Used 2004 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Town and Country for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Never ceases to amaze me

motonut1, 11/21/2011

Excellent all around performer. You can use it as a week-end warrior and haul furniture or landscaping material since the seats are easily removed. Then put the seats back in, give her a quick wash and presto the van is ready to take you to the ball in luxurious style. Easy to work on if you are that type and very easy to drive even in tight parking lots. The climate control system is a no brainer in its operation as are all the electronic upgrades that separate this van from most. With a little more than 100,000 miles on her and still sporting all her original components which says a lot to me. This is a well made van that ca. take hard work and turn it into a piece of cake.

Comfortable, but terrible ongoing issues

mom, 09/28/2006

Lost oil for no reason starting at 3200 miles. Oil light kept coming on. Couldn't find source. Chrysler and dealer didn't want to deal with it, kept saying it was normal. Breaks were horrible. Had to replace every 5000 miles and were very expensive. Had to push hard on break pedal to make the vehicle slow down. My sister has the same model and she has the same problem with the breaks. Many of my passengers would hit their head when sitting into the front passenger seat. There was no way to lower the seat and prevent that from happening. Car stalled going uphill through the mountain for no apparent reason. Cruise control would accelerate without reason. Very unreliable for a new vehicle.

Fantastic Value, Great Comfort

tcg, 04/24/2004

Our plan was to purchase a new van by summer prior to vacation. The last Saturday in February we went grocery shopping, stopped by the Chrysler dealer just to look at what was available. Two hours later we were driving our new Chrysler home (which included a test drive in the van to deliver our groceries and check edmunds.com) From finding the van with the features we desired to the comfort of the ride to the unbelievably pleasant purchasing experience we are extremely pleased with our purchase!

Problem after problem

Dave, 04/01/2007

T&C is a comfotable ride but that is it. Both automatic doors broke. The front stuts went twice. The brake rotors needed to be replaced before 15,000 miles. The factory tires were junk, one tire had a broken band at 10k miles. The aluminum wheels are next to impossible to clean. The alternator has been replaced too. I bought this as my first new car so I would not have problems for years and boy was I wrong. My 13 year old Volvo has still not had one ploblem but this van is always in the shop.

3 Chrysler Mini-vans since 1989

Junk Dog Tires, 04/13/2005

Have owned a 1989 Dodge LE Mini-van, 1999 Chrysler LX Mini-van and last year purchased a 2004 Chrysler Limited T & C Of the 3 the 2004 is superior except for one very serious Chrysler Supply- Chain problem. Mini-van was delivered with a tire manufacturer's defect. Replacement tire had defects worse than the original defective tire. Tire was the Bridgestone EL42, which has a very low wear rating and a "B" traction rating. Chrysler chooses to mount these poor tires on the $ 37,000.+ Limited, while Ford Freestar listing at $ 16,000 less than the Chrysler Limited were arriving with Michelin Symmetrys that have superior tire ratings.

whine whine whine

Robert M Haywood, 07/01/2017
Touring Platinum Series Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

seems chrysler cant build a power steering box. since day one (second owner 148000 miles to start) the power steering box whines and is very loud. Also once we got the car off the lot and got it home it started sputtering and running really rough. I did a tune up and that fixed the problem. spark plugs were filthy. Problem number three the fuel pump leaks fuel still have not fixed that because no time the vehicle is always on the road. I will say im impressed with the transmission Dodge and Chrysler are notorious for transmission problems. the 2004 I own shifts nicely and the van now has 165000 on it. the 3.8 motor is a power house and the kids love the DVD player. Im not sure I would buy another one though

dick Mayhew, 05/19/2008

It has been an excellent vehicle. It is easy on the highway and performs fine. It carries what we need to transport to our winter location.

