Used 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Consumer Reviews

Z06 7.0L V8 6-speed Manual - (20 reviews )

Spectacular and reliable performance car, full of
By Paul Scarpelli

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (7.0L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this car new in 2008, and have had not a single service issue in 42,000 miles. Other than tires (lots of expensive tires) and oil changes, the car has been bombproof. Now that all performance cars have gotten heavier than the C6 ZO6's 3,160 lbs., even the heavy 707 hp Chrysler products aren't faster. This was the last American car that had a focus on performance over anything else. Weight reductions include a thinner windshield, carbon fenders, magnesium roof and engine carriage, and not a lot of extraneous options that add weight. It's a pure performance car that's also suitable for long trips due to the massive storage area under the rear glass hatch. I travel with my wife, luggage, a cooler, and a freaking road bicycle! On the Interstate, I have seen typical fuel economy around 31 mpg @ 80 mph, and as high as 33-35 on a few tanks of gas. I've had 20 new cars in my life, and I've never kept one this long. If you can find a low-mileage 2007 or newer, you won't be sorry.

z06 vette
By guy galliger

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (7.0L 8cyl 6M)

It may drop a valve, mostly the exhaust valves have dropped on a few, but the controversy rages on about that

Destroyed Z06 427 engine
By Thomas R. Hyatt

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (7.0L 8cyl 6M)

The engine in my 2008 Z06 427 Corvette destroyed itself at highway speeds when the intake and exhaust valves fell into the combustion chambers. The local chevy dealer told me the block was cracked and it would cost $15,000 for a new engine. I sold the car and suffered a $30,000 loss. Only to find out later the block was not really cracked. GM knows about the valve seal problem but has failed to do anything about it. The Corvette is a piece of crap don't buy it.
I would only change my opinion if GM sent me a check for $15,000.

Z06 compresses time and space.
By Sonderklasse

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (7.0L 8cyl 6M)

With 500 or so horsepower in a 3200-lb. car, things happen a lot faster than you expect, and you get from point A to point B a lot faster than you expected. And this isn't the first fast car I've owned. But I'd love the Z06 if it had half the power--the Corvette team "added lightness" (aluminum, titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber) and the car feels alive. Yet the Z06 isn't particularly punishing, except for the gas bill. The handling is sharp, up to a point. I've never tracked it, and the car's limits are so high that it's difficult or impossible to explore them on the street, but my sense, based on some "spirited" driving in the hills, is that you take a Z06 past 8/10s at your peril. It's extremely easy to get the car out of shape with a little too much throttle, even at low speeds. Whether there's too much power for the chassis, or the chassis doesn't give enough feedback for the car to inspire confidence at or near the limit, I don't know. Probably both. The unpredictability is part of the thrill, of course, but I'd think twice before turning off the traction control. Anyway, it's the first car in 46 years of driving that hasn't ended up boring me. Tremendous bang for the buck, as long as you can keep it pointed straight.

Sexy and fun
By Dale Bogle

2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Z06 2dr Coupe (7.0L 8cyl 6M)

Make sure you get the paddle shift and NPP exhaust options. More fun shifting with paddles and NPP exhaust gives you the loud rumble a Corvette should have. The 2008 mods to the C6 line are welcome, handling much improved, but I would get the Z51option next time.