2018 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Volt model:

New 2018 Owner
By Andrew

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have owned 2018 Volt for almost one month. Instead of enjoying “new car owner” experience I’ve spent most of my month with various loaners from dealership and researching lemon laws as Volt has had reoccuring issues including propulsion issue and electronic stability control vehicle trouble codes.

My second Volt
By Mike

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I liked my 2015 Volt so much I bought another one. Plenty of room for me and a passenger. Back seat leg room not much, but would be okay for children. Car rides very good, handles great, acceleration is super especially in sport mode. My average economy is 94.6 mpg. I spend time on freeway or my economy would be well over 100 mpg. Cargo space is very good in this hatchback. I got a chevy floor mat for the cargo space that was designed for a Equinox. The mat is actually about 3 inches to small for the area. That should tell you something. With the back seats down, there is a lot of room for golf clubs, bowling balls, etc. The tax rebate makes the cost about 25000. My car is the red tint coat and the paint job is great. After I put about 3 layers of Zanio on, it will really look great.

1st gen was so good, I bought a Gen 2
By Paulie Bee

2018 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is so under appreciated by the mass majority of people looking to purchase a hybrid of any kind. It's also one that GM needs to be more aggressive on advertising and getting people to truly understand it's capabilities. To the reviewer on this site about only getting 40 miles of charge, I'd say he should get it checked, but also to read the manual and realize that the "estimated" range is based upon previous drive cycles. If you're hard in the throttle, or driving over 60 mph, the range will certainly be less. My wife LOVES driving our Gen 2 Volt, to the point that she prefers to drive the newer Volt over our 2017 Camaro SS. The infotainment and center stack in general is much better than the touch sensitive center stack of the first generation Volt due to ease of operation. Reliability has been a huge plus from our Gen 1 Volt, which is another reason we purchased a second one ... and rather than trade in the one that was paid off, we decided to keep it instead for our daughter to drive in a couple years. There are a few things I like better with the Gen 1 and many improvements for the Gen 2, but I guess I wish we'd have waited for the 2019 to come out, as there are still more features that I'd like to have on my 2018 Volt. The ICE (gas engine) definitely gets better highway mpg after there are more miles driven on it. I recently took a trip to California, and saw nearly 43 mpg on all gas driving 75-85 mph on I-70 and I-15 through Utah, Nevada, and on into California. There's some rather hilly terrain on that trek, but the Volt just chugged right along with no problems whatsoever. We love both our Volts, and hopefully, GM will keep improving it while maintaining it's reliability in the future generations. I also hope GM starts to advertise the car better, as it deserves so much more that people give it credit for. There's not a day that goes by in which someone doesn't stop me to ask about the car after I park somewhere or while filling up at a gas station. The worst estimated EV range I've had is 48 miles (daily mountain driving). My best estimated range so far is 73 miles. I know I could surpass that if I were to keep driving that same trip for a week, but I'd rather put more miles on the older Volt (currently at 175K miles). If you're even thinking of a new 4 passenger car, you owe it to yourself to test drive a Volt and compare it to other cars. And don't forget that nice $7,500 federal tax credit ... as in, you'll get $7,500 dollars back when you file your taxes, not $7,500 less of taxable income.

I don't have to buy gas for months!
By WandaWoman

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I drive round trip every day about 50 miles. In the summer, I get home and back with NO gas usage. In the winter, I may have to go a few miles on gas. I went from May 3 to October 25 without buying gas!! (and had to do so that soon only because I forgot to plug in 2 days!!) When I got the car, I just went home and plugged it into the regular 110 plug in the garage but it was on a line with other things in our house and my blow dryer blew the fuse and the car went nuts (starting blaring). And you really need to get it on its own line anyway, so we just got a new 110 outlet in the garage. It charges overnight and is fully charged in the morning. Over the first year I had only on average 180 KW more each month on the electric bill so it is barely noticeable but the gas savings are great! I had been spending over $100/month on gas. It is a sharp looking car, as well, and I get a lot of compliments. The best thing is, however, that I feel I am doing my little bit for the environment and I really strongly encourage others to buy one. The best of both worlds - electric for a daily commute but gas in case you need it, particularly for longer trips. Get one!!

Amazing Car
By Seth Segall

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is amazing! I use it mostly for driving in town and I haven't put any gas in it yet. It recharges just fine overnight using a 120 electrical connection in my garage. It looks sharp and handles like a dream. It accelerates well, handles curves well, brakes are good, and the ride is smooth. Road noise is not a problem. It seats four comfortably and their is sufficient room for my daily cargo and shopping needs. The gas engine gives me the confidence I need to feel I can travel longer distances if I need to without any difficulty. I love the touchscreen and Apple play, and the radio is just fine.