2017 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:

HORRIBLE. ENGINE PROBLEMS AT 28000 MILES!
By Brittany

2017 Chevrolet Cruze LS 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2017 Chevy Cruze brand new in July 2017 from the dealership and I loved it. It had about 2000 miles on it at purchase. I thought it was so sleek and the tech in the car was good (minus the manual seat adjustments). Car always drove good. I never paid more than $25 for gas to fill up my tank. Each tank lasted me about a week and I drove a lot from home to work to school and back again. Then all the sudden one night when I was leaving the bookstore when I started my car the check engine light was one. I thought okay I'll go have it checked then when I tried to back out of my parking space the power steering locked up. I turned off the car and back on and it started up fine. I made it to my next stop and again when I went to go leave I had problems. This time when I turned on the car nothing happened. The engine wouldn't turn on, no click/crank, nothing! The A/C, radio and lights would come on but my engine wouldn't. I sat for 10 minutes trying to turn the car on before it finally cranked and I was able to make it home. I scheduled it to have it serviced the next day. Turned the car on no problem that morning and drove to the dealership and explained what happened. They had my car for about 6 hours and returned it saying they could not duplicate the problem but they tightened the grounds and replaced a fuel ring that was on recall. I took my car back and it was fine for about 2 days before the problem started again. I would start the car in the morning and it took a few tries to get it to work. When trying to leave school late at night I would have to sit for 5-15 minutes before it would start. I planned on calling the dealership as soon as they opened the next day to tell them. Before I got the chance, the car completely gave up on me. When I started the car the next morning to go to work and call the dealership, it would not start at all. Again all the lights, a/c, and radio worked but not the engine. Sat out front for 30 minutes and nothing. Called the dealership and made them send a truck to tow it back and give me a loaner (they gave me a 2018 Chevy Cruze as a loaner and I'm waiting for it to screw up as well). Turns out my braking system as failed as well as the engine/transmission and electrical issues. I haven't even hit 30,000 miles on the car and only had it for a little over a year. I'm infuriated that the car does not last. It's not worth your money or the hassle. After reading other reviews on the car, many people have experienced the same problem as me starting as soon as they left the lot, 10,000 miles and up to 20,000 miles like mine. AVOID THIS CAR AT ALL COST. You'll love it in the beginning but it won't last long before the car completely goes out on you. Don't take the chance and buy something better.

It's still a Chevy
By NoGMOs

2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The last time I owned a Chevy was 20 years ago. That was when I bought a Subaru, which lasted the 20 years, with few complaints. The only reason I did not buy another one is they moved out of my budget. The last Chevy I owned, I had to work on it every weekend so I could drive it during the week. Chevy's quality has improved dramatically, except there is still driver window air noise, and the paint is still suspect, scratches too easily and with 6 stone chips in the hood already ( 13 months), and no I don't follow gravel trucks. The trunk space is lacking, can't fit golf clubs without the back seats down. The good? The mileage is phenomenal, 41 mpg+ on the highway, 33 mpg combined. I got the Bose sound system, and it of course provides great sound. It is quite comfortable, and drove several hours on a road trip with no seat fatigue. They could put a 3 sec. delay in the Auto-Stop feature, for when a stop is only temporary, but you can crawl through a stop sign or kick it in neutral if you want to by pass it. I think this would be a better car for a young person, as it has all the communications you could ask for, I think. It has good acceleration, handles well except in deep snow, and is fun to drive.

Hot ,stylish car
By James Hunter

2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car looks in my opinion great. It's sporty and classy looking. It has great pickup if I hit the gas it flies. It has the goodies inside and for me it's very comfortable. The ride is smooth and I get a lot of compliments on the looks. I've had several people stop me and ask if I like it. So far ,so good.

CRUZALERT
By Mark Votava

2017 Chevrolet Cruze LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbodiesel 9A)

10 Months Old, 10,000 Miles and dealing with a Catastrophic and Premature Clutch Failure. Left my wife and children stranded on the road. Uncertain how long this will take to repair, sitting at Dealer now. In addition, DEF Tank leaking and needs Replacement, dripping white crusty stuff beneath the car. Warranty coverage but extremely inconvenient and disappointing since we like the car, it is peppy quiet comfortable and can easily demonstrate 60+ mpg highway.

Sure it's inexpensive, but there's a reason.
By Darin

2017 Chevrolet Cruze Premier 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Where to begin? The very day I bought the car it refused to start. I was leaving the dealership when I noticed there was no temporary permit in the back window. As I got out of the car, one set of keys was in the vehicle. The car honked at me, which is normal, to warn me the keys were still in it. When I got back in, the car refused to start. I saw a message stating there was no key fob detected. So, back in the dealership I went. My salesperson told me this happens but the fix is simple. He placed the key fob in some pocket and started the car. Off I went thinking that was just a one and done glitch. This was only the beginning. A few weeks later I was at the grocery store where I parked and walked in. After about 20 minutes I came back out and started the car. My phone refused to connect to the bluetooth. I power cycled the audio system and that didn't fix it. I re-paired the phone with the car and that worked. This was the first of MANY times I had to reconnect my phone to the car. One night while driving there was a message on the screen stating my brakes were failing. When I applied the brakes the car would shudder but still stop. I got out at my destination and when I came back, the error was gone and the issue seemed to resolve itself. So far there have been five unscheduled trips to the Chevy dealership where I was told there was nothing wrong with car even after showing them video of the issue occurring and one time while actually at the dealership with a technician in the car. One time I shut the car off and the stereo kept playing like it's supposed to do. Once you open the door it's supposed to shut off. It didn't. Kept playing. I got out, shut the doors and it still kept playing. I was even able to place a phone call (to the Chevy service department) from outside my car even though that should not have happened. I was told nothing was wrong and that was normal operation. Fed up, I told my service advisor to keep the car until all of the issues have been resolved. The end result? They replaced the human/machine interface which seemed to have resolved my audio system issues. They also replaced the module that controls the key fob problem I was having. It seems there have been multiple issues reported and they finally found and fixed the issue. Imagine that. The start/stop will drive you mad. The only way to bypass that "feature" is to place the transmission into "Manual Mode", or "L" on the gear selector, hit the "+" symbol until you reach, "6" on the display and drive it normally. It effectively places the transmission into dumb mode and the stop/start won't activate. So, to recap: Failure to start due to key fob undetected: Five times. Failure to connect to my phone: Stopped counting after 37 times. Brake anomaly: One time. Finally, if you're considering this car: Don't do it. Sure, it's great on gas but that's about all it's great on. When the lease is up, my nightmare will end.