Pain in the...

nice, but terrible, 04/16/2004

Happlily purchased a 03 LXi and had no problem for 6 months until the transmission started slipping and clunking between 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Since then its been in the shop 5 times with the same problem. In the shop currently for its 6th visit getting a brand new transmission put in. On top of the trans we've had the belt tensioner replaced twice when a chirping sound started under the hood. Weather stripping along roofline just over passenger doors split and paint is chipping. Love the design, but our LXi is a piece of junk. 2 words...LEMON LAW.

once per year major repair

Dad two boys, 05/18/2010

very nice and comfortable ride for family of four. reliability is terrible: 2x steering replaced (rod and/or rack/pinion, not sure) 2x front end suspension replaced 1x transmission rebuilt 1x rear brakes/mounts completely replaced several electrical jobs power windows work intermittently engine dies frequently when idling at red light, finishing quality terrible: window casing brittle and started braking after 1y bit by bit), paint on handles came off very early on, rattling sounds in cabin I will never buy Chrysler again: 1 huge repair per year Best decision ever: most comprehensive extended Chrysler warranty - but 100$ deductable per occurence.... terrible dealer experiences

Wonder Wagon

Sheer, 01/25/2004

I purchased a UK spec Chrysler Grand Voyager (the name for Town and Country here) in Limited trim with the Mercedes sourced common rail diesel, as petrol is taxed to an insane level in this country most people are moving away from the larger petrols. This 2.5 CRD does 0-60 in 12 secs yet on a resent trip down the the French alps (approx 950 miles) it averaged 38 mpg doing 90mph with 6 passengers on board. I'd happily do without the 3.8 V6 with results like that. Its a great all round car and nothing has gone wrong, and this is my third 'town and country.'

3rd one

repeat owner, 08/29/2009

I've owned a 94, 01 and now 04 T&C AWD van and am obviously satisifed. Each has had front stabilizer bar bushings replaced at least once. The current one has about 74,000 miles and except for a power window motor and prematurely worn driver's seat upholstery, has been a great vehicle. It gets 25 mpg at 60 mph and 23.5 at 65 - 70 mph on trips and about 18 in suburban driving. My handicapped father gets in and out easily, it is comfortable for 6 adults, can tow a trailer or with the seats removed, can cart furniture, etc. With all wheel drive, it goes great in the snow. It is not exciting to own, but a very practical and reliable vehicle.

The Minivan Leader!!!!!

Yuriy, 09/16/2003

This is the top luxurious van I ever drove. Compared to Chevy Ventures, its way different. Anyone looking for a minivan I would recommend a Chrysler Town & Country!!!! You wont regret!

My Second One

Duffy, 12/06/2003

Traded in my '02 T&TC Ltd. and loaded this one up with AWD, GPS and moonroof. This is one awesome vehicle as I enjoy bells and whistles. Very few changes from the last but I wanted AWD and this is the last year they are going to offer it. Highly recommend to anyone. I'd rather drive the van than my Cadilac.

AWD Limited

chac, 12/08/2003

Fabulous van. Had a Caravan AWD for 10 years and was time to trade for a 2004. Tested the new Sienna and liked the Chrysler much better. I have no complaints. Quiet, great ride, comfortable, good acceleration and brakes. Very impressed.

FRONT SEAT

BOB R, 01/24/2004

FRONT DRIVERS SEAT IS NOT FOR A MAN. MY LEGS WILL START TO HURT AFTER A WHILE. WE HAD A 93 VOYAGER AND IT WAS BETTER FOR ME. OTHER THAN THE SEAT PROBLEM WE LIKE IT.

Fun and DEPENDABLE

rmarch, 01/24/2004

This is the fifth crysler mini van. I put 225,000 to 250,000 miles in a 4 to 5 year period. All have performed great. These vehicles are used for work (transporting computer equipment) and family trips (still give smooth carefree ride).

problems problems problems

nancy, 12/22/2005

we had a 2001 t &c prior to the 2004 thought the problems with that one were a fluke and loved the ride and thought lets get a new one. big mistake. same problems with transmission 1 year in and still going . car just dies, slips gears. all gets fixs under warranty and then something else. planning to get rid and move on put low and behold the trade in and resale is terrible. lesson learned a shame because the price is so affordable for a family. i have since learned i am by far not alone many many people have had problems leaving them stranded with the kids like i several times. I have roadside and AAA. and soon to have a toyota. not to mention a $3000 loss.

