Used 1998 Volvo S70 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Horrible, totally unreliable, prone to failure
By jschwaber

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Steering failed, developed an oil & radiator leak past 100k. ABS/TRACS failed immediately.

The door hinges on driver and passenger both failed. One pangs loudly at every catch, the other swings like a household door with no catch. The hydraulics in the trunk have failed completely.

Speakers were wired poorly- all flicker on and off (not blown out). The stereo has you change CD's in the *trunk* (of all places)

0-60 time is longer than 11 seconds on the base model, but still gets terrible MPG (21 average for the automatic, even when babying it)

Three star safety rating in the '90s, so it's not even very safe

e-brake broken

Good interior storage space, nice leather, good seats

I liked the interior. It was generally quiet, the seats are well-made and comfortable. Electric seats and heated seats were quite good. The stock stereo comes with anti-theft password protection, the sunroof is reliable and nice. The 4 disc Brakes work pretty well. The three driving modes is a neat feature. Good visibility. I like the equipment on it, it was pretty reliable. Heated seats, heated electric mirrors, power seats, etc., all worked throughout the life of the car.

Mechanically, this thing has spiraled downwards in every way imaginable. The workmanship is just horrible, but the transmission/engine just won't quite die, the performance just takes a horrible dip quite early in the life span. Despite being front wheel drive, it's pretty horrible in the snow. Admittedly, the ABS and traction control unit is dead, but they were made without heat syncs, so the chip failure is near-inevitable, even if replaced. To any future owners, there is a guy out there who will replace the chip with a unit with heat syncs he welds on after fixing the unit for around $100. To Volvo, I recommend fixing the whole heat sync issue in the first place.

Best Car Ever Built...End of Discussion!
By jayandally

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Volvo S70 in 2000 with 24,000 miles on it, but sadly had to say goodbye to it this week.
While it didn't get me to 300K, it did get me to 286,000.
The only work I ever had done was sparks plugs & wires, fuel filter, radiator hoses and alternator.
The car was rock solid and reliable.
I was so impressed with the car, I bought another S70 - hopefully this one gets me over 200K also.

Reliability, comfort

None

Great car at 170k
By mulchie

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used, mint w/ 40k in 2005. Now, at 170k I am having my very first problems but they are minor. Replacement headlamp (deer) went rusty. Replacement radio antenna (car wash got the 1st) busted. All mechanics have been mint. Only time she's left me stranded was when a simple $40 item broke in the accelerator cable. Limped into a gas station and she was back on the road in an hour. Also the clutch got rough (5-speed manual). Replaced & now drives like a dream. Body remains mint despite New England winters. No rust anywhere. Drive is smooth.
30mph highway. 25 combined. Sticky buttons -yes- as others have said. I smeared brown paper napkins on them and that dried it out.

Comfortable Reliable Safe Just a little delux

Sticky buttons hopefully have been addressed in updated models. Antenna is a bit overcomplicated (mechanical up and down)

Update
By pandabear1

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Since writing my review in May 2006, I have replaced the ABS module again, the rear shocks, and the O2 sensor.
The AC and thermostat both stopped working in 2009. I replaced the power windows around the same time because one day, they just "fell" into the doors.
In 2008, the key in the ignition wouldn't turn anymore and had to be replaced.
In order to make sure I'd just have 1 car key, all the door locks had to be replaced as well to make it uniform.
I can't even describe all the sounds coming from behind the dash of "loose parts" jiggling around. Given that after 14 years, there are only 112k miles, this car has had a ton of issues.

The seats are comfortable and plush. The trunk is large and deep.

Great Car!
By K

1998 Volvo S70 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I have had it for almost 2 years. It has been great to me, I've driven it for about 25,000 miles and it has been great. Only issue was it overheated due to my ignorance of not knowing what coolant was and what it did and drove it like a goof and put $400 down the drain.

Great first car. I have leather seats, power seats and a ton of room! Very comfortable. My car does not look cheap! Way better than all the typical first cars such as Civics. I tinted my windows and I feel like money. I have a great sound system and the most comfortable seats not to mention safety!

Better parts. I've had to replace both front blinker lights, they both fell off driving on the freeway and scratched the sides as I drove off. Cup holder is kinda useless, very fragile. Better mileage, I barely get 20. My defroster is a bit slow, but don't need it too much living in SoCal!