2018 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Volt model:

Happy Buyer except Seatbelt Dinger&window stickers
By Fred Daniel

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Very pleased with the car except for issue [1] - Chevy keeps using driver side window stickers with glue that cannot be removed. These stickers inhibit driver vision and must be removed. When the sticker is removed, a large area of sticky glue remains that catches the rubber window seal and attempts to tear it loose, while making a terrible sound as the window goes up and down. To remove the glue residual, the buyer must use something like gasoline or GOO-BE-GONE to soften the glue so a rag can remove it. After the glue is removed, there is an oily residue remaining, that must be removed with a window cleaner. This 30-minute exercise is not appreciated as I recall I had the same problem on the last Chevy I purchased.
Issue [2] - Seatbelt dinger is adjustable from very loud to painfully loud. Wife does not like driving the new car with such a loud seatbelt dinger. I cannot resolve and believe dealer will not consider an actual fault that requires repair.

Good Early Experience in Complex Vehicle
By Bruce Clarkson

2018 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

So far so good. We've only put a few thousand miles on it but have had no problem. This is a car for which you need to read the manual. There's a bunch of features, etc. That said, once you've gone through it once, it's pretty friendly to operate. Perhaps the weirdest thing is how if you ignore the look of the instrumentation you may forget that you're driving a battery/hybrid vehicle. It just drives like a regular car should. That said, pickup, braking, handing and ride comfort are all better than I expected but, of course, still not a muscle car. We've routinely achieved Chevy's promised electric-only range. It works well for us for around-town trips in our moderate sized town. Around town we're using _no_ gasoline. We've put a higher percentage of long haul miles on it so far. It's been comfortable for that too. Gas mileage has been (only) slightly less that Chevy promised. The combined mileage has been a real significant cost decrease over the vehicle it replaced. If I had to complain (all minor), the sat nav is OK but not as handy as the Garmin that I am used to. I think I wish the forward collision avoidance would actually stop the vehicle in critical situations such as how I think Subaru performs. (Never owned a vehicle with that feature but I think I'd like it.) I occasionally hit my head getting into the car. The interior seems a little spartan. I wish the cruise control was adaptive or not (fixed for 2019?). The dynamic-only brake activation is too binary (not true of the brake pedal where Chevy has done a good job of integrating dynamic and friction braking). All in all, we're pleasantly surprised by this vehicle.

Detailed review + buying advice
By Anthony G

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We’ve had the Volt a month, and we love it so far. I tested a used 1st gen. Volt before going for this and they feel very different. While the 1st gen. had funky touch controls that weren’t very useable, this 2nd gen. is more conventional but far more intuitive. The look inside is much cleaner now too, almost European — think VW Golf.

More importantly, the 2nd gen. feels far more “electric”. Until the battery runs out it feels like an EV, with great low end torque and a very quiet drive. The handling is much tighter too. It’s no sports car, but it’s definitely fun to drive with the *whoosh* of silent acceleration. It’s also got enough left at highway speeds to make matching speed to change lanes easy.

Buying advice —

LEASING

I calculated the depreciation based on previous years, and it’s roughly $3K a year for the 2nd gen. (similar to most non-premium cars), but drops $5K from 1st to 2nd gen. In other words, if a new version comes out before you sell yours, the value will drop significantly. Since the electric/hybrid market is also changing rapidly right now, I think leasing is a safer bet.

TRIM AND OPTIONS

I tested the LE base model, and for me the cloth seats really weren’t comfortable even on a short drive. The leather seats were much more supportive, and I’d highly recommend them especially if you have any back issues.

If you care about music, the Bose Audio upgrade is in a different league to the LE base audio. The base version has no bass (ha!), just a thin sound without any warmth or depth. The Bose is very pleasant, with a likeable balanced sound that doesn’t require tweaking to sound good across most genres of music. The silent electric ride complements it well too.

Look carefully at the differences between the LE and Premium versions to see if it’s really worth the significant jump in price. Personally I’d say the Premium is mostly worth it if you also add all the Driver Confidence upgrades on top, but then it gets pretty costly. We went for LE + leather + Bose. There were very few LE models with the Bose, but push and see if they can do a “dealer swap” to get you exactly the trim you want. It’s a big purchase, don’t get talked into compromising!

Note — the upcoming 2019 model has more differences between the trim levels, so if you’re buying once it’s out there might be something that makes the Premium trim worth it for you.

NIGGLES

The liftback style is great — we can get a road bike in the back easily without taking a wheel off — but it opens high so be careful to not hit garage doors etc.

Apple CarPlay sometimes connects instantly, sometimes takes a while, and occasionally just doesn’t connect and needs unplugging and a second attempt. Once it works I love it though, and it’s easily the best Siri experience I’ve had. It actually understands me (maybe a good mic near my head?), and is genuinely useful for sending and replying to texts safely while driving.

The a/c is a little confusing at first, but works well once you get the hang of it. It’s also great to be able to “pre-condition” the car (start the a/c) remotely using the iPhone app! This still works even if you don’t subscribe to any OnStar plan.

The FM radio quality is slightly muddy. It seems better than regular FM, but not as clean as our previous HD radio.

Be careful of the low front over speed bumps. The ‘regen’ paddle works well for slowing right down approaching them.

Disappointed
By John Brakey

2018 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is a piece of junk. I cant emagine how GM claims that it charges for 53 miles but it barely charges 40 (brand new). It should be illegal for them to claim that but I guess they can get away with it. Stay away from this, it’s not worth it.

Phenomenal car, best in class.
By VKS

2018 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt has met my fuel efficiency expectations and then some. I'm getting 50-mile electric range on the freeway and 60-mile electric range in the city. My records are a 67-mile electric range with heavy use of the paddles and 66-mile electric range using adaptive cruise control. I am braking only when I need to stop fast. All slowing and slower stopping can be done using the paddles, which are the more efficient regeneration option to the regenerative braking. So far, I have used a total of 0.7 gallons in the 1100 miles I have driven the car since I bought it. The ergonomics is adequate for my 6-ft 190-lb body. The electronics is the best I have seen in any car. The Volt is bottom heavy and very stable. The acceleration of the two electric motors is fast. The ride is comforting. Will definitely buy again without any hesitation. My advice for all potential buyers is to get the adaptive cruise control package. The Volt drives itself at a fixed speed or a fixed distance from the vehicle ahead, the driver's only functions being the steering, braking for lights or stop signs when there is no vehicle ahead and tapping the accelerator pedal for a restart when the car has come to a complete stop. The adaptive cruise control does the rest. It is an absolute must for me now. I will never buy or rent a car without it.