As the miles go by...

T&C Driver, 01/21/2004

I've enjoyed this van. It is a 2002. It's styling is very tolerable or perhaps attractive in relation to other vans. It's power and handling are large sedan-like. While I say I've enjoyed this van, I have not escaped trips to the garage to address cheap craftsmanship such as sliding door bumpers falling out, inoperable rear auto door, transmission computer chip failure, dashboard gone bonkers (assessed to be poor little mice seeking a warm place in the winter and that chewed wires while they were enjoying the warmth-???). At 50K miles, I beginning to get an itch to sell. An Odyssey is certainly on my list to look at as an alternative.

Very Satisfied Buyer

D'ara Klein, 05/14/2006

Great purchase, comfortable for 2 year old and 2 month old. Grandparents comfortably ride along too! Reliable and safe, handles well on wet, slippery Florida roads. Love the DVD and good sound system. This is a working van as well, and carries plenty of weight, heavy supplies. Very smooth, we use it on many dirt and gravel roads. No real problems, general maintenance only, and inexpensive to drive. Good milege, very happy with overall costs. Wife loves comfort, but it's a tough van and fun to drive and handles very well. Highly recommend for families that want a safe, comfortable, and reliable vehicle. Sound investment, no complaints whatsoever. Best looking mini van on the market!

Good mini-van

Ben, 04/04/2008

Since owning 3 minivans since 1994, I'm ready to change cars. That said with 70k and no repairs, it's been a very reliable, if less than spectacular vehicle. Brake dust is an issue. Mileage of 21-22 could be better, but no problems. Less sway than earlier Dodge models and an apparently more reliable transmission. Have changed brake pads once.

great car

bubba12, 09/10/2003

I love this car. It is so functional yet very comfortable and I have a lot of extras because I am in the car constantly.

Luxury and atmosphere

Mrs wellness, 02/05/2004

We looked into getting a Toyota Sienna - but found that for less money and less waiting we could have the T and C and it had all the features we wanted. We are picky and did our research and have absolutely no regrets. It is asthetically pleasing... smooth ride... great climate control, ample sound system, comfortable seats...classy and fun to drive.We do not have fold down 3rd row seats... but the removable seats are more comfortable then what we saw in fold down seat versions. So we can live with that.

WORSE VAN EVER

ROBERT , 02/17/2004

IF YOU WANT TO BUY A MINI VAN BUY SOMETHING THAT RELIABLE AND USEFUL. THIS VAN MIGHT CHEAPER THAN ANY OTHER VAN BUT DOESN'T HAVE QUALITY AND RESALE VALUE. YOU WILL SURPRISE TO FIND OUT RESALE VALUE OF THIS VAN. AND I HAD EXPERIANCE SO MANY REPAIR PROBLEMS THAT THIS VAN OCCURED. I WENT FOUR TIMES LAST YEAR ALONG TO FIX THIS VAN. ANYWAY, IF YOU THINKING ABOUT BUYING THIS VAN GO GET PRICE UNDER $15000.00 THAT MIGHT OK. IT DOESN'T WORTH IT.

Can't use driver side window

shiloh462, 10/30/2010

This car is fun to drive. The navigator has helped me get around in unknown areas. It is very reliable; however, the driver side window won't come down. The dealer claimed to have fixed it, but no dice.

New user

Ru, 03/02/2004

Very comfortable vehicle. Old exterior design.

