Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 283 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

3rd owner 182k miles
By Tony Bretto

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for 700... These are very good cars, people ain't they are bad either don't take care of them right, abuse them or they got a lemon. This Impala is definitely not a lemon... With 182k miles l and rising, the engine runs very good has a nice mean sound to it, I test drove other Impalas they didn't sound like this one.. It has decent pick up, wish they gave the base model little more power slightly heavier than most sedans. Haven't had any serious problems yet no check engine lights. Nothing. I've floored this car about 8 times since i got it, nothing has gone wrong. At 182k miles. So people who see this, MILES DON'T ALWAYS MATTER. If u think this car doesn't have enough pickup change you're plugs and wires, oil filter, air filter. Your engine has a lot to do with your performance (of course)

"Found On Road Dead" was meant for Chevy, not Ford
By Sierra

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Impala with just over 100,000 miles. This was a 1 owner car at purchase & I am the second owner. In the beginning this car I felt like I was getting a great deal and a great car all in one. WRONG! If I could give this 0 stars all across the board, I would. I've owned this car less than a year, and am on my SECOND transmission. That's just the start. This year is notorious for a hard shift & a whole lot of jerking when shifting. I've taken the car to multiple shops only to be told there's nothing to fix that problem. Anytime I take off, the car wants to do a burn out after first hesitating to go. As I reach 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, you can expect a kick from the transmission EVERY SINGLE TIME. As I said, 2nd transmission, still does the jerk & hard shift just as the 1st one did. This is a very common issue & one that should've been recalled and taken care of. The body isn't too bad until it starts rusting all over the place all of the sudden, rust here, there, and everywhere all within a month. Went from a great body to a rust bucket quickly. If that's not enough already, each time I put gas in the car doesn't want to start (also a common issue). Don't let me forget that when I push the TRUNK button, the ALARM sounds & the DOORS LOCK. Window motors have gone out 3 times all within the 1 yeah of ownership. Chevrolet has done nothing about any of these problems not only for me but for mostly anyone that has had this model & year. To say the least, I'd buy a bicycle before I would EVER own another Chevrolet. They've lost a customer for life on this one.

WORST CAR EVER
By NickBell13

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 chevy impala with 95,000 for $3,600 within 4 months of owning the car I had to put $1,700 into it to fix it. Worst decision of my life!!!

I'm on my 2nd one, wonderful cars.
By J. Montague

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 of these cars, I bought a 2005 brand new it had 7 mi on it. It lasted until 2015 when the transmission went out at 215K miles. Now that I'm retired and not commuting 60 miles a day I decided to buy another one. I now on a 2004 Base with the sports appearance package that had 72,000 mIles (now 77,820) from the original owners. These cars are very reliable, all I did in the '05 was oil changes, tune ups, fuel filters, pretty much preventative maintenence. The only issue with these cars that I have is the transmissions. Around 75,000 miles it begins to slip gears (not skip) all it needs is the solenoids need replaced. I did it on the 2005 and I'm planning on doing it on my current 2004 here soon along with a flush, filter change, and fill. I get excellent mileage I can get 22-25mpg with mixed driving and on the recent 500 mile round trip I took to Milwaukee with 100% highway driving with the cruise on 65 I got 30.4 mpg. The ride is wonderful, my wife has a 2013 Nissan Sentra and I can't stand it, it may get wonderful gas mileage, but the ride is harsh and it's very small for my long legs I can't get a good seat adjustment. I assume take the Impala. You can buy these for cheap with around 150K miles for about $2500.00, these are definetly worth the money and are almost bullet proof except for the transmission & lower intake gaskets. If you want a nice reliable car that does decent on gas and is minimal on repairs if maintained, then look for one of these, if they were decently taken care of, you can have a wonderful car for a decent price. Even my 2005 wasn't badly priced when it was brand new (around $21,500)

I absolutely love this car to death.
By Jamie St Amand

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car. For a 2004 and for when my husband and I purchased it in 2013 it's an absolute value. We got it with about 145,000 miles on it. We've had to do some minor repairs on it but that's about it. Great car overall. Corners well, drives great, runs great, and the supercharger tops it off! I can get from the beginning of a freeway entrance ramp at 0 and be at 100 by the end of it even on a short ramp. I love to drive this car and I want to get another one eventually. I highly recommend the impala cause they last through everything as long as you take great care of them.