2018 Dodge Charger Sedan Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Dodge Charger Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

Finally my own Hemi: R/T Plus/Super Track Pak
By LGK1974

2018 Dodge Charger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

After years of pining and lusting over Mopar muscle cars, I finally took a leap ... I am 6 months in to my lease of a Destroyer Grey 2018 Dodge Charger R/T with Plus Package and the Super Track Pak. I have been leasing Hondas, Infinitis, and most recently a Lexus GS350 F-Sport, and this is my first non-Japanese car since 2001. With 6 months and 9,000 miles, I am extremely satisfied with the car based upon its intended use as a performance-oriented large muscle car. The car has surprised me with its premium feel, and continues to put a smile on my face every day with every start. I had been seeking a Scat Pack 392 for months, but I decided the added expense for the larger lease payment, gas, and insurance wasn't worth it - and that pragmatically I would be unable to really fully use and enjoy the 392's power. The Super Track Pak option includes the SRT body work and goodies that comes with the Scat Pack (front fascia, rear fascia with 2.75-inch round exhaust tips, hood with intake bulge/duct, side sills, Dodge Performance Pages, and allegedly a "performance" suspension (an upgrade from the AWD and base R/T "sport" suspension, but not the all-out "high performance suspension with Bilstein shocks" that is standard on the Scat Pack - all of which is now standard on 2019 Charger R/T models). The combination of the Plus Package with Super Track Pak also "releases" the nicer front seats - the leather/suede Alcantara heated and ventilated seats. They look nice and feel great, and it's one of those features that continually reinforces feeling satisfied with the car. Other options include Navigation, Moonroof, and black painted roof. The 5.7 Hemi V8 is plenty powerful for daily use and with the Active Exhaust (and round exhaust tips), it sounds amazing, delivering an old-school, deep burble; I am a muscle car and Mopar enthusiast, and this scratches the itch!! Using remote start is a guilty pleasure just to hear the Hemi start-up. Full throttle get-aways and highway passing reveals an all-out beastly sound from the engine - and it's glorious. Gently rolling into first gear from a standstill and then really stepping on it breaks the rear wheels loose. If driving in the rain, I suggest you have nearly a full tank of gas and avoid sudden throttle inputs of more than 1/3 of pedal travel - you can break the rear wheels loose in the rain if you're not exercising just a bit of restraint. It reminds me that the 392 would have been too much for my daily use. The 8-speed automatic transmission is excellent. I love the louder exhaust in Sport Mode, and in combination with manual shifting, is a tremendous amount of fun. One item to point-out for anyone seeking a very high level of performance: The transmission does not shift as quickly as in the 392 models, even in Sport Mode, however the shifts are still very satisfying and quick enough. I find the ride and handling to be an excellent and impressive balance. It's smooth, handles corners with surprisingly little body roll, and inspires confidence. My car with the Super Track Pak and advertised "performance" suspension felt definitively more premium and less rough than the two base R/T cars I drove. I find the interior pleasurable and relatively easy to use - yes, some interior bits don't have the best fit-and-finish, but it's clear that Dodge/FCA are making improvements. The U-Connect system is good, and the inclusion of Apple Car Play is excellent - I use it all the time. I think I've used the U-Connect navigation twice in 6 months. The Dodge Performance Pages are fun - I have tried Launch Control and I think it's very good, though not necessary. Although not advertised as such, the car has "automatic climate controlled seats and steering wheel." If it's really cold, the heated driver seat and steering wheel automatically go on. If it's really hot, the ventilated/cooled driver's seat goes on. This is a great luxury. Fuel economy is as expected. With 80% highway and 20% city including manual mode fun driving, I achieve 18 to 19 mpg on 89 mid-grade. On a 260 mile trip I achieved 26.5 mpg. Gripes include: Not enough room in the foot well - some shoes rub on something when I lift from accelerator to brake pedal. I can't figure out how to have text messages send an audible alert while driving, both with and without using Apple Car Play; I constantly miss text messages. On just 2 or 3 songs, the speakers emit an odd and disturbing sound - almost like the sound of the locks locking. Haven't brought it in yet to the dealer for this issue. The red gauge accents do not provide enough clarity in the speedometer and tachometer, and I find it difficult to quickly scan the gauges while driving. There should be more rear leg room and space in a car this big! Make the automatic rain-sensing wipers part of the Plus Package!!! More than an upgraded sound system, I wish I had the rain sensing wipers. I am very, very satisfied with leasing my Charger R/T.

