Used 2009 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

If you love to drive.
By RonC

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive30i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is for you. So much fun. Decent gas mileage. Since the car is a 2009, I would hope they improved on the Navigation system. It leaves a lot to be desired. I also went through three struts and they are very expensive. The hard top/convertible is amazing. 20 seconds and I have a convertible with a push of a button. Manual shift is great. You are really driving a car!!!

Great CPO purchase
By BrianNC

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive30i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a very nice choice for a 2-seat convertible. The ride with the hard-top up is very quiet. It is surprisingly comfortable and roomy for taller drivers. I find the throttle response a bit lagging in "normal" mode, but the "sport" mode is much better, making it quick and responsive. It feels very solid. No rattles. I have had mine for about 4.5 months. Got a very fair deal on it as a CPO BMW with warranty until 2019. It is a very good-looking car, especially in black, which matches the front windshield pillars. No problems at all with it so far.

Dream, or Nightmare?
By Meffy

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After my 08 Z4 was totaled by a teenager, I made the mistake of driving this car. This engine paired with the 7 speed transmission is the best drive-train I've ever driven, and that includes owning a Vette, Boxster, Jag XK, and my 08. My research showed an all-too-common complaint with the fuel pump failure and oil overheating. Knowing this, I still bought this car. I may regret it someday but unlike most modern muscle, this car gives you mega-power below 2K revs and keeps it through 5K with little or no turbo lag. Compare with the M3 which gives you almost nothing until you hit 4500 revs. The M3 may be the better track car, but I drive on the street. Nothing else can match this Z for daily use.

I'm normally a manual transmission snob, but the 7 speed steptronic gets the most out of this willing engine. The experts show only .1 second faster to 60 with the 7, but to me it feels much stronger. Combine the White Alcantara with the Deep Sea Blue metallic and 18 inch (293's) and its show car slick.

Reliability. I normally avoid turbos but I cant resist this one. Although the bad press allowed me to drive this $46K blue missile for a song, I can't enjoy it as much as I should, fearing the worst. I'll write back and change the rating if my fears are realized. Until then, get out of my way!

SO much fun!!
By BMW Addict

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive30i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just purchased the re-designed Z4. I have owned three Z4's, kept trying to talk myself into liking the previous version, to no avail. The new Z4 is a winner. The interior is roomier both in length and width, which is great for my 6' frame. The 3.0 has plenty of power. The only options I got were auto and heated seats. The body is rigid but not abusive when driving. Easily a commuter car. The styling is flawless - be prepared for people staring at you. If you can find an '09, grab it, BMW is giving a $5000 cash rebate if you finance. Mine had a sticker of $49k and I got it for $39,300!! Can't' wait for summer! I turned in a Lexus IS250 Vert - Lexus = fun to RIDE in, BMW = fun to DRIVE!!

Hard top is tight, very quiet to drive. Standard Xenon's look great. Plenty of trunk space for a 2 seater. Overall design is stunning!

Make satellite radio and the Through-loading system with integrated transport bag standard.

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS: Eye Catcher Plus!
By Criticfilm

2009 BMW Z4 Convertible sDrive35i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Always wanted a convertible, never enjoyed softtops. Always loved BMWs, owned a 325i, so I watched with anticipation when they released the new BMW Z4. The car is totally impractical, overpriced, but when my local dealer offered me a killer lease, $500/loaded SDrive35 and BMW finance also kicked in a rebate, I said,"You only live once." and drove off in my first convertible. The car is stunning, a true beauty in the Deep Sea Blue Metallic and Ivory White Nappa Leather, just like in the ads. I get looks and compliments constantly and I have only seen a red SD30 once on the road in the months I've owned it. In this economy, the car is rare eye-catcher. Anyone with a BMW knows, driving is #1.

Handling, hardtop convertible, I have never liked the look or feel of softops! Great engine, acceleration, all the fun BMW stuff. The car is a piece of art, both in appearance and driving prowess. The hardtop lowers and closes quietly and quickly, I do it at lights all the time. A tiger on wheels!

Storage area in center with small cupholders a real downside. Fit and finish looks nice, but some rattling from instrument cluster at high speeds. I only have 3,000 miles on the car, but I wish the doors would lock auto at higher speeds, comfort package should be standard. OVERPRICED at 61k!