1999 Volvo S80 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S80 model:
hissing noise/brake concern
By jackson99 on 10/11/12 14:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Been hearing a hissing noise now for several months..understand may be a booster problem? What's this going to cost and will it get worse and brakes eventually fail? Thanks for any help!

Wanted to Like...
By lynnmckeel on 08/15/12 21:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I really wanted to like this car. It was so comfertable and I felt very safe all of the time. Drove like a dream. However it has been a constant money pit The car has 163,000 miles on it so it is old but its not going to last with out hundreds maybe thousands of dollars invested. Its been constant for the last two years: In addition routine work I have also had to replace struts, fix the fuel pump, the coils, the head light got busted and the electics have never been the same, the ac is shot, the power locks are shot, had to have the power steering fixed, and ALL of the fabric lining is coming off. Lots of money, time, and towing

Please stay away from this car.
By jd1isa2 on 10/19/11 14:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car last year and has been a big vacuum due to all the repairs. from the transmission, to the airbags, to suspension. Everything went wrong. Stalled on me several times. Bought it because of the Volvo safety reputation, but totally not worth it. Heard the later versions are markedly better but I'm staying away from this car.

Never again
By Some kind of Luck on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I wish this didn't turn such a bad experience for me. Ever since I got the car, it's been one problem to another. My mechanic was tired of seeing me. First it was the motor for the window, then timing belt, after that, the headlights and the engine lights, then the sensor, then the passenger's mirror and the driver's mirror. I hate this car. I used to crave having a volvo. I learn my lesson. The worst of it all, it's difficult to find used parts. Everything cost an arm and a leg. The money I spent on it went double for repairs. I will advised every one that I know not to buy this car. if I cannot enjoy something for at least a year, then what's the point?

Heed this warning! ( wish I would of)
By HEBES on 07/27/10 18:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

Purchased car used. Expected much more from this car. I was afraid to drive it shortly after I got it fearing what would break next. I swear anything I touched in that car would break or cause something else to break. Something as simple as trying to put a cd in the stereo ended up costing me a new stereo and caused some kind of urgent airbag warning. Every time I get in its a mystery what will happen or not happen. I gave up putting money into it and will drive the car until it refuses to move. There is nothing consistent about this car except for some item or feature failing to work.

great when working
By volvo s80 t6 on 12/25/09 15:55 PM (PST)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

had this car over three years and when it was good it was great, but had a consistent throttle problem that even the dealer couldn't figure out and also a engine sludge problem even though the oil was changed at 3k intervals, thought maybe this was a t6 problem but as i see the base model has repeat problems that are common with other volvos, these are obviously not the volvos of yesteryear.I would purchase another volvo, but definitely not a turbo of any kind

GM Transmission
By Jim on 09/28/09 18:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Volvo S-80. I just had the tramission rebuilt, It was done by a friend of mine so the cost was cheaper than someone off the street. I was surprised that when my friend told me that the transmission was a General Motors product. The problem was the 3rd gear went out. The mechanic told me this was common in this type transmission weither it was in a Volvo or a GM product. The clutches in this type transmission are not as tight meaning the shift will be smoother, but this leaves weaknest in the shifting process but smooth. So if you have tranny problems it will problem be the 3rd gear clutches. But the good news is it will probably be a good old GM transmission.

never again
By ADF on 09/13/09 19:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

I have had a love/hate relationship with my S80. Beautiful styling, best seats in the business, great 8 speaker stereo. LOUSY reliability, Paid $15,000.00 at 5yrs old and 37,000 miles. Noisy front end, repairing strut mounts twice, engine mount, ball joints, rear shocks, broken fuel line in the tank, ABS speed sensor failure, repairs too numerous to remember. Cost of ownership is way too high with every repair costing $1000.00 or more each time. Volvo has proprietary software diagnostics which requires you take it to a Volvo dealer every or most every time. It's simply too unreliable and costly to own. Too bad, it is a top of the line car. SHAME on Volvo for the poor engineering.

Just keeps going
By Volvonate on 09/09/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car just continues to run, i bought it really cheap with problems on the dash, but the car refuses to quit! i turn it over every time and it just keeps driving. i first made the switch to volvo a few years ago and it was a s70 and they both have been top notch cars!

Very happy after 9 years
By nyindallas on 08/06/09 22:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Volvo S80 Sedan 2.9 4dr Sedan

This car is a good example why one should not get too wrapped up in reviews. After 9 years I can say this car still is a dream to drive. I love taking it on country roads where the handling is amazing. I have also driven a Mercedes E320 on the same road and while the E320 has more power, it does not handle turns as well and does not come close in comfort.