Daytona 392 Love it!
By K. Miller

2018 Dodge Charger Sedan Daytona 392 4dr Sedan (6.4L 8cyl 8A)

Not for comfort or economy but what a car!

do not buy dodge.
By remse ollitsac

2018 Dodge Charger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

purchased a dodge charger about 2 weeks ago, already having issues with vehicle. panels under car come off! and they will not fix it! warranty wont cover it. now car has a rattling noise under car. i was warned about dodge but didnt listen. DO NOT BUY DODGE!

2018 charger gt plus awd
By Gary

2018 Dodge Charger Sedan GT Plus 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Over all a great car. Color choices are best in industry. Comfortable interior lay out is fantastic. Beats sound system is the best in industry. Leather interior is beautiful and comfortable. Engine is where this car lacks. V6 only with the AWD not good Dodge. Yes this motor makes decent power and yes the 8 speed transmission is spectacular. Yes the all wheel drive works amazing and this car is two wheel drive 90% of the time till wipers are turned on or wheel slip is senced. Or Temp falls to 40f degrees ambient. The fit and finish all around I give a A grade . Ride quality is a little stiff as it should be it is a muscle car/ family sedan. The steering is tight and very responsive. Grip is great in corners and body roll for such a big car is quite good. It turns in the corner not much push. The car stays planted and pointed exactly where you put it and yes I push it to it's limit. My previous car was a charger rt classic m6. This car is superior to the Challenger in every way possible except the power plant. I also owned the ram 1500 with this v6 and I was impressed with it's towing capacity and fuel mileage. The chargers power is much more than the truck. Over all I give the 2018 Dodge charger gt plus AWD a 4.9 star rating. Maybe turbos would help me be a 5 star member 😁

Never thought I would buy a Dodge on purpose!
By Dave Gilbert

2018 Dodge Charger Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I already loved the way the new Chargers looked on the outside, but never considered purchasing one due to the previous bad experiences with Chrysler products that my family members have had. I drove a Charger last November at a local auto expo, and was thoroughly impressed! I already assumed it would be fun to drive, but I was astounded at how solid and well made it was.

It is rock solid, and will cruise at 100 mph as smoothly as if it were standing still. (Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt :-) ) Initial build quality is on par with the Japanese marques that I usually own. It is really hard to believe that this car came from the same company that manufactured my wife's dreadful 2010 Chrysler Sebring, the car that made her swear off American cars for life.

When it came time to shop for a new car in February, I test drove a number of different makes and models, never really thinking that I would seriously consider a Charger. And yet, no other car came close to matching the combination of performance, style, and quality the Charger offered; it was the easiest choice I had ever made on a new vehicle.

The 5.7 Liter HEMI V8 is legendary. I always start the car with the remote start feature as I walk up to it, just to hear that sweet rumble. And this car is packed with technology that actually works. It comes standard with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, so there was no need to buy the Navigation package; I simply use the navigation app on my smartphone. There are countless small features that show how much thought was put into the overall design. The hood has gas struts instead of the aggravating prop rod, there are courtesy lights galore, hooks in the trunk to hang plastic grocery bags, and the list goes on. No one would select a car based on these small details, but they make a great car even better.

I was never impressed by the aesthetics of the instrument panel while sitting in the car, as I had done at previous car shows. But when I drove it, everything clicked. For some reason, the excellent ergonomics of the instruments and switchgear while driving the car made the appearance of IP more palatable; I still have not figured out how that is possible, but it's true!

The exterior design is perfect for its intended demographic: those enthusiasts looking for an unashamedly American, no compromise muscle car (yeah, it is assembled in Canada, but still...). It is beautiful, in my opinion. There are none of the obnoxious and superfluous bulges, creases, warts, goiters, flaps, slits, nostrils, fins, or claspers that most new cars are plagued with. Who decided that the front of a car needs to look like a giant insect anyway??? Lookin' at you, 2018 Camry. It will not appeal to everyone; luxury car snobs will not be impressed. Who cares? They weren't invited to this party anyway.

I have surprisingly few nits to pick about this car; they got all of the big things right. I can really only think of two small items that I would change...there is no rear seatback release in the trunk like my older Camry had; the seatbacks have to be released from the interior. Also, I wish the active exhaust had a "quiet mode" like the new Mustangs (the only redeeming feature about the new Mustangs, IMO). I don't think the exhaust is loud enough to offend any neighbors, but I still feel a little self-conscious coming or going when my neighborhood is asleep.

I have owned the car for only three months at this point, so I cannot comment on long term reliability. If I start having any issues that are concerning, I will come back and change my rating and review accordingly. I can say this, however: my last few cars ended up being traded in every three years or so, so I decided it would make sense to lease instead of buy this time. But if this car holds together, I may consider buying it at the end of the lease and keeping it. Sure, I will be spending more on it than if I had just purchased it in the first place, but when you finally find a car that checks all of the right boxes, it's hard to think about turning it in!