2018 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

Pros of Auto-start
By Mimi1205

2018 Chevrolet Cruze L 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I’ve had this car for 6 weeks. Previously I drove a 2008 Hyundai Elantra manual. This is an automatic. I’m slowly getting used to not having control over shifting thus the transmission rating for me personally. Unlike most others I like the auto-stop feature, so my review is mostly about that. It’s not as jerky as some have written. It doesn’t engage when you’re turning corners—you need to be at a full stop and it engages after a few seconds, only if the cabin temperature is sensed to be as cool as your setting. If you change any setting at all the engine re-engages. It also does this if the temperature rises, but always in less than two minutes so it doesn’t drain the auxiliary battery. The auxiliary battery and starter are under the trunk liner—it doesn’t use the main ones. It’s not loud. It starts up instantaneously. My average speed over 6 weeks is 21 mph and I’m getting 28.2 mpg, all local city driving, not highway. A lot of people don’t like this feature, but I encourage those on the fence to try it out for a few days as a rental or loaner from your dealer. Another feature I love—although I have a base model I somehow scored a seven speaker sound system instead of the four. My Elantra was a “sport” model. This rides smoother, is quieter, more solidly built, and handles as well as the Elantra. It has great acceleration—no problem scooting over and passing at all. It has more inside room than I thought it would. Three boys in boosters fit in the rear seat. The inside trim isn’t high quality, but I don’t cause a lot of wear and tear there. I have Arctic Blue Metallic and I love the color. The exterior design is more attractive than the Focus, Accent, or Fortè. All in all I’m extremely happy with the 2018 Cruze. I’m leasing mine and with zero down—truly zero—and $2500 trade in I will have paid $5832 cash out of pocket over 36 months at 10,000 miles per year. $8332 including my trade.

My little diesel dinosaur
By Patrick Anderson

2018 Chevrolet Cruze LT 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbodiesel 9A)

The car feels solid, and the acceleration is okay. Once the turbo spools up, you get a quick initial shove, that quickly disappears in higher rpms. I did spin the tires while making a right turn onto a highway (grins widely). I loved that part. I’m honestly disappointed about how little horsepower the car has. I think the older 2.0 Luz engine might have performed exponentially better in real world driving situations as opposed to the 1.6l Whisper diesel I drove today. Lastly, the fuel economy was horrendous! I was only getting 7.5mpg mostly driving city! Even though the car salesman put a half tank of fuel in it before we test drove it. Overall, I mostly liked the faint clatter and growl of the little diesel and pretended I was driving a little truck. I give the 2018 Chevy Cruze diesel a rating of 4 out of 5 stars for my over all assessment of my little diesel dinosaur.

Great little car
By Mike

2018 Chevrolet Cruze LT 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I'm 6'4" and find this little car more accomodating than my other car, which is a much larger SUV. I am getting about 32 MPG in stop and go driving back and forth to work, and I love the handling on curvy roads. The car is actually pretty good looking also (It has th RS package which makes it look sporty.)

GREAT car not too small, HUGE improvement overall
By Tony

2018 Chevrolet Cruze LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Actually a Great car for the price, can beat MPG at a constant 68 MPH. Very decent acceleration, but if you want a little more pop, go into tap shift and let revs go a bit higher. I notice Edmunds erroneously states that you cannot over ride the engine start/stop feature. That is untrue, if you are in tap shift mode start/stop is disabled. Much better legroom in 2nd row compared to prior generation, and the added center console was a much desired feature. Big plus for the simplicity and clarity of dashboard information, ant the LARGE Radio screen ( also where the rearview camera displays ) is bright, clear, easy to understand large icons, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto feature links your phone. Bluetooth is equally simple, and nice crisp clear sound.

Not impressed so far............
By RS Bauserman

2018 Chevrolet Cruze LT 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have had my Cruze LT hatch for 29 days today and, so far, am not impressed. This vehicle replaced a 09 Cobalt Sedan, with a manual, that was the best vehicle I had ever owned. The "Android Auto" feature is constantly "offline" and this is supposed to be 1 of the biggest perks of this vehicle. It is hard to get in and out of and I have yet, after 29 days of ownership, found a comfortable seating position. The "start/stop" feature, which I was aware of, is already annoying as well. So far my best mpg figures have been 27.4, far from what I expected. Maybe I expected too much after 8 great years with the Cobalt. There may be a Ford Ecosport in my immediate future...