Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

I LOVE my Maxx!
By HeatherJ

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx LT used with almost 90,000 miles on it. I knew I wanted this car, & I researched it & found a great deal at a local car lot. Since buying it I have had very little trouble. Replaced the thermostat within the first few months & I had to replace something with the AC & it was over $500, but that is it! Sometimes the hatch won't open, but I have figured out a few tricks to get it to work. I take my car camping, it is used for road trips, I drive in the snow- I can do anything! Everyone always loves my car once they have been it. My best friend went & bought a Maxx too- but hers is newer than mine and a LS. She likes my '04 LT Maxx better!

XM Radio, Radio Controls on Steering Wheel, My moon roof & sun roof, the fold down seats, heated seats, & leather interior.

The vanity mirrors are cheap. The cover broke off of one of mine & the other is about to come off. My friend's Maxx did the same thing.

Don't buy GM
By JuliaG

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for less than a year (less than 70,000 miles) and it has had more than $3000 in repairs. The most recent issue for me was loss of power steering while on the highway. It's obvious to me that GM was aware of this safety issue, having issued a recall for the same year/make/model, although not including my VIN and they are not at all willing to assist me, although the dealership offered me a 10% discount on my bill. I will never again purchase a GM vehicle after the poor customer service I have received and vehicle quality I have experienced.

DVD player and sunroof

This prototype needed to be further reviewed prior to be released to the general public. Many flaws, including issues with the intermediate shaft and steering column.

I love this car!
By Justin

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu Maxx used with 80,000 miles on it. Since I have owned the car I have put over 60,000 miles on it and I have had no major problems except one. The transmission was burnt up because of a mechanics failure to properly exchange the fluid and I had to replace the transmission. Other than that this car has been a cherry. I have done some work on the car and added on a few features to make the performance and look of the car better. The Malibu Maxx is a great car and perfect for road trips, hauling loads, and comfortably seating five people.

Even with 142000 miles on this Malibu, I still get great gas mileage, great performance, and even turn heads as I drive through town. Many wear items have been replaced but that doesn't compare to the driving experience and ownership I have with this car.

The interior could use some work. The cloth seats are too cheap for this kind of car and the interior buttons and switches have the tendency to wear down after some time.

Excellent car
By Excellent

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have this car since jan 2004, I never had any serious problem, the mileage per gallon is excellent. I drove this car at 60 miles per hour on a wet snow condition, the traction control were impressive, never swerved.

Safety features such as traction control is paramount, miles per gallon both highway and city street are excellent.

Longevity is Not its Strong Suit
By Maxx02360

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I liked the car when I first purchased it; see my review in 12/04. But the car definitely has some quality issues. At 80,000 miles, I have replaced the steering column twice. Yes, the steering column! When it goes, it is almost dangerous to drive. I've also replaced the front bearings, the intake manifold, and the DVD system. The remote starter doesn't work anymore. Currently, my CD's are stuck in the audio system and wont play or eject. I took very good care of this car with the plan of giving it to my daughter, and while it still looks good, and my daughter loves driving it, it unfortunately has real quality issues.

Fun to drive. Handles Well.