Used 1996 Acura Integra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Acura Integra Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Integra model:

22 Years and Counting!
By Liz Rivera

1996 Acura Integra Hatchback LS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my Red Integra LS on April 12, 1996. It was my Birthday present to myself after my Prelude had been stolen. Im writing this in August of 2018. My Integra and I have been through so much together and she's always stuck by me through thick and thin. I live in So Cal. I remember shortly after I bought it, my friend and I went to Lake Havasu for Spring Break. If you've ever driven through Desert Center, you know the 2-lane highway of "up-downs" like a roller coaster. I didnt intend to but I looked at my speedometer and I was topped out around 130 MPH! Never driven that fast in my life and I should have been scared but it was so quiet and so smooth and so fun up, down, up, down. I was on cloud 9. Everywhere I went, everyone complimented me on my Integra. Taco Bell Drive-Thru, the girl goes, "OMG I LOVE your car!" In 2016, my Integra was stolen off my driveway in broad daylight. All of us were home at the time. The thief left the flathead screwdriver on the floorboard along with his t-shirt. Police found it 12 days later. My baby was virtually destroyed and they had opened all the windows and the moonroof during a rainstorm when they abandoned it. I wasnt going to let her go. I knew there was lots of work ahead both mechanically and to the soaked interior but I brought her home and she still sits on my driveway. Im fixing it up little by little as I am able. I could never part with it under these circumstances. I want her to be as beautiful as the day they stole it from me and I still dont know if Ill ever be able to let go. I love my Integra that much. Its the best car Ive ever owned. Ive had 3 in all ... all 3 have been Hondas, my Integra included. I cant imagine taking it to the junkyard. Such a huge part of me during great times in my life. I truly love that damn car. Ill never look at another car the same way. I wish it was 1996 again and we were both still young and turning heads! "I love you baby."

Wouldn't sell this car.
By wrongfire

1996 Acura Integra Hatchback RS 2dr Hatchback

Performance - 3

This is the weakest aspect to me, of course this is just the RS, but it's slow.
It handles great, I love taking corners with it. It's FWD, so if that's your thing then you will love it.

Comfort - 4

The chair's are nice but not great, driving for more than an hour gets uncomfortable.. The cup holders are pretty small.

Value - 5
This car has so much going for it, and the price is excellent.

Fun- 4
Awesome car, but just slightly too slow, and spongy.

Interior - 5
Mine is black and blue.. it's immaculate.

Exterior - 5
The design is still excellent and eye catching.

Build - 4
140k miles and still holding together very well.

Reliability- 5
140k miles and nothing is wrong.

I love the way the car looks, both inside and out. Honda's have a way of being reliable, and so far, this car has done nothing unexpected. I took this car to a drift trick and tested it around their track. The body roll is pretty noticeable and you can feel it push on the tires causing a loss of traction.. But it drives fantastic, it carves through corners and does really well for a FWD. It's lightweight and it's easy to tell, I feel like my car has more agility than most on the road. The steering feels solid. 30MPG has been saving me so much money. It has 4 seats. The engine is Honda and just makes sense, nothing about it is questionable in design for it's time... Except the ABS

ABS is crap, and mine is broken and will stay forever broken as I have no desire to fix it. The cup holders could be bigger. It could be RWD. lol The 14' rims just look too small. Upgrading to 16's That's it.. that's all that really bugs me.. This car is great on many levels.

96 coupe, 1.8l automatic
By bassplayer62

1996 Acura Integra Hatchback LS 2dr Hatchback

resurrected my '96 two years ago. it had been sitting for 2 years, the prior owner parked it when the engine light went on around smog test time. picked it up for $300. started it up, was not running too well, like on 2 cylinders. Got it home then pulled down the codes. misfire cyl 2 &3 and bad secondary O2 sensor.
Replaced cap, rotaor, plugs and wires. Replaced O2 sensor. The car fired right up. 1st test drive was an awesome experience, great acceleration!!!. Passed smog with flying colors!!! only mechanical issue was the coil recently failed. Replace witha new one, and no problems since. This is a very fun car to drive!! I live in the mountains and this car corners like a dream.

It's so hard to say goodbye...
By GS-R Lover

1996 Acura Integra Hatchback GS-R 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 1996 Acura Integra GSR (5 sp manual) used in the fall of 1998 right after I graduated from college. I was 22 years old and had just landed my first job in the real world. At the time, the purchase price of $18k nearly broke the bank, but I loved the car and wanted to make a long term investment. Well, it is now the fall of 2009, I am 33 years old, and I still have my GSR and I still look forward to driving it every time I get in! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to get a new car because it is now impractical to own a 2-door due to all of the trips I have to make with my young children. I have loved owning my GSR and I will miss it very, very much. This car will one day be a collectible.

A joy to drive - handling, acceleration, high revs, good gas mileage, great reliability, timeless design that still turns heads, crisp manual gearbox.

None.

12 Years of fun
By GSR Fan

1996 Acura Integra Hatchback GS-R 2dr Hatchback

Recently sold my GSR. I put about 150K on it before selling. Never had any major issues, except regular maintenance items that need to be addressed in an older car; brakes, clutch, suspension etc. Very fun car to drive and I got about 28 mpg on average.

Styling, reliability, fun factor.

My only complaint was that the seats and head room were too small for me. I am 6'3" 220lbs.