Used 2011 BMW X5 Diesel Consumer Reviews

Used X5 for Sale
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Pricey but Nicey

Phillip, 07/16/2015
xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I suspect that a low mileage used X5 would be the way to go for most folks. We bit the bullit in 2010 and ordered ours with all of the options. At the time, there was a hefty rebate on the diesel and a tax incentive of $5k . My wife and I both drive it and it has 66,000 miles. Brakes, tires and a battery is all we have done to it. Regular dealer and good independent service have kept the cost down. You don't buy one of these to save money. You buy it for the driving experience, comfort and safety that the Beemer is famous for. We get about 30 mpg on the highway and 24 in town. I had the dealer install the BMW trailer hitch package and it is worth it. I'll pull a horse or big utility trailer with it easily. The hitch is rated at 6500 lbs, but the same car in europe is rated at 7700 lbs. The hitch kit from the dealer includes an integrated trailer brake system hooked into the computer. They re-program the computer to "know" the trailer and lights etc. The shift patterns change when a trailer is hooked up. Pretty good stuff. BMW says the transmission and some other fluids are for life. My mechanic says to change them out at about 80K. I tend to believe him as it makes sense that any fluid will break down over time. Would I buy one again? Absolutely. New? Probably not. Probably get another diesel with under 10K miles on it. They are around and priced well. UPDATE 7/15/2017 The repair costs make the car a poor value if you plan on keeping it. We are having lots of problems with the diesel emissions system that are running into several thousand dollars. BMW has sort of addressed the issue but not entirely, The have issued an "Extended warranty" on some components but the car is constantly in the shop. I suspect the gas version may be better. Stay away from the diesel or buy the extended warranty and sell it before the warranty expires.

It just keeps getting better

lessbs, 06/03/2012
xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I had the 2011 x5 diesel built to my specs and delivered in Sept 2010. I loaded it up with almost all accessories which, like all German cars, add considerably to the price of the car. I now have about 26,000 miles on it. The car drives as close to a BMW feel as is possible for an SUV and continues to improve as the computer learns how you drive it. I am tall (6'3") and it is one of the few cars that truly fits me. We drive the car regularly between Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area, and it is hard to imagine a better car for this use.

German engineering at its finest

piredon, 05/03/2012
xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have about 21,000 miles on the odometer and am mostly very pleased with the vehicle. Fuel mileage is frankly amazing for a 5200 lb SUV. Worst tank was 22mpg and best was nearly 28, overall average of 25mpg. It's fast enough for nearly any situation. It's a fantastic long-distance vehicle with a range of nearly 600 miles between fill ups, and grown-up back seat passengers have commented the rear is plenty comfortable. It also handles better than any other SUV I've driven. Complaints include some cheap plastic in certain places in the interior, an "upgraded" audio system that's just so so, some turbo lag off idle, turning radius is terrible, and you have to get used to the diesel noise.

Beautiful vehicle, but still has flaws

_pj, 09/22/2011
xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The X5 is beautiful, but not flawless. The navigation sucks and doesn't even give correct directions. There was no dvd included to update it. I've read elsewhere the dealer charges alot for a new one. The ride is firm. The seat bottoms on the active ventilated seats are hard, flat, and unsupportive. They quickly become uncomfortable. I had to buy a seat cushion to make them bearable. The driver's seat puts out alot of heat from underneath and behind. The transmission on the diesel isn't always smooth starting out. Now that I have close to 6,000 miles on the vehicle, it sounds like the diesel is getting louder. The worst thing of all, was the way we were treated at the first BMW dealership.

Diesel Emission Controls are the worst.

Lemon Owner, 10/17/2018
xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My 2011 X35d is in the shop for the 5th time in 7 yrs. Each time emission repairs cost in the thousands of dollars. Have spent more on just emission repairs than the car is worth. Car was in the shop for 5 weeks two months ago. Car is in the shop now and has been for 3 weeks. All work done by BMW dealership. PUMA case initiated last visit because dealership can not figure out recurring emission problems. BMW corporate answer was continue to replace parts! Mercedes Benz and Volkswagon has the same problems with their diesel engines. None of the Germans have figured out a good emissions controls package to meet USA specs. Update: Emission problems continue. Car was in the shop for 7 consecutive months in 2018. Yes, I was without my BMW for 7 months. BMW could never figure out diesel emission faults. Replaced everything, including particulate filter. Final bill, this time, just over $7000! BMW offered no support, accepted no responsibility! Sold it. After being a dedicated BMW owner for almost 25 yrs, no more!

12345...6