Skip to main content

List Price Range

Used 5 Series for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
    5 out of 5 stars

2019 BMW 530e issues

DG, 12/23/2018
    updated 08/23/2021
    2019 BMW 5 Series 530e xDrive iPerformance 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

This is an overall great car; fun to drive and at a luxury level that most people will find appealing. The car delivers on gas performance. Over the 800 miles I’ve owned the car, half city and half highway, it’s averaging about 45 mpge. Interior build quality is excellent. I’ve had a minor issue with the truck latch not engaging. It’s at the dealer having a new latch assembly put in. That’s a little disappointing. But the biggest disappointment, no , major complaint, and it’s a big one, is the squealing from the brakes. It’s not a minor low level noise; it’s fingernails on the chalk board level. The dealership says BMWs are know for this. I say, BS. No other car on the market routinely puts out a car that has squeaking brakes. It’s been back to the dealership twice. Hopefully, it will be resolved, but to those of you thinking about buying a 530, beware, trust me, it’s something you can’t live with. It’s that bad. 2/20/2019 update: Update from my original 12/23/18 posting. The brake issue has been resolved. The dealer attempted to chamfer the brakes on one occasion and then cleaned and lubricated them on another, both with no improvement. It took making a video of the noise generated by the squealing brakes but the dealer finally agreed to replace them, probably after contacting corporate. The new brake pads and rotors are functioning, as expected, noiselessly and flawlessly, just how they should be. Thank you BMW corporate! August 2019 update: I have owned the car for 9+ months and have 7300 miles on it. My initial impressions, after resolution of the brake issue have been exceeded. The car is supremely comfortable to drive, exceptionally quiet, especially on electric mode, and incredibly efficient as far as gas consumption. I must admit, it is not only fun and engaging to drive but a joy to own. August 2020 update: I have owned the car for almost 2 full years. It has performed flawlessly. Not a hiccup. Average combined gas/electric range has consistently been 50+ mpg. My commute is a combination of half rural and half highway driving. Nothing in the car has needed service and the ride remains impeccably quiet; no rattles, loose items, just a solid feel that conveys a serene sense of comfort and reliance. A good buy. August 2021 update: Going into my third year of ownership and I can report that there have been absolutely zero issues to report. The only thing I’ve done is an oil change and a four wheel alignment. The ride quality has remained supremely comfortable and quiet. I just hit 22,000 miles, not a huge number considering the car was purchased in the fall of 2017.

5 out of 5 stars

Great value in stunning blue!

SKC Tampa, 01/24/2019
    2019 BMW 5 Series 530e iPerformance 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A)

It is an overall awesome car - probably the best car I have owned/driven in the past 30 plus years. Just rated in a Lexus ES300 and purchased the 530e and have about 900 miles on it. The Mediterranean Blue Metallic color is impressive- almost peacock blue; and very well matched with a cognac leather interior. The car drives superb - it accelerates and corners extremely well. And so far has given about 45 mpg in combined driving (after charging every night). The headlights and wipers are perfect - the headlights turn in the direction of the steering, and the automatic wipers are quite sensitive. I cannot be happier with this car - great handling, comfortable ride and very responsive and smart technology. Great value for the money, in my opinion.

2 out of 5 stars

Tech needs some work

ira, 02/04/2019
    updated 12/07/2020

Microsoft Outlook is not supported in the USA. This is an issue for me as I do a lot of work from the car. It is supported in Europe so, I can only assume that BMW didn't want to pay a licensing fee to Microsoft for the USA. Silly me, I thought southern CA was a big market for BMW. I am also very disappointed in the "preconditioning" of the climate controls. They tell you that you can set the climate controls from your cellphone app but, you must have some power available in the hybrid battery or have the car plugged in. Turns out that you must have at least 30% power available. The car can only go about 13 miles of electric drive on a full charge so, how much power should I have left after my 40 mile commute? Yep, maybe a few percent if I am lucky. But wait, I can set the car for "Battery Control", a feature that will hold a percentage of electric power in reserve. The problem with that is that it cannot be set as a default, I have to set the Battery Control to hold back 30+ percent of hybrid power every time I get into the car. Not exactly convenient. in addition, I am giving up about a third of my electric power for air conditioning or heating the car instead of it helping me save fuel. This is really not well thought out. I'm now getting malfunction codes so, it's back to the dealer next week. I'm also feeling a shudder when the car transitions to gas from electric. I had a Ford fusion that handled that aspect of the drive so much better. And BTW, I get 34mpg in my daily, 80 mile round trip commute (in traffic). This is with a full charge of electrons every morning. Did I mention Turbo Lag? How do you have Turbo Lag with an electric motor supplementing the drive train? I've now had this thing 24 months and 41,000 miles, I really don't like or trust this car. It's in the shop for the second time in 3 weeks. The dash cluster went out a few weeks ago, now there are wiring harness and waste gate issues. I'm getting out before my warranty expires.

2 out of 5 stars

Exceptional car

zingeoff, 07/25/2021
    updated 01/27/2022

The 530e xdrive is an exceptional car....it looks great, and drives very well. It does take awhile to learn the rather overly complex technology, and some features, like apple play, remain quirky. The car is very quiet and comfortable, and very luxuriously appointed. Besides the somewhat finicky technology, the battery life is disappointingly short. While it might be possible to achieve 20 miles of pure electric driving if you are going downhill all the way, its more typical to see 12-15 miles of real world driving before the battery charge runs out and you go back to hybrid driving. Given the 2-3 hour charging time, thats not very generous. If you are a hard core BMW driver who just wants a lot of power and great handling, this may be the right choice. After all, this is a mid size luxury sedan, not a sports vehicle. maybe the M version would be a better choice. Dealer support has been superb, especially with the four year maintenance package. And, as BMW drivers aren’t very excited about a green car, this sedan sells for a very competitive price at about two years. Well worth considering if you would like a mid size green luxury car that is great fun to drive, and achieves very nice mileage.

Love this car

NK, 01/10/2019

Love my BMW!!! Getting the Euro style and great handling and love having a hybrid, getting great mileage with plug in charge. I love that this car can pre heat in the morning and be ready for my morning commute. Easy to plug into my existing garage 110v plug for an overnight charge.