Used 2000 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

Used Dakota for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

You get what you pay for!

texasgunrunner, 08/03/2002
SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

My Dakota performs well in spite of how I abuse it. For a V8 4x4, the gas mileage acceptable. It has been extremely reliable - and I put 30K miles on it the first year!. The only serious issue was the AC clutch bearing failed, which I replaced myself. I did upgrade the cheesy factory front rotors. For all the other reviewers who bought the low-end versions econo- versions ("It lacks power with a 2.5L engine..." duh! it is a truck!) - you get what you pay for and you should have had a V8. This is no featherweight Nissan putt-putt - it is a real vehicle, so get a real engine and then we'll talk.

Great Buy

gwashy, 10/19/2006
Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this vehicle for the utility of a truck, but what I got was a vehicle that handles great and has been a great buy for the money. Outside of a recall on the ball joints, I have not had any issues at all. A highly reliable vehicle that handles/performs well and is sporty. The V6 engine has plenty of get up and go and proves to have plenty of torque with a bed full of anything. The interior is comfortable, but can feel a bit "cheap". The interior components tend to move around in the assembled condition and do not fit snugly. Also, the dash features feel hollow and do not give a robust feel. With the interior my only concern, I am quite satisfied and would buy it again anyday.

Best American vehicle I ever had

dzerres, 10/29/2007
Sport Plus 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has had no mechanical issues for the 7 years I've owned it (it was recalled for ball joints which they replaced but were not worn). My only regret is not having bought the 4 door version and not bothered with the camper shell.

Fantastic Little Truck

Good Truck, 10/26/2007
SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is my second 4wd with a v8 and it has not dissapointed. I will always buy Dodge trucks from now on. I pull a 6000lb boat with no trouble at all.

best truck

mydakota, 03/20/2008
Sport 2dr Regular Cab SB

my father was going to sell it but instead he gave it to me and i've had only minor problems with it, it has a great engine and sounds great with the flowmasters i had put in, love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world...

FUN!!

JA, 05/05/2016
R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Worst and BEST truck I have ever owned. Purchased in 2003, sold in 2008 as trade in for less of a Beast. 4 sets of tires, and numerous tickets had to let it go. After I made all the modes I wanted, not diving into the engine itself, I had a real runner. Would smoke any Honda trying to make a run at me on the H3, Honolulu, HI with so much torque. Just loved hearing them grabbing lower gears thinking they could catch me. Pegged speedometer once in WA state on a super long back road, and still had 2 grand to go (never did that again scared me so bad). Replaced entire front/rear suspension with polyurethane bushing and KYB shocks, did so because the Dodge's were notorious for ball joint failure. That turned the truck into go-cart like handling, stiffening up the suspension all the way around. Engine wise: Throttle body plate, cold air intake, stainless steel headers (kept single pipe out), high flow cat, high flow muffler, Mopar performance computer, 165 degree thermostat, 8mm spark plug wires, platinum spark plugs, and MSD 6a digital ignition. I still think about that truck all the time and wish I never got rid of it........why? Oh, my reasoning above, but why?

Unique and Hard To beat

BestinNaperville, 10/29/2002
Sport 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have had for 3 years. Love this vehicle. There isn't anything much faster on the road for both passing and off the line car or truck. A Viper beat me once. Engine is just now breaking in, so it is even smoother after 3 years. Gas mileage could be better, but SUV's are much worse. Intense Blue will make this a collectors vehicle some day. Was hard to find and very few built this way. Quality is better than I expected. Dealer has taken care of any problems, and is very courteous. Could use a better left foot rest for long drives. 4WD is awesome in snow ! And great in rain.

Great Truck!

wickesser, 02/26/2002
Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Would by this truck again. Best review you can give.

Front end issues

skibum616, 08/20/2003
SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Every thing is great but the front end of these trucks. At 89000 miles I had the upper driver side ball joing literally blow apart. The dealership, under my extended warranty, replaced all 4 ball joints on the truck and both upper control arms. After further investigation I found that Dodge Durangos from the years 1996 to 2000 are under investigation by the National Traffic and Highway Safety Administration for this problem. Also, the rotors on these trucks are undersized for the trucks weight. In the 95,000 miles I have had the truck the rotors have been replaced twice and I have replaced the front breaks 3 times.

So Far, So Good

fastcpa, 11/15/2003
SLT Plus 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB

3+ years, 95 mile commute to work, many items hauled and/or towed, and no major problems. Change the oil and go.

12345...12