Good Bye HONDA TROUBLES

BillW, 09/15/2003

I love it! After putting two transmissions, rotors, and a new air conditioning unit in my 2001 Honda Odyessy, I can say that I'll never buy another HONDA! This van is wonderful. I even told my brother to get rid of his HONDA. His is in the shop right now for rotors. HONDA SERVICE IS TERRIBLE!

chrysler platinum edition minivan

rich2048, 12/02/2003

great value great vehicle. i road tested many minivans and this is the smoothest driving machine ive ever been in, can't beat it.

Nice Van- Touring/Platinum

KWatson, 12/16/2003

Loved the color scheme on the platinum ed (no faux wood)Great value - compared to Toy/Nissan. I would NOT buy a 1st yr redesign. Not even Chryslers next yr. So, the choice was either T&C or Honda. With over 2 kids-the fold flat seats are a moot point. Styling & ride sold us. $1k under invoice + rebates. Not bad.

Chrysler Limited 2003

descab43, 02/15/2004

Started with a 1993 Plymouth van which my wife and I drove for 285000 miles and had virtually no problems. We then purchased a Chrysler T&C in 1997,Traded in 2002, and then again in 2003. We are extremely pleased with our vans in terms of reliability,comfort,appearance, and price. Excellent vehicles!!

Loyal Chrysler Customer

funandopps, 02/17/2004

So far so good. I first rented a Town and Country and found it to one of the most smoothest rides I have ever had in a vehicle. I liked it so much that I purchased one a week later.

Excellent Ride

Jimmy H., 02/18/2004

I have had nothing but pleasure driving this van. A great family vehicle.

Very Good!

jolly, 02/21/2004

Just replaced front pad and power steering hose. 25 mpg on trip with 4 aboard

LONG TRIPS HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE ENJOYABL

julie porter, 02/21/2004

Finally a vehicle with all the perks a growing family can enjoy.I dreaded long rides our family would take to visit relatives..Now We look forward to them due to the reliable smooth versatile fun ride The Town and Country provides. Go Chrysler!!!!

Amazing Ride

gocubs, 03/05/2004

I wasn't a big fan of mini vans and when my wife suggested we spend around 40k on one I was less then thrilled. I'm glad she talked me into the Town and Country Limited. Don't skimp on the features go for the loaded one you'll be glad you did.

Love my T&C

T&C Fan, 05/07/2004

My Dad has a 1991 T&C with almost 200,000 miles on it. still runs great. Which convinced me to buy one myself. I have had this van for several months now and I love it. Extremely comfortable, I have bench seats in the back and they are even very comfortable, lots of cargo room...But, I strongly suggest if you're going to be using the van to haul a lot of things. get the fold flat seats. I didn't, and I regret it. Even with the 3.3L V6, it has enough power for me. very smooth shifting transmission.

Just FANTASTIC

TMMerlin, 06/17/2004

This is a "top quality" minivan and is most likely the "best inclass luxury van". Everything about this Limited is superior to any van I have driven or was a rider in. It is fully loaded "bumper to bumper" and if you take care of it, it will be your "main ride for many years: ..!

good choice

lizwales, 07/08/2004

I have only had my new mini van a few weeks, It took me months to decide what I wanted. I went to so many dealer ships in california, I looked at so many different types of Suvs none of them did anything for me, then I saw the town & country limited minivan and that was it, I was hooked, I'm so happy with it.

JOE'S REVIEW

JOE'S REVIEW, 09/15/2004

THE VAN IS GOOD

Best Van Ever

Perry Stevens, 09/28/2004

The Town and Country Touring Van is the best money can buy. I have purchased the 2005 model with the stowe and go seats. No need to take out the seats anymore. That is a big plus since you never know when you need the extra room. Fit and finish is super. Has everything I need. I recomend if your going to buy a van get this one,and forget the rest.

