Used 2004 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan Consumer Reviews

Used Town and Country for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Never ceases to amaze me

motonut1, 11/21/2011

Excellent all around performer. You can use it as a week-end warrior and haul furniture or landscaping material since the seats are easily removed. Then put the seats back in, give her a quick wash and presto the van is ready to take you to the ball in luxurious style. Easy to work on if you are that type and very easy to drive even in tight parking lots. The climate control system is a no brainer in its operation as are all the electronic upgrades that separate this van from most. With a little more than 100,000 miles on her and still sporting all her original components which says a lot to me. This is a well made van that ca. take hard work and turn it into a piece of cake.

Comfortable, but terrible ongoing issues

mom, 09/28/2006

Lost oil for no reason starting at 3200 miles. Oil light kept coming on. Couldn't find source. Chrysler and dealer didn't want to deal with it, kept saying it was normal. Breaks were horrible. Had to replace every 5000 miles and were very expensive. Had to push hard on break pedal to make the vehicle slow down. My sister has the same model and she has the same problem with the breaks. Many of my passengers would hit their head when sitting into the front passenger seat. There was no way to lower the seat and prevent that from happening. Car stalled going uphill through the mountain for no apparent reason. Cruise control would accelerate without reason. Very unreliable for a new vehicle.

Fantastic Value, Great Comfort

tcg, 04/24/2004

Our plan was to purchase a new van by summer prior to vacation. The last Saturday in February we went grocery shopping, stopped by the Chrysler dealer just to look at what was available. Two hours later we were driving our new Chrysler home (which included a test drive in the van to deliver our groceries and check edmunds.com) From finding the van with the features we desired to the comfort of the ride to the unbelievably pleasant purchasing experience we are extremely pleased with our purchase!

Problem after problem

Dave, 04/01/2007

T&C is a comfotable ride but that is it. Both automatic doors broke. The front stuts went twice. The brake rotors needed to be replaced before 15,000 miles. The factory tires were junk, one tire had a broken band at 10k miles. The aluminum wheels are next to impossible to clean. The alternator has been replaced too. I bought this as my first new car so I would not have problems for years and boy was I wrong. My 13 year old Volvo has still not had one ploblem but this van is always in the shop.

3 Chrysler Mini-vans since 1989

Junk Dog Tires, 04/13/2005

Have owned a 1989 Dodge LE Mini-van, 1999 Chrysler LX Mini-van and last year purchased a 2004 Chrysler Limited T & C Of the 3 the 2004 is superior except for one very serious Chrysler Supply- Chain problem. Mini-van was delivered with a tire manufacturer's defect. Replacement tire had defects worse than the original defective tire. Tire was the Bridgestone EL42, which has a very low wear rating and a "B" traction rating. Chrysler chooses to mount these poor tires on the $ 37,000.+ Limited, while Ford Freestar listing at $ 16,000 less than the Chrysler Limited were arriving with Michelin Symmetrys that have superior tire ratings.

whine whine whine

Robert M Haywood, 07/01/2017
Touring Platinum Series Fwd 4dr Ext Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

seems chrysler cant build a power steering box. since day one (second owner 148000 miles to start) the power steering box whines and is very loud. Also once we got the car off the lot and got it home it started sputtering and running really rough. I did a tune up and that fixed the problem. spark plugs were filthy. Problem number three the fuel pump leaks fuel still have not fixed that because no time the vehicle is always on the road. I will say im impressed with the transmission Dodge and Chrysler are notorious for transmission problems. the 2004 I own shifts nicely and the van now has 165000 on it. the 3.8 motor is a power house and the kids love the DVD player. Im not sure I would buy another one though

dick Mayhew, 05/19/2008

It has been an excellent vehicle. It is easy on the highway and performs fine. It carries what we need to transport to our winter location.

Pain in the...

nice, but terrible, 04/16/2004

Happlily purchased a 03 LXi and had no problem for 6 months until the transmission started slipping and clunking between 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Since then its been in the shop 5 times with the same problem. In the shop currently for its 6th visit getting a brand new transmission put in. On top of the trans we've had the belt tensioner replaced twice when a chirping sound started under the hood. Weather stripping along roofline just over passenger doors split and paint is chipping. Love the design, but our LXi is a piece of junk. 2 words...LEMON LAW.

once per year major repair

Dad two boys, 05/18/2010

very nice and comfortable ride for family of four. reliability is terrible: 2x steering replaced (rod and/or rack/pinion, not sure) 2x front end suspension replaced 1x transmission rebuilt 1x rear brakes/mounts completely replaced several electrical jobs power windows work intermittently engine dies frequently when idling at red light, finishing quality terrible: window casing brittle and started braking after 1y bit by bit), paint on handles came off very early on, rattling sounds in cabin I will never buy Chrysler again: 1 huge repair per year Best decision ever: most comprehensive extended Chrysler warranty - but 100$ deductable per occurence.... terrible dealer experiences

Wonder Wagon

Sheer, 01/25/2004

I purchased a UK spec Chrysler Grand Voyager (the name for Town and Country here) in Limited trim with the Mercedes sourced common rail diesel, as petrol is taxed to an insane level in this country most people are moving away from the larger petrols. This 2.5 CRD does 0-60 in 12 secs yet on a resent trip down the the French alps (approx 950 miles) it averaged 38 mpg doing 90mph with 6 passengers on board. I'd happily do without the 3.8 V6 with results like that. Its a great all round car and nothing has gone wrong, and this is my third 'town and country.'

12345...8