Used 2004 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews - 213 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aveo model:

GREAT LITTLE CAR
By Donny

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Just check out timing belt if over 60,000 miles.

2004 Chevy Aveo Automatic Sedan
By mtngirl4

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm shocked at all the bad reviews with this car.
My hubbie and I bought this car used at a dealership with just under 29,000 km on it.

The dealership changed the fuel pump before we bought it (had been sitting in a garage for a while).
They only thing that was a problem was in the first year the breaks locked and we had to have it towed.
We had to replace all the break pads.

After 2 years we had an oxygen sensor break causing the car to keep stalling. Cost us $500 to fix it, mostly due to labour. We've now had the Aveo for 3 yrs and have about 99000 km on it. We have just had our timing belt and water pump replaced (no, it didn't break), spark plug and wires replaced. Other than basics like oil and transmission fluid change and replacing tires, we've had to do nothing. Parts are easy to find and relativity cheap. We wanted an inexpensive, basic car that was good on gas. That's what we got. This isn't a high quality car and I don't expect it to run like one. If you do basic maintenance it's fine. I would buy this car again.

Not horrible, but not great
By lovethepudge

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Lets just say that thankfully my dad knows his way around cars or this review could be much worse. I bought my 2004 Chevy Aveo in 2008 with 95,000 miles, it’s now at 116,000 miles. In the 4.5 years that I have owned it, we have replaced the gas cap, the catalytic converter, one of the pulleys just broke and the serpentine belt came off. (thankfully it wasn’t the timing belt) I had the timing belt replaced right after I bought it in 2008. All new tires, replaced rotors (causing the front end to shake when I hit the brakes, nothing major). New muffler in 2011. The transmission sticks when it gets too cold outside. (It’s been doing that for a few years now).

How small it is. I can park anywhere.

Needs power windows and locks.

TIMING BELT BROKE
By rich200

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Many reviews of this car featured a broken timing belt.
I have the same story, but it happened on the highway. Thankfully I was in the slow lane -- had I been in the fast lane I would have been killed. Standing on the side of a busy highway waiting for AAA is scary enough.
Needed a new belt and top part of the engine. Total repair $2500, but four visits to the repair shop later I decided to junk the car and got $2500 from a dealer using figures from autotrader.com. No harm, no foul and now I have a brand new Honda Fit and vow never, ever to buy a Chevrolet product again.

Do Not Recommend
By rachelwww

2004 Chevrolet Aveo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 57000 miles. The timing belt broke at 79000, apparently timing belts in this car like to murder themselves and the cars engine in the process. with a price tag of $1500-2200 to fix. This problem came along with other repairs that should not have had to be done in accordance with annual maintenance on the car, such as the air intake replacement and replacing and fixing various other cheaply made parts, the repair costs for this car have nearly outweighed the cost of it in the first place. Also it took me a week to find the cupholder.
NOT a user friendly vehicle.

it was a pretty blue

timing belts in these cars need to have a recall and GM needs to pay for the repairs, I might also suggest some time in a car crusher.