2018 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Volt model:

Amazing Car
By Seth Segall

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is amazing! I use it mostly for driving in town and I haven't put any gas in it yet. It recharges just fine overnight using a 120 electrical connection in my garage. It looks sharp and handles like a dream. It accelerates well, handles curves well, brakes are good, and the ride is smooth. Road noise is not a problem. It seats four comfortably and their is sufficient room for my daily cargo and shopping needs. The gas engine gives me the confidence I need to feel I can travel longer distances if I need to without any difficulty. I love the touchscreen and Apple play, and the radio is just fine.

A real electric car, with a back-up plan.
By Dennis

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Here's the important point: The Volt is the ONLY plug-in hybrid (PHEV) that operates as a FULLY electric vehicle until the battery is exhausted. Every other PHEV on the market will kick on the gas engine if you floor the throttle, and most will kick on the gas engine if you turn on the heater even in mild weather. Not the Volt. It is an honest-to-goodness electric car for 53 miles. After that, it operates as a very smooth and quiet hybrid. In other words, the Volt isn't aimed at the would-be hybrid buyer who just wants a plug for a few extra MPG. It's aimed at the would-be electric car buyer who doesn't want to be restricted by the limited availability of public charging infrastructure. For most drivers, 53 miles of EV range is enough that all normal daily driving will take place on electricity. And when it's time for a road trip, there's no need to plan ahead to find charging stations and allow extra charging time---just put gas in the car and go, just like a normal gas vehicle. It's the best of both worlds. The only real downsides to the Volt are so-so visibility from the driver's seat---though available safety nannies mitigate that---and limited rear headroom.

A case for the Chevy Volt
By Adam Cohen

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

There is something a plug in hybrid electric vehicle (phev) gives you that no other car does (gas, hybrid or electric) - the flexibility to use different fuels, as well as the ability to obtain a miles per gallon equivalent (mpge) between 30 and 120, depending on how you drive. You can even achieve beyond the 120 mpge if you charge on solar cells or another renewable. The Volt gets 42 mpg on strictly gas (highway and city), which is remarkable considering the car weighs approx 3,550 lbs. Although there are some hybrids that do better on gas, the Malibu, Camry and Accord hybrids, to name a few, they can never achieve any better than about 50 mpg. Other benefits the Volt offers are excellent acceleration, low noise, no noticeable on/off engine at stop light in hybrid mode (the car does not engage the engine until the car has reached a certain speed), good weight balance due to battery placement. Also, the drive train of the Volt, consisting of two electric motors, one efficient internal combustion engine, and two planetary gear sets (in lieu of transmission), is proving to be the platform of choice for performance, efficiency and flexibility.

Happy Buyer except Seatbelt Dinger&window stickers
By Fred Daniel

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Very pleased with the car except for issue [1] - Chevy keeps using driver side window stickers with glue that cannot be removed. These stickers inhibit driver vision and must be removed. When the sticker is removed, a large area of sticky glue remains that catches the rubber window seal and attempts to tear it loose, while making a terrible sound as the window goes up and down. To remove the glue residual, the buyer must use something like gasoline or GOO-BE-GONE to soften the glue so a rag can remove it. After the glue is removed, there is an oily residue remaining, that must be removed with a window cleaner. This 30-minute exercise is not appreciated as I recall I had the same problem on the last Chevy I purchased.
Issue [2] - Seatbelt dinger is adjustable from very loud to painfully loud. Wife does not like driving the new car with such a loud seatbelt dinger. I cannot resolve and believe dealer will not consider an actual fault that requires repair.

Good Early Experience in Complex Vehicle
By Bruce Clarkson

2018 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

So far so good. We've only put a few thousand miles on it but have had no problem. This is a car for which you need to read the manual. There's a bunch of features, etc. That said, once you've gone through it once, it's pretty friendly to operate. Perhaps the weirdest thing is how if you ignore the look of the instrumentation you may forget that you're driving a battery/hybrid vehicle. It just drives like a regular car should. That said, pickup, braking, handing and ride comfort are all better than I expected but, of course, still not a muscle car. We've routinely achieved Chevy's promised electric-only range. It works well for us for around-town trips in our moderate sized town. Around town we're using _no_ gasoline. We've put a higher percentage of long haul miles on it so far. It's been comfortable for that too. Gas mileage has been (only) slightly less that Chevy promised. The combined mileage has been a real significant cost decrease over the vehicle it replaced. If I had to complain (all minor), the sat nav is OK but not as handy as the Garmin that I am used to. I think I wish the forward collision avoidance would actually stop the vehicle in critical situations such as how I think Subaru performs. (Never owned a vehicle with that feature but I think I'd like it.) I occasionally hit my head getting into the car. The interior seems a little spartan. I wish the cruise control was adaptive or not (fixed for 2019?). The dynamic-only brake activation is too binary (not true of the brake pedal where Chevy has done a good job of integrating dynamic and friction braking). All in all, we're pleasantly surprised by this vehicle.