2021 Acura RDX Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $2,360
Select your model:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

A 4.5 star review

A, 11/19/2020
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Updated after 4 months of ownership: Running gas mileage is about 21-22 mpg. Under the rating, but about as expected based on an earlier vehicle. We really have no gripes about this car except the rearview camera. We learned the infotainment pad quickly, the drivers aids are helpful but not intrusive. This car eats up miles on a road trip and is comfortable around town. I stand by 4.5 stars. Good car, not perfect. Happy with the purchase! Earlier reviewafter a few days of ownership: If you are reading this, you're probably considering this car and cross shopping similar cars, like the BMW X3, Infinity QX50, Volvo XC60, Lexus NX, etc. I will focus on comparisons with those and items that that you notice after a few days that you may not have caught on the test drive(s). First up: things that you may not catch at first 1. This car is cheaper for a fully optioned model than competitors. But, you will notice a few cost cutting places: A) the standard floor mats are awful. Truly atrocious. Budget for a set of premium floor mats from Acura as part of your purchase. B) vanity mirror lights, glovebox light, rear turn signals are not LED but everything else is. C) the back of the front seats is cheap feeling plastic - even fake leather would have been more in place with the rest of the interior. 2. The physical spare tire on AWD, non Aspec cars was a purchasing decision, after an awful experience with harsh-riding, quick-wearing, and hyper-expensive run-flats on our last car. A spare is rare in this segment. But, the flat tire and wheel you take off the car WILL NOT FIT back under the car. the big plastic bag near the jack under the cargo floor is for placing the tire in when you have to put it back in the car. 3. Pay careful attention to the rear view camera. In our advance package model, it is among the worst I have EVER seen and way out of place in a car of this level. It is manageable in bright daylight, but essentially unusable at night. The tech package camera is apparently better - drive this car at night, and try to back up into a dark parking spot if this is important to you. Next: Things you wonder if you can live with: 1. We are having mixed success with the weird dash layout. The open spot under the floating gear selector is more useful than we thought. However, since this pushes back the cupholders, they are less useful than expected. Pay attention to this if you are shorter driver. You will have to move the armrest forward, permanently reducing to 1 cupholder in the middle. Most of the other cars in segment (X3, QX50) have more logical placement. The QX50, in particular, has a perfect armrest for a shorter driver. 2. Screens and infotainment: Again, mixed. We are liking this better than the complex all touch screen controls of the XC60 and the odd ergonomics of the QX50 double screen. The menus are slightly better organized vs X3. But, you will need to spend quite some time setting it up. There is a huge learning curve. Once you get it customized, you don't need the trackpad much while driving, but it will take a while to get there. Watch out for the bluetooth integration if you don't use CarPlay or Android Auto. It works with one of our devices, but does not play well with the other. 3. Artificial engine noise. Yeah, on your test drive you heard it revving along. It is fake and a little obnoxious after a bit. Comfort setting makes it better, but you cannot turn it off without also disabling noise canceling features. Drive on a freeway with concrete roads and accelerate around in traffic while having a conversation with a rear seat passenger. Evaluate if this noise bothers you. 4. No AC control in rear. There is no reason why this car should not have it (another cost-savings?). Our main rear seat passenger is mostly colder than us most of the time, so seat heaters back there help. But there is no recourse if your main passenger likes more air in their face. More standard Pros and Cons: 1. Great driving car. Comparable turn-in with the BMW, sportier than the Volvo or Lexus. Some might find it slightly twitchy. The steering is more appropriately weighted than the QX50 and the ride is softer than that or the X3. On balance, we liked this one best. 2. Looks awesome from the front. But, it looks oddly tall and narrow from the back. I could do without the silly chrome strip on the side. The Qx50 is the best-looking car in segment, but we felt this was right behind it. 3. The cargo area is more useful than competitors, even if the cubic feet are the same. It is longer and flatter, with less volume going up. This leads to more useable floor space. 4. Seat comfort is second in class, with only the QX50 being better (possibly the most comfortable car seats EVER on that).The adjustability on RDX seats is incredible. 5. Sound system is best-in-class. I wish it had a better subwoofer and controls to specifically pump up lowest notes, but this a pretty minor gripe.

Not Perfect but a Great Car

Robert Horwitz, 12/20/2020
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Looking for a very well priced semi luxury crossover then this might just fit the bill. Is this a perfect SUV, No. Is it a very well rounded vehicle for a good price, Yes. To be honest I love this car. For me it is a perfect balance for everything I was looking for. This car has the power that most people want with decent gas milage. It has the comfort and luxury found only in higher priced vehicles. You really get a lot out of what you pay for this vehicle. To me this is like the balance between the more expensive Audi's, Infinity's, Volvo's, and the want to be CX5 signature. It fits somewhere in between but closer to the $1000's more luxury brands. It looks great, drives great, and does not destroy you with payments. Compared to a fully decked out Rav 4 (non prime) and you are not paying much more but you get so much more. On paper it will check almost all the boxes that people needing a crossover with need. Edited...it has now been 2 years since our purchase and I have had no issues with this vehicle. I have to admit though since Covid hit, it barely has 20000 miles on it.

Vastly improved over previous design

SS, 02/16/2021
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Redesigned model is so Vastly improved over previous design. Power, Handling, interior/exterior design and included features are big plus. Software update didn’t work and took a dealer visit along with brakes squeaking within 2 months. Both issues resolved however. Lane keep assist could be better; cannot rely on it on windy roads.

Ad
Build Your RDX
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 3 Trims
  • $40,200starting MSRP

Surprising Power 4CYL Engine

Ty Bookman, 05/08/2021
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

I was looking for a new vehicle that would accept my large 6'3" frame at a reasonable price. My last vehicle was a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee which provided ample leg room for me. We took it on a road trip recently and found it to be very accommodating space wise. The ride is smooth with a comfortable interior. When there is a need for power there is more than enough to do the job. I have driven it just a little over 2500 miles so far still getting accustom to the Tech features of this vehicle. This is a very good road vehicle with hidden storage compartment located in the rear of the vehicle. Rear vision is restricted but I have come to rely on side view mirrors indicate blind spot traffic. Back up camera is excellent with ample warning of pedestrian and on coming vehicle traffic. Overall I am pleased with my purchase of the RDX.

Exceeded Expectations

Frank, 01/05/2021
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Technology Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

We leased this coming from the previous generation RDX since we wanted to get the SH AWD and we were pleasantly surprised at all the overall improvements they have made in the car. It isn't the best at anything compared to the competition, but it is also priced much less and is comfortable enough and has just enough performance to make it a pleasant, if not thrilling, driving experience. This is perfect for our needs, since we just wanted a simple people mover while enjoying the drive and didn't need to show off to the neighbors or anything. I had trepidations regarding the TouchPad interface based on reviews, but after using it for a while I find it superior to touch screen and combined with voice commands the system works well. Also we contacted several dealers and they had a lot incentives going on. I did want to mention the biggest annoyance I have with the car is the auto engine off during stops cannot be defaulted to off, so it must be manually turned off every time the car is started. Not a huge problem honestly, but it is a feature I personally hate. My wife likes it since she says she can take her foot off the brake, which is a separate feature anyways, but to each their own.

12345...6