2015 BMW 5 Series Diesel Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 BMW 5 Series Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Very Dissapointed with BMW 535D
By Ivan Cohen

2015 BMW 5 Series Diesel 535d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I went to BMW Dealer to test drive 535D, car was new, only 50 miles on it, it was also 2015 model not sure why it was still new and not sold, since they also had 2016 models, same ones for $2000 more. I took it on the freeway and when I got to 70mph I noticed vibration coming out from the front wheels. I am not sure if it is simply a balance issues or something more serious but the fact of the matter is that it should of been tested before me and fixed. This is SUPER unacceptable considering they want 60k for the car to have vibration coming out of the front wheels that I surely noticed. Overall everything else seems to be ok. I really liked Sound System and how soft it accelerated and drove. It was pretty quiet when compared to other cars in the same class. I also did not like that if you want to get some nice options like Premium seats with Ventilation you have to get a Package, same with LED Lights and Sport wheels with suspension. By the time I add everything I want on the car it cost about 80k, which is high considering it is only a 5 series car and NOT even 6 or 7 series. Dealer also seemed like not care much since they are selling them fast and they do not care about their customers. Looks like I will not be getting BMW 5 series any time soon, until they come out with more standard options for the base price like LED lights, premium seats, sport wheels etc.,

A Quiet and Powerhouse Diesel
By Ernest Salomon

2015 BMW 5 Series Diesel 535d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

We are normally MBZ people. My last BMW was a '75. We drove the 2015 MBZ 250d and it was noisy and the steering was awful. We decided on the 535d and never looked back. The seats and front seat comfort are wonderful. The car has power to burn when you need it. It gets over 40 mph on the road. The radar controlled cruise control is wonderful on the road.
I never stop praising this car. I have owned many cars and feel this is the best ever. I am 80 years old and know how to use all the electronic features. That said, the average older person will have a tough learning curve. The cruise control needs to be made more simple to use. It is a bit too involved. The electronic string needs tightening, though the MBZ 250d is much worse. Bottom line: A greats road car with all the power and comfort anyone could ever want.

BMW quality stands out
By Raymond Sweat

2015 BMW 5 Series Diesel 535d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I moved up from a 4 cylinder diesel BMW 328 to the 535. While I gave up better mileage on the 4 cylinder, I got more room, window display, and a few more options that make driving a pleasure. I have owned other high quality cars, but the interior trim of the BMW with the rich wood and colors seem to stand out more. It may not hug the road like the 328, but neither did my other larger cars. Diesel engines rock, and if the public is scared off by the VW publicity, shame on them. In the long run, the quality of BMW engines and technology will keep the value of these cars up. I have liked this 2016 BMW 535 so much, I have decided to keep it beyond the two year period I usually trade cars. You can't hear the diesel engine, the cut off does not bother me (there is a switch to cut this feature off if it bothers others) and having driven many other gas and diesel engines, I know how to get above the EPA rated mileage. You get savings both ways with diesel prices going down or if fuel prices go up.....you will have more driving range then a gasoline engine. In the worst case, if we ever had a gas shortage, you can bet diesel fuel will be around. In short, my write up is no substitute for you taking a test drive in this auto and see for yourself. UPDATE: This review was written in late 2015. My opinion has not changed. It was one of the best buys in automobiles I ever made.