Used 1999 Volvo S80 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S80 model:

hissing noise/brake concern
By jackson99

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Been hearing a hissing noise now for several months..understand may be a booster problem? What's this going to cost and will it get worse and brakes eventually fail? Thanks for any help!

Wanted to Like...
By lynnmckeel

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

I really wanted to like this car. It was so comfertable and I felt very safe all of the time. Drove like a dream. However it has been a constant money pit The car has 163,000 miles on it so it is old but its not going to last with out hundreds maybe thousands of dollars invested. Its been constant for the last two years: In addition routine work I have also had to replace struts, fix the fuel pump, the coils, the head light got busted and the electics have never been the same, the ac is shot, the power locks are shot, had to have the power steering fixed, and ALL of the fabric lining is coming off. Lots of money, time, and towing

Favorite Features

Soo safe, so comfertable, drives like a dream

Suggested Improvements

needs to be more reliable

Please stay away from this car.
By jd1isa2

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought the car last year and has been a big vacuum due to all the repairs. from the transmission, to the airbags, to suspension. Everything went wrong. Stalled on me several times. Bought it because of the Volvo safety reputation, but totally not worth it. Heard the later versions are markedly better but I'm staying away from this car.

Never again
By Some kind of Luck

1999 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I wish this didn't turn such a bad experience for me. Ever since I got the car, it's been one problem to another. My mechanic was tired of seeing me. First it was the motor for the window, then timing belt, after that, the headlights and the engine lights, then the sensor, then the passenger's mirror and the driver's mirror. I hate this car. I used to crave having a volvo. I learn my lesson. The worst of it all, it's difficult to find used parts. Everything cost an arm and a leg. The money I spent on it went double for repairs. I will advised every one that I know not to buy this car. if I cannot enjoy something for at least a year, then what's the point?

Favorite Features

I like the stereo system, great sounds, love the car seats, and also the shape of the car.

Suggested Improvements

the car needs to be performed to a higher level and the quality needs to be improved.

Heed this warning! ( wish I would of)
By HEBES

1999 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

Purchased car used. Expected much more from this car. I was afraid to drive it shortly after I got it fearing what would break next. I swear anything I touched in that car would break or cause something else to break. Something as simple as trying to put a cd in the stereo ended up costing me a new stereo and caused some kind of urgent airbag warning. Every time I get in its a mystery what will happen or not happen. I gave up putting money into it and will drive the car until it refuses to move. There is nothing consistent about this car except for some item or feature failing to work.

Favorite Features

Best feature about this car is that it have every possible code known to man for reporting problems with the car, and it needs them.

Suggested Improvements

Way too costly to repair, this car will bankrupt you. Anyone says otherwise is used to pumping lots of money into their vehicles.