2017 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

A swing and a miss
By funroadahead

2017 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was in Denver recently and looking at the row of rentals it looked like I was going to be stuck with a Nissan Sewing Machine, I mean Sentra. Then I spotted a brand new Malibu. I jumped on it. Malibu and Impala have been my go to rental cars for years. Always competent handling, familiar controls, just a good all around car. Boy has that changed. I'm tall at 6'1" so one thing I've always liked about the Malibu is that the seat goes back far enough so that I have plenty of legroom. However now I can't reach the steering wheel. At least it had push button start so the key wasn't digging into my kneecap. The biggest issue though was the power, or more precisely that lack of it. It was basically impossible to pull out into traffic without a light. Nail the gas from a start and you'll doze off before the car starts to do anything at all. It just sits there. At first I thought it was due to the start/stop. I quickly figured out it is disabled when the trans is in manual mode. But a short time later I found myself at a metered on ramp. The light on my side went green, I hit the gas, and nothing happened. At all. As a matter of fact the other side went green and that driver was half a car length past me before this hunk of junk even started moving. Once up to speed you can tell that there is a decent amount of power available, but you're not allowed access to it. One of the most annoying cars I've driven in a long time.

There Is So Many Better Built Cars Out There!
By Samanth Smith

2017 Chevrolet Malibu L 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

When I turned in my car for some warranty work I was given this car from Hertz. I have got to be honest this is probably the worst car I have driven in awhile. The acceleration was lack luster to say the least. It's definitely not a car you would be excited to drive and look for a reason to drive it. It is also loud inside, you really hear a lot of road noise. Another issue, for some reason when I would make a call the ac blower would turn off. I am not sure if there is some issue with the computer or if there is some feature for that. If it was a feature, I would have turned it off but the touch screen is so over designed and complicated I could not find that setting. I drive a lot, especially on curvy, two lane roads and this car was not designed for that. I understand this car is a FWD car but a Ford Focus is way more fun to drive around corners and feels somewhat sporty. Although, the BIGGEST design flaw in this car is the start/stop engine. While most car manufacturers have a on/off button by the ignition button Chevy makes you have to put the shifter in L then press the + button six times. This is every time you put the car in drive! Disclaimer: The Wi-Fi feature that Chevy brags about is you must be near a home or business with Wi-Fi to connect. There are so many other cars out there, that are fun to drive and are designed conveniently for the driver. I would recommend this car to no one.

A Cadillac Inside of a Chevy !
By SNM

2017 Chevrolet Malibu Premier 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

This is the nicest Chevrolet Sedan ever produced when considering the new technology features, ride, handling and size. I thought the Impala was the "king", but the GM engineers will have to up their game to surpass the new Malibu Premier. With the new 9 speed automatic transmission you can't tell when the gears are shifting, and the engine is very smooth, quiet and powerful. It makes the car feel nimble and fun to drive. Additionally, the gas mileage looks like it will be great ( 35 + MPG) on the highway. The interior is exceptional and this car just has the looks and feel of a high end luxury vehicle. If you are looking for one don't mess around. Find a Premier with the Driver Confidence Packages. You will not be disappointed.

You learn to love it
By Rick

2017 Chevrolet Malibu Premier 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A)

The interior could be of better quality. The turbo 2.0 and the automatic transmission is a great fit.

You learn to love it