Used 2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Tired of fixing it....
By C. Winter

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car has 83,000 miles.... The final straw is a $1900 converter replacement....
The car has completely shut off on me while at highway speeds with no check engine lights. Therefore nobody knows why? No codes .... I’ll tell you why this car is a toilet. GM FAIL!!

Maintenance nightmare
By Anthony

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

With under 100k on this vehicle we have already replaced a transmission and then a timing chain. Not to mention smaller repairs such as wheel bearings, strut mounts, and sensors. If one side breaks, replace the other as well because it is not far behind. This car is treated very light with frequent service and oil undercoated every year. Seems to be broken more often then not. I would not recommend this year of Malibu to ANYONE.

Not the greatest
By Anna

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I brought the car a year ago used. It was dining Great. I keep the oil changed and everything. Then the heat and air was not working. My husband fixed it or we thought he did. Now it turned out to be the wiring in the car. My heat and air don't work and some of the panel doesn't work now. I have never had so much trouble with a car before. I would not recommend this or any Malibu to any one.

Will Be Going Back To Hondas
By KW

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan w/1LZ (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car used with 13k mileage on it in 2013 when it was less than a year old. Up until this car I have purchased predominantly Honda's. I have not bought an American car since a Saturn in 1993 which died at 80,000 miles. After owning this car for almost 5 years now, I can say that I will not be buying Chevy again. At least not a Malibu. This car came with a dual Standard/Automatic transmission. I did not want or look for this feature, it just came with it. I rarely used the standard option, but I noticed that a result of having it was that the transmission, no matter what mode it was in, would hesitate for a second or 2 when you first give it gas from a dead stop. This is NOT good. When you are in a situation where you need to get out of someone's way immediately, you cannot be waiting a full second or more for the the gas to kick in. The second biggest problem I had with this car is that due (I think) to the low profile tires, it didn't matter what tires I had for this car, the tires do not track well at all. They follow every line or detail in the road whether you want it to or not, making it almost impossible for the vehicle to drive straight on its own, unless you are driving on a brand new road that was just fully repaved recently. The vehicle came with Goodyear Eagle tires which were complete garbage. They slid in wet, snowy and even dry conditions. I replaced them immediately with good Continentals and while that helped the traction problem slightly (now it only slides in rain and snow; dry pavement is usually OK), the tires still track poorly and the car still does not drive in a straight line on its own. As far as the styling and look of the car, it is very nice. Very impressive for a Chevy in my opinion. But that's about all I can say for it: it looks nice. One last thing I just thought of: I am 5' 9" and I repeatedly bumped my head on the top of the door frame getting into the car. The car is very low to the ground. Visibility is not the best either, even when looking over your shoulder. I was disappointed with the mileage too. It was advertised as 36 highway, 26 city. I drive primarily on the interstate to work and it only gets 24.

One year in and doing well
By Chris Welch

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After more than one year, I can say that this car has been a good buy. Nice ride, decent fuel economy, no major repairs. It does have a few quirks. Trying to see out to the rear from the driver's seat is a challenge due to placement of headrest. Traction in snow is iffy. Then I replaced the tires with a litlle more aggresive tread. We'll see how that goes. Everything else has been very good.