The best van ever, hands down

djv, 10/01/2004

All you need to do is look at this van and you will fall in love, use it and you will appreciate it, compare it to the compeditors and you will want to buy the Chrysler engineers dinner. This van does everything incredibly well. And is extrodinarily safe and easy to use.

ANNUAL DISK/PAD REPLACEMENT HOG

Linda Repsher, 01/09/2008

I only drive aprox. 10,000 miles per year. Since I owned this car the front discs and pads were replaced every year. The back were replaced twice. At $400 a pop this is a very expensive maintenance. No one, even a race car driver should go thru breaks like this. Now every little sensor is dying. They also go around $275. each. No reliability for this vehicle. Never again Chrysler. No wonder your heading toward Chapter 11.

No more Honda

DaveSutton1, 09/21/2003

After trading a very problemsom Honda Odyssey, I can say that I'm very pleased with my purchase. It doesn't have any of the reliabilty problems of the Honda and delivers a Quiet ride at a better price.

Nice to drive but concerned for quality

StephenS, 09/26/2003

Bought just a few weeks ago and Love the drivability. Very comfortable to travel in. 3 days after we picked it up the Service Engine light went on. Took it to the dealership and they found the Diagnostic computer had failed. The dealership replaced it from a unit on the lot as they are back ordered. Uh Oh.. Love it though and only time will tell if this was an isolated event.

Fresh air

ChristenGlr, 10/01/2003

I love my Town and Country. After turning in my Honda Odyssey lease that was in the shop for most of the two years I owned it, I discovered that Edmunds.com must be somehow getting paid by Honda to write good reviews of thier products. I don't have any of the problems associated with Hondas. No squeeks, rattles, warping brakes, or shifting problems like in the Odyssey. I think I will keep it after my lease is up. The BEST!

Better? YES!!!

DMDUBAY, 10/02/2003

I have owned 2 chrysler vans before selling out to the Honda Odyssey. After 2 years with the Honda, I had more numerous and major problems with it than I ever had with my Chryslers. I did look at the new Toyota Sienna and Nissan Quest but the Toyota is much too ugly and the Nissan too weird to own and both are too expensive without any rebates. Only the Chrysler appealed to me. I'm glad I switched back.

Best mini ever

BEST MINI EVER, 01/09/2005

Previously owened a ford expedition and this mini van drove much better and Quieter. On the ford we got almost 15 miles to the gallon on the high way and about 10 miles to the gallon in the city.On the mini van we get up to 28 miles to the gallon on highway and about 17 miles to the gallon in the city.This van came with so many great things such as 2 wierless headphones, power sliding doors and power lift gate and MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE.

Repeat Customer

7thindiana, 10/08/2003

This is our third Town & Country, each of which was a new vehicle. The first was a'96. Both it and the '99 were leased. We purchased the current model. My wife is the primary driver, though we both generally prefer to drive this vehicle on trips, rather than my '03 Aurora. The grandkids think grandma's van is the ultimate, and never miss a chance to get in and buckle up.

FUN TO DRIVE VAN

MRNEWBOMB, 10/14/2003

GREAT VAN. WE ONLY HAVE 2000 MILES ON IT SO FAR. BUT IT HAS BEEN GREAT SO FAR NO TROUBLES.

Chrysler Touring

Pitt1991, 10/18/2003

Started looking for a mini van a few months ago first the all new Quest didn;t like the dash. Then we tried the most talked about van the Honda, the ride was inferior to the Town and Country it the road noise. Honda woouldn't deal on a 03 so we looked at the 04 Town and Country once we drove it we were sold. A great ride with great features.

Wonderful...

DevonStys, 10/16/2003

This is a great vehicle. I just got oout of a 2002 Honda Odyessy lease and to tell you the truth, this is a much better van. The Honda had to have so much service that it was out of my hands for almost a month. The Town and Country rides better, doesnt squeak or rattle like the Honda, and looks ten times better. Sales staff were much better also. Not so arrogant! I'll never go back to Honda.

51050