Used 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

Virtyually trouble free
By Joe

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

Fuel economy is abysmal, 11mpg around town and 15 on the highway. Ride is very good for a 3/4 ton truck and the spit cloth front seats are comfortable, as are the rear. I can fit 3 adults or a couple car seats and/or boosters with no problem, I just wish the middle seat had a headrest. Everything is laid out logically and the materials are fine with the exception of the hard plastic dash, but no rattles as of 181K miles and my interior is still in near new condition. 6.0 liter tows very well with more grunt than I expected. It does burn 1-2 quarts of oil between oil changes (5000 mile intervals) depending on the type of driving. It also developed an exhaust manifold leak around 100k but it goes away after the engine has warmed up, about 5 minutes or a few miles. The 4 speed automatic has been rock solid but it could use two more gears. Reliability has been outstanding. One sensor covered under warranty and routine maintenance, that's it. Having previously owned Ford trucks I'll have to say I've been very impressed. I'd say I'd buy another one but I figure I have at least another 100K miles to go before I will need to.

Great Truck
By jason_simpson26

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

I have had my truck 7 months and I love it. So much power and comfort. It's really great. In the summer I pull a lot and one time I had just over 21,000lbs behind the truck and she pulled it. Was not going far fast but she did it

None

Awesome Truck!
By Jason

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Ext cab truck in 2003. Other than the fuel economy of this truck, I have no compliants. I take care of it but I also use it as a truck. I am a hunter and commonly go off-road on some horrible roads. I have never been stuck and the truck is all stock. I plan on keeping this truck for a long long time and hopefully passing it on to one of my sons as a first truck. Chevrolet really put time, heart, and guts into building this machine!

V-8 6.0l gas burner! It is a power plant!

Fuel economy and larger wheels and tire. Chevrolet put 245/75 16s (6.5"wheel) on a truck that can handle a much more aggressive tire and wheel.

Chevy Deisel
By Jams Anderson

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I added a $300 chip and get 20mpg on the road and 16mpg around town. it's amazing for a truck that large to have as much power, confort and gas economy. I will put it up next to a Ford or Dodge any day.

Power & comfort

Love My Allison Tranny!
By Allison Fan

For every day driving in southern
California, also to haul horses, fuel
economy has been good, the diesel
engine surprisingly quiet.
The Allison tranny holds speed going
down hill. After hauling horses with
the Allison tranny, through incredibly
smooth decelerations, I don't think
I'll go back to brand X.
All in all a Great truck, Very sporty
ride compared to its predecessor.

As stated above, I'm thrilled with the Allison tranny, but think the entire truck overall is a great buy. It handles well, goes off road when needed with the 4WD, pulls anything I've asked it to. Good air conditioning, the heated seats are great in cold weather.

Redesign the seat for folks who like to sit up straight! I know the seat was designed for the male torso, but as females increasingly buy trucks, they just don't fit, in fact can be painful to drive any distance with the lumbar support jabbing in the small of the back.