2017 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Volt model:

Very sporty car
By Dave

2017 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

It’s a very sporty car and I like it.

2nd Generation Awsome in so many ways!!!
By Bret R Staley DC

2017 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This is my second Volt . My first was a 2013 and I loved that car so much. That was great until I test drove a 2017 at the dealer in SPORT MODE !!! WOW is all I could say as I literally burned rubber out of the dealership driveway. It is so much quicker than my older Volt it was amazing and I had to have one. Me being the frugal individual that I am I waited for just the right Color RED and interior option dark ash cloth to show up on Carguru. com for less than 20,000 and I had to have it. The 2017 is better in almost every aspect. The 5 things they should have left alone are the rear lower window we liked it, the Garage opening control button should of stayed the original charge door function was better for me on the 2013 the door panels in the generation 1 are much more attractive , blinkers on side mirrors also should of stayed. Aside from those five things the 2017 steering is way better more like any other GM car is excepted to steer. Ride seems a little better. Looks in my opinion the front end changes are way better and rear taillights are superior. We have had the 2017 for 2 moths we had our 2013 for 11 months before we upgraded. Love driving my Volt it makes me smile. I'm not the typical GREEN Persons my other vehicle is a GMC Dura-Max Diesiel truck. I love power and the second generation Volt delivers. Car And Driver rated it as one of the fastest 1/8 mile track cars being built less the muscle cars so I had to drive it and prove it to myself. They were right. My 2017 will outrun almost anything out there off the line you can get out in traffic with ease. This is no GOLF CART as I was asked by the guy that bought my 2013. The comfortable ride is more like a big sedan , ' Buick -ish ' and mix that with the power and 99% of the time no gas and it's improved drive abilty and Chevy has a winner. It blows me away at just how nice the 2017 Volt is. So fun to drive is my final summation !!!!

long commute
By tycam

2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Luv this car. So far.. 4500 miles to date. I commute 177 miles a day round trip. I don't have access to charging at work. I plan my trip to use Battery on-off high way. I average >60mpg. Car ride is extremely comfortable. Luv the lane keeping. Makes driving home following night shift safer. I do stop and rest along the way. I am able to get the full advantage of the volt when I home.

Very Unreliable Transition from Battery to Gas.
By Manjari Dutta

2017 Chevrolet Volt LT 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I recently experienced a very dangerous and unsafe situation while driving a recently leased new 2017 Volt PHEV on the freeway.
I was driving on HWY 280 in California form San Jose to San Francisco after fully charging my car on 12/01/17.
After travelling about 52 miles the battery charge depleted and I expected the car to transition from electric to gas smoothly without any problems.
This time it did not transition, in fact the battery died and the car came to a full stop without any warning from the electronics or from ONSTAR .
The gas engine just did not start functioning even though the gas tank was three-fourths full. The car stopped in the middle of the right two lanes
of the freeway on a very busy Friday morning and I was left in a very UNSAFE and DANGEROUS situation when I could not even leave my car and
walk over to the shoulder because of the heavy traffic around me.
This car cannot be safely used by families with children.
I have asked for a replacement of the whole vehicle but both the dealer (Momentum Chevrolet of San Jose, CA) and GM have been giving me the
run-around where there is mis-communication or poor communication between the representatives from the dealer and the GM about this very
grave problem.

Read the manual if you want the most out of Volt
By BKerr

2017 Chevrolet Volt Premier 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had my '17 Premier with all the toys for just less than 2 months and just over 2000 miles. The car easily covers my 30 mile commute in 45mph speed limits with only plugging in every other day. I have taken one 700 mile trip and that is almost the only time the engine has been on. Car is wonderful in all respects except for limited headroom on entering (I'm tall) and short headroom in back. I'm a geek and love all the tech toys but was happy when wife drove and announced it was "just a car," not intimidated like she was by the sci-fy looks found on other EVs. Was going to wait to write a review but reading the problems others report I have to say RTFM. There are display readouts and controls you will not know about unless you read the manual. the car is designed to be not intimidating at first glance to the EV novice. This is the kind of vehicle we need for mass adoption of EVs in the US. Many dealers don't know or care about EVs. Find one that does. It will change your experience of the car. There is a wide range of options. Park assist is useless to me but some love it. I love adaptive cruise control that will bring you to a full stop in traffic. Navigation is an option since you get it for free on your phone but you can order it if you want. I did my homework and shopped carefully. This is the most advanced powertrain available anywhere, and I can take the back roads, not having to route myself towards the next Supercharger.