Used 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews

Used Avalanche for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Beware of Transmission Problems

KD, 12/04/2007
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Love the concept and versatility, but disappointed with reliability. I have had to replace the transmission at 32 months/49,000 miles (at considerable out-of-pocket expense) and continue to have problems with steering and front suspension noise.

Great Vehicle A real buy.

ReelLove, 12/10/2009
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

LT2 & Z-71. This truck goes everywhere, anytime, in all conditions. 19+ mpg highway/13.5 mpg city. Will tow or haul most anything in style. Quiet ride, lots of luxury everywhere, auto everything, great stereo, easy to drive. This is my 2nd Avalanche. I am about to buy #3 (2009) Had only minor problems when new (1x in shop). Since new, just oil changes, rotate tires, and gas. I love the look too. Get a lot of compliments, even from high dollar car owners. If you find a clean low mileage Avalanche, buy it. Do not buy expecting great gas mileage. This is a big truck that is 4 wheel drive designed for work & hauling. Buy knowing that this is a 6700 lb truck with a big V8.

Been a great vehicle for over 6 years now

dakar1, 10/05/2011
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really love my Avalanche. I bought it new and has been a great vehicle. I've had zero engine issues. things I've done are had to replace speedometer that sprung one day when it was about 10 below 0 outside. Had to have a airbag sensor replaced and replaced one of the oxygen sensors - which I found out is recommended after about 5 years anyway. Also a transmission solenoid was replaced, that was only $120 w/labor. I run the E85 a lot in the summer and I tow a heavy camper with it. Its not the best towing vehicle for something heavy but it gets by. I run Amsoil and engine still runs like new with 65k.

Happy with it

Ray, 08/27/2006
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very fun to drive. For a truck, it has averaged about 16.5 MPG, which is not bad. I tow a boat and a travel trailer at times. It has been in the shop three times, twice with transmission problems, at the dealer a week each time, other time was a computer problem. I have had major tire problems, none of the orginal tires are on the vehicle, I have had it 14 months now.

i love it

Walter Knadler, 08/30/2016
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got it new in 2005, changed all fluids after 5 years, had new brakes because of lack of use......its my 3rd vehicle but I love it..45,000 miles on it. won't hold a big load.but the ride is great. towing is ok but its really just a great riding all around vehicle. only real complaint is the the brakes a very soft pedal action.I asked the dealer and they said that was they way it is.they work good but I think soft.this is my 3 avalanche and hope to keep it forever.....i am 70 years old.....its just a great all around vehicle.....

Good Value

Jack, 11/14/2015
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2005 Avelanche used at 18K miles. 2x4 with G80 locker. Major problems: transmission went out after 95K, My Suburban had over 150K without a problem. Investigating some had earlier problem's and most went out around 100K, so don't feel to bad. It has been reliable with little maintenance. Interior seem to fall apart fairly easy, buttons on dash, Cover on window pillar fell off. Light 4x4 with G80 locker did very well.

Truck or SUV? ( trukuv )

james, 03/31/2005
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to drive with exceptional comfort and smoothness. Decent fuel consumption for its size. A lot more versatile than a standard truck. Bed is way more spacious than given credit for.

05 Avalanche LT

judahbenhuer, 12/17/2011
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought an 89 Daytona Shelby when I was still on active duty; my intention to keep her forever. 8 years later and 2 children who outgrew the tiny seats had me searching the dealerships. I bought an 08 Dodge Quad Cab Big Horn over the summer, and one trip later realized my critical mistake. Using the mini-rear seats of the Daytona as a reference for something larger was a poor choice. One month later I was already scanning the dealership lots. I saw an 05 Avalanche (never, NEVER a fan of Chevy!)with 49,000 original miles- 1 owner, and the truck was nearly mint. The salesman prompted me to keep it overnight...he knew the outcome. She sure sits pretty in the driveway :)

it was very comfty

cheerchick9104, 08/28/2004
2500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (8.1L 8cyl 4A)

it had good fuel

Avalanche Coninues to be the best!

chevyforever, 12/28/2009
1500 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Have had my Avalanche for almost 10 months now and I cannot imagine my life without it! I test drove toyota, honda, dodge, and my friend drives a 2004 f150 that has had 6 transmission replacements and 2 overdrive/ transfer cases replaced in 3 months of owning it. I have to say, I have had zero problems with this truck, other than the dealership not tightening my oil filter on good enough... I have the sun & sound package that has the bose sys and the sunroof. We go for a 3 hour drive to the beach we put every window down, the roof open, the back window out and the bose sys playin ur fav song it feels like a sports car and u just wanna step on the gas! Love this truck!!!

12345...12