Used 2019 Acura RDX SUV Consumer Reviews

Used RDX for Sale
Select your model:
12345...42

Pros
Cons

I Traded-In My RDX After 7 Months Of Ownership

Eva, 11/07/2018
Advance Package 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

I had my “dream car” for 7 months and then traded it in for something more reliable. When I first purchased the Acura RDX Advance I was ecstatic. Everything seemed to be customized for me. From the memory seats to the technology, to the safety components. I was in love with my SUV. However, things seemed to go south the longer I owned the vehicle. First it was the constant issues with the Infotainment System. I would exit the vehicle and it wouldn’t turn off. I called the dealership and they either thought I was dumb and didn’t know how to operate a car, or they would say “this is the first time we’re hearing about this...” I found a site called AcuraZine which had a workaround for turning off the frozen system so I wouldn’t get a dead battery. So that was the first issue. The second was the constant brake squealing after about 3 or 4 months of ownership. I drive typically on the interstate, so nothing weird about my driving habits. The last, and most terrifying issue was the electronic issue. I was on my way to work, driving about 65 mph, and everything shut off except for the engine. So I had no dials (since they’re digital) / no GPS / no A/C nothing electronic whatsoever in my car. It was pitch black. I was in the middle lane and there was no way to pull over. I safely made it to work. When I placed the vehicle in park all electronics came back on but they were “strobing.” I called the dealership who told me to bring it in ASAP. After an hour they found nothing wrong and sent me on my merry way. This happened too many times for me to be comfortable with the reliability of the vehicle and the dealership never found any issues so I just traded it in for something more reliable and safe. I really wanted to love this car but for the price I paid (and the thousands of dollars I lost trading it in) it just wasn’t worth my safety. I hope this helps others.

Close to Being Perfect Compact Luxury SUV--Not The

Petros Bezirganyan, 01/07/2019
SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

After months of researching and shopping, pulled the trigger on new RDX w/ Tech... After driving it for 3k mi in 2 months, here are my impressions. THE GOOD 1. The leather seats are very soft and comfortable. Beats any latest model Nissan, Volvo or BMW. The real leather is exquisite. Acura makes the best leather seats, period. Better than the latest Volvo XC90 or XC60, BMW X3 or 3 series, Nissans and even Hondas and Audi Q5... The only seat that is better is the one in Volkswagen Passat, but these are synthetic leatherette... The seat is 16-way power adjustable, and on Advance trim it has power thigh extension as well... Love the seats... 2. The ELS 3D Studio premium audio system is sublime. The surround sound is fantastic, and is second only to Volvo's latest Bowers & Wilkins audio system. 3. The style. I really, really love the body styling if the new RDX. It is elegant, agresive, sporty, modern. I really love the 19" shark gray wheels. The cabin is modern, luxurious and I would say, elegant. Love panorama sunroof. 4. Comfort and ride. Very quiet cabin, supple ride. Good rear legroom and headroom 5. Cargo capacity. Is on par with any compact SUV, and is better than almost all luxury compact SUVs. 6. Price point. Very competitive guven the amount of features. 7. Engine power and torque. With 272 hp on tap and low-RPM 280 lb-ft of torque, this SUV has a pick-up of a sporty sedan or a hatchback. 8. Handling. With its wide stance and low profile, coupled with torque-vectoring all-wheel drive, this SUV corners flat, and can handle any curve confidently, feeling sure-footed on any type of pavement. THE BAD 1. Transmission. Acura keeps telling us (since the crappy 6-speed in 2013 RDX and 8, and then 9-speed ZF transmission in Acura MDX 2013-2015, 2016-2019) that they are going to finally fix the rough and jerky gear shifts, especially at low speeds and going uphill, and finally they claimed that they did it with the Honda-engineered 10-speed transmission, debuted in the 2018 Honda Odyssey, and now in 2019 RDX... But let me tell you, this tranny, although much better than 9-speed German-made ZF and the 6-speed in old RDX, still has some serious issues: at low speeds it tends to keep in the middle gears (3-6), instead of downshifting to 2, perhaps--I don't know, but the effect is as if it is in higher gear at lower speeds than it should be, preventing acceleration at speeds at around 25-30 mph, or when coasting to a stop light or parking... This is very annoying, since the vehicle feels underpowered for simple maneuvers, like coasting to a stop light or driving in a parking lot. Pushing the throttle, simply jerks the vehicle forward, as if accelerating from dead stop, which is not what one wants, and is dangerous in traffic or parking garages... Disappointing. 2. Fuel economy on premium 92 grade gas. In the mixed mostly city driving I average only 21 mpg on premium gas. Very disappointing. On regular 87 octane gas, the fuel economy drops to 20 mpg. Disappointing... 3. Small fuel tank, short driving range on a full tank. With only 17 gallon tank, maximum I can drive on premium gas on a full tank is 300 miles, before the fuel gauge light up. Very, very disappointing... My Nissan Rogue would go 359 miles before I had to stop for refueling... 4. Infotainment system. Very, very glitchy and underbaked. Using the precision touch mouse pad is awkward; using navigation is clunky. Voice recognition barely works. The loading of contacts takes a very, very long time... Calls are driooed every now and then; the system hangs intermittently... Nissan's simple Bosch-designed infotainment puts Acura to shame... Android auto is not supported as of yet... No way to look up point of interest phones; no Pandora or Google integration. My Nissan had all that. I miss Nissan's infotainment system... THE UGLY 1. The brake pads already squeal on all 4 as if completely worn out on a brand-new vehicle with less than 3k miles!!! 2. Passenger wiper is not retracting completely. This is a calibration issue, which Acura is looking into. 3. The hatch back-door creaks and moans on opening and closing, just like a whale. 4. Driver vanity mirror cover squeaks when opening. Not nice. 5. The cargo area liftable cover does not stay open, and needs to be held while accessing the underfloor storage compartment. 6. To put in roof-rails and crossbars, Acura is asking for $1,200. Very expensive for almost a necessity on a SUV. CONCLUSION On hindsight, unless you are getting a super killer deal on 2019 RDX (e.g. below invoice), I do NOT recommend buying or leasing it, until Acura addresses transmission and fuel economy issues. Also, note that it is a wide vehicle: 4-5 in wider than a regular sedan or a compact SUV. This may pose a challenge when parking in tight spaces.

