that you can do light work with in the day, and then a night take your girl out on the town. Trust me,she will ask to drive.

Oil Pressure Problems

geroge, 04/08/2007
2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had a Dakota for a few years now and what seemed to be a good vehicle has turned into a dog. Even with regular oil changes it seems this truck will drop it's oil pressure for no reason. A quick search on the web tells me I am not the only one this has happened to. The 3.9L engine is a sludge factory. Now, we all don't have the ability or oppurtunity to pull over when something like an unexpected drop (to 0) in oil pressure occures, so just imagine the amount of engine damage that can occur. Isn't it a lovely sound to hear my engine knock. Not only would I avoid Dodge but any Diamler/Chrysler product.

Dodge Dakota R/T

DrewD, 09/10/2004
R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Dodge far and away builds the poorest vehicle I have ever owned. This truck not only depreciates the fastest of any American vehicle but the milage rating was overstated by almost twice what it got. Also when the dealership was questioned about the poor milage and the engine miss I was told "yes I can hear it but Dodge won't authorize us to fix it" For having as large of an engine as it did it was not fast. For a 2000 the idea that Dodge uses the same undercarrige as a 1970 car pretty much tell the story on the funding they put into research and development. Never will I look at a Dodge\Chrysler vehicle again.

12345...12