2018 Dodge Charger Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Dodge Charger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Charger model:

Never thought I would buy a Dodge on purpose!
By Dave Gilbert

2018 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

I already loved the way the new Chargers looked on the outside, but never considered purchasing one due to the previous bad experiences with Chrysler products that my family members have had. I drove a Charger last November at a local auto expo, and was thoroughly impressed! I already assumed it would be fun to drive, but I was astounded at how solid and well made it was.

It is rock solid, and will cruise at 100 mph as smoothly as if it were standing still. (Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt :-) ) Initial build quality is on par with the Japanese marques that I usually own. It is really hard to believe that this car came from the same company that manufactured my wife's dreadful 2010 Chrysler Sebring, the car that made her swear off American cars for life.

When it came time to shop for a new car in February, I test drove a number of different makes and models, never really thinking that I would seriously consider a Charger. And yet, no other car came close to matching the combination of performance, style, and quality the Charger offered; it was the easiest choice I had ever made on a new vehicle.

The 5.7 Liter HEMI V8 is legendary. I always start the car with the remote start feature as I walk up to it, just to hear that sweet rumble. And this car is packed with technology that actually works. It comes standard with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, so there was no need to buy the Navigation package; I simply use the navigation app on my smartphone. There are countless small features that show how much thought was put into the overall design. The hood has gas struts instead of the aggravating prop rod, there are courtesy lights galore, hooks in the trunk to hang plastic grocery bags, and the list goes on. No one would select a car based on these small details, but they make a great car even better.

I was never impressed by the aesthetics of the instrument panel while sitting in the car, as I had done at previous car shows. But when I drove it, everything clicked. For some reason, the excellent ergonomics of the instruments and switchgear while driving the car made the appearance of IP more palatable; I still have not figured out how that is possible, but it's true!

The exterior design is perfect for its intended demographic: those enthusiasts looking for an unashamedly American, no compromise muscle car (yeah, it is assembled in Canada, but still...). It is beautiful, in my opinion. There are none of the obnoxious and superfluous bulges, creases, warts, goiters, flaps, slits, nostrils, fins, or claspers that most new cars are plagued with. Who decided that the front of a car needs to look like a giant insect anyway??? Lookin' at you, 2018 Camry. It will not appeal to everyone; luxury car snobs will not be impressed. Who cares? They weren't invited to this party anyway.

I have surprisingly few nits to pick about this car; they got all of the big things right. I can really only think of two small items that I would change...there is no rear seatback release in the trunk like my older Camry had; the seatbacks have to be released from the interior. Also, I wish the active exhaust had a "quiet mode" like the new Mustangs (the only redeeming feature about the new Mustangs, IMO). I don't think the exhaust is loud enough to offend any neighbors, but I still feel a little self-conscious coming or going when my neighborhood is asleep.

I have owned the car for only three months at this point, so I cannot comment on long term reliability. If I start having any issues that are concerning, I will come back and change my rating and review accordingly. I can say this, however: my last few cars ended up being traded in every three years or so, so I decided it would make sense to lease instead of buy this time. But if this car holds together, I may consider buying it at the end of the lease and keeping it. Sure, I will be spending more on it than if I had just purchased it in the first place, but when you finally find a car that checks all of the right boxes, it's hard to think about turning it in!

CAR IS ABSOLUTELY DYNOMITE ,OLD SCHOOL PERFORMANCE
By TONY TESORIERE

2018 Dodge Charger R/T 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

Fantastic car in all respects,old school rwd v8,sounds as good as it comes.thrilling to drive and room for family and dog .clear rear vision plus camera...a real head turner.

Loving It!
By Juan M.

2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 4dr Sedan (5.7L 8cyl 8A)

So far so good, car been running great no issues, one recall software based quickly handled, I have the 5.7 plus with super track pack. I love the looks, and people will stop to compliment the car. Front seats are very comfortable and have a lot of flexibility with lumbar support, its a great feeling when driving the car and knowing you can quickly accelerate if needed. Backsets are also comfortable with lots of room for passengers, the large trunk is excellent. I find the visibility in the car to be okay, however, you do have to be careful in getting into the back seats that you do not bump your head, once you know this you can adjust how you get in and there are no issues. I feel very safe in this car, and I like all the safety features included in my package. Well, its a V8 so gas can go fast if you drive it in sports mode all the time, I not a crazy driver so I have been lucky in getting 21mpg overall so far.

AWD for Buffalo WInters
By Vette

2018 Dodge Charger GT Plus 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

The car is fantastic all around, handles well, sporty, roomie, and comfortable. The support from the dealers however is not. After purchasing the car I noticed a small chip on the trunk on the paint in the first two weeks of owning it. Every dealer refused to put a drop of touch paint on it. It was still brand new and under warranty. Also did not come with the gas nozzle in the trunk in case you run out of gas - so look for that. Dodge dealerships also refused to give me a replacement one insisting I pay for it. The car is absolutely fantastic but the dealership support after paying 42K for a brand new vehicle is awful.

2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
By Mike

2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl S/C 8A)

This car is extreme!! Tons of fun and brings a smile to your face every time you jump on it. Loud and powerful. Good controls, very comfortable seating position, excellent ride and handling. Good intuitive controls and a superb sound system.