Infotainment System Updates still have not enabled

Mark S of LI NY, 01/15/2019
SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD w/Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Own the 2019 RDX Advance since 8/18. Before this I owned a 2014 RDX & before that 2010 TSX. I enjoy the handling, new modern look (in & outside) as well as feel of the new RDX 3rd generation over the 2014 (2nd generation). But I’m not a fan of the 4 cylinder turbo. It’s not as smooth, quite nor does it get get any better gas mileage then the older 6 cylinder. It does have amazing Technology with exception of Navigation. Though there have been several over the air free updates since buying, including the newest one earlier in 2021, they have not corrected all the quirks. Can't believe it was designed without ability to add a name to an address manually entered. I would have hoped that it would have been fixed in one of the first updates. The fee based ($110 year) AcruaLink app still has quirks as well & they remove great features all the time without saying so. Such as, once being able to download directions from my living room through the AcuraLink app when car was off which had been available when I bought the SUV when it came out in 2018. The feature allowed users to be anywhere & download several directions at once to RDX & they were there immediately even when it was for, I loved that feature. Another issue concerns remote start. Subscribing to pricy yearly app is the only way to remote start it unless you pay nearly $500-& 600 to dealer to install a transponder. Crazy Acura did not incorporate the transponder into it when new like just about all other manufacturers do so all that’s would be needed is a buy a remote start key-bob. All this means in all likelihood I would probably not buy another Acura product in the future. Honda/ Acura should not have rolled out the new system before they had working properly. I’m disappointed with them for not debugging the software before rolling it out to the consumer.

Navigation system never worked.

Marianne Stolfi, 08/19/2018
Technology Package 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

From the first time I tried to use the navigation system it would not recognize the input address. I tried every method. ( It was the address for the Bethpage DMV!). I called my sales person and he walked me through the steps, it still did not recognize the address. I drove the car to the dealership. Another sales person tried to tell me that the problem was because Bethpage and Oyster Bay had the same zip code. (They don’t!). I tried to use the navigation to get to a friends house, it took me to a shopping center. I tried to use it to get to my home address. It tried to take me twenty blocks away. When I got fed up and called the service manager, he admitted that they were having problems with the new system and he didn’t know when it would be fixed. It is now over a month since I got the car!

Buyer's Remorse - Squeaks, Rattles, Glitchy!

Unhappy Acura Buyer, 03/18/2019
SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Good Points - Awesome front seat comfort, stellar acceleration and handling. Bad Points - Interior is quiet, EXCEPT for ALL interior squeaks and rattles that mostly cannot be located or stopped (I've resorted to stuffing folded business cards in seams where noise may be coming from, rear hatch rattles incessantly). Transmission shifting at low speeds is unpredictable and RPMs stay at 3000-4000 before up-shifting killing city MPG, Apple Carplay crashes incessantly, app for remote start works about 70% of time keeps asking me to re-register. Accelerator lag is noticeable off the line every time (Acura - please test-drive a Honda as they do not have lag issues). Awful gas mileage - City MPG is 17, Interstate MPG is 24 on the best day. My 2017 Honda CRV gets 24 MPG city and 31 MPG on the Interstate and no 93 octane required! My 2018 V6 Honda Odyssey gets better MPG and transmission (reportedly same Honda sourced 10 gears) shifts much more smoothly and predictably. Acura Dealer in Elmhurst Illinois is unable or unwilling to address interior squeaks and rattles...... Looking to trade-in this MISTAKE and to go back to a Mazda CX-5 which I had previously - better value, more interior road noise but no accelerator lag, smooth transmission, no squeaks and rattles.

12345...42