Used 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used S-10 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

little red truck

bird, 01/18/2004

The truck was not what I wanted. Small, no frills. But when I drove it my mind changed. It's fun to drive around the city, if you like to drive. Oh it's a 5 speed and I use it. Like most things we drive it could use more power, but then again I wouldn't be passing as many gas stations. I plan on keeping it until it or I give out. So far other the regular maintenance it's got all the factory parts except the rear U joint. Great Driver

Big Results from a Little Truck

Jay, 08/29/2009

I bought my truck used from a friend who had two trucks. This is a great and dependable truck. I use my truck for work and decided since I was going to school to drive it. I drove from North Carolina to El Paso Texas no issue. The only thing that I did was change the timing belt and started using synthetic oil. Awesome truck!!

Great truck. 97 Zr2 S10 4x4.

Carl Shepard, 03/25/2016
LS 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I would recommend this truck to anyone. Great performance, great power, goes excellent in snow & mud. I have the 97 ZR2 S10 4x4 5 speed with the 4.3 engine. Compared to Ford, previously owned, there's no comparison. This truck will run plum off & leave a 4.0 Ranger!

Great little truck

BigRed3195, 06/16/2008

Love this truck and I would recommend one to anyone. Chevy made a big mistake when they stopped making them. They are very reliable and are a joy to own and drive. Great on gas too, I'm currently getting 30+ mpg on the highway and 25+ mpg city driving. Great performance for a 4-cylinder truck, even when loaded. Easy to modify to. This S10 is the 2nd one that I've owned for a work truck and I have had 3 others for project trucks/ street machines. Love em.

S-10 Truck

Tom, 06/21/2008

This truck has been and continues to be a good little truck. I use it for hauling and driving back and forth to work. It now has 141,000 miles on it and I have not had to do anything major except for replacing the transmission a few years ago. I was very disappointed in the way this whole issue was handled by GM. At one pont they said they would stand by what they sold and I ended up with a different person and the whole thing was stopped and I ended up having to pay $2500 out of my pocket.

Best pick-up I've had in years

Dave Simon, 05/07/2002

This is the best pickup I've ever had. I go through everything with it. I go up in the mountains about every month and it's a very smooth ride. I can go anywhere I go camping with the truck also.

Do not Purchase

BB, 02/28/2002

The overall build quality is very poor. Had transmission in to repair twice; luckly during the warrantee. Interior rattles, squeeks, and parts have cracked. Rearview mirror has fell off several times, because the unit weighs 7-10lbs and the repair kit cannot hold it up. Emergancy brake has broke twice. Have trouble starting the vehicle several times when its damp and cold (left me strainded many times) mechanics cannot find out the problem.

1997 S10 2dr LS Regular Cab

Mawarikomi, 02/06/2009

I bought my truck used from a dealer at 44k miles and took it only to 120k before I had enough. Quality was atrocious - interior panels cracked and fell off, mirrors fatigued and broke off. The truck would not start in humid (90%+), cold weather (especially 32-45F), really cold weather was fine. I got a head gasket leak at 80k and had to repair the tranny at about 110k (both those seem normal for the driving I did so not really a gripe). My brake lines blew out despite having been regularly inspected. Here's a positive note, the engine was awesome despite the head gasket and tranny. If the rest of the truck could have kept up with the engine the truck would have been a keeper.

Decent truck

Travis, 10/21/2009

I've owned this truck since 2004 (I bought it with 120K miles) and I've put about 50K miles on it. Recently I've been using it to do a 400 mile round trip each week: its comfy for the long ride, its been reliable, and I regularly get between 22 and 25 mpg on these long trips. I've had no major problems with it. About 10K miles ago, the fuel gauge stopped giving an accurate reading (it drops rapidly and then hovers above empty). And simple maintenance is all but impossible because everything is packed-in tightly. Granted I'm not mechanically inclined... Installing a custom stereo was a pain-- the dash is hard to remove. I'd love to get a new car, but this thing just won't seem to die.

Low Price for Excellent Quality

squire46, 09/06/2002

Chevrolet made an excellent small truck in 1997. The mechanical and structural aspects have stood the test of time. The engine and drive train have aged nicely without any major repairs. The engines hummes the same way as when I first bought it. It is an excellent vehicle for someone with light duty chores, but at the same time offers a smoother ride than more sedans.

51050