2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C30 model:
Great little car
By D on 03/15/10 02:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a C30 on our return to the US after a few years overseas. Previously we'd owned a 2003 VW GTi and a 2001 Porsche Boxster but now we only need one car. The C30 has everything we require -- more refined than the VW and, okay, not a Porsche but much cheaper to run. Space is fine for the two of us and the performance is more than good enough. When we bought it the trip computer software had not been loaded. The dealership's salespeople said it wasn't available on the manual. This simply was not true and the mechanics at the dealership installed it in a few minutes when we took it for its first service.

Best in Class, Value and Otherwise
By Paul on 03/01/10 19:06 PM (PST)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Strangely, this exquisite, sophisticated car is being overlooked in rankings because its drive isn't quite as "fun" as other cars. Meanwhile, it has twice the warranty of the far less dependable VW's, and has a solid reputation for reliability and has best in class safety. Being a grown up, I value those two aspects far more than the fun factor, which to me is represented well enough by the zippy engine, which, btw, is the same engine you get on most of the more expensive Volvos, so its a deal at this price. The C30s cost of ownership due is extremely low due to the expanded warranty package that makes it much more like buying a BMW, but for much less money. Best value anywhere.

2009 C30 great car
By scott fortune on 02/01/10 16:20 PM (PST)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2009 c30 is a very cool car and I have had it for almost one year. I get about 23 mph and have taken it from Jacksonville, Florida to ft. Lauderdale 2 times, for fun. The trip goes quickly and is very pleasant. My wife and I also own a 2008 Porsche Cayman s. We both often prefer the c30 because it is so much easier to drive... Easy and fun with room for groceries. I had 2 Volvo xc90's, dating back to 2004 or 2003. The c30 is much cooler and more fun. The dynaudio is an excellent option. I have automatic, leather, sunroof, Cruise, bluetooth, ipod compatible. I recommend it and would buy another one.

New C30 is having many issues
By davido on 01/15/10 21:16 PM (PST)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Decided to trade my 2006 S40 for a new C30. Since I've had the car, the passenger airbag light shows that the airbag is not on sometimes when passengers sit there. The first time I was told nothing was wrong with it, but it surfaced again. At the same time I noticed an oil leak in my garage. The car has 500 miles on it, and I wish I had the one with 85,000 that I traded in. This time, they told me that the airbag issue was a software upgrade problem (not sure why they didn't do this before delivering to me or last time it was in). Oil is from the oil cooler.

Safety/ Quality issues
By Humble77338 on 01/11/10 05:09 AM (PST)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had a Volvo for 5 yrs so I thought a C30 was the way to go when replacing my other car. Oh was I wrong. In the 1st 200 miles, my passenger air bag was not working (pregnant wife refuses to ride in my new car now). The service depat. told me that they couldn't fit it in on a Saturday...too many more important oil changes I suppose.The dealer kept it for 3 days, and now the problem seems to have resolved itself. This morning (mile 500) I have an oil leak under my car. I'm seeing that quality and safety are no longer top priorities with Volvo. Time to take it back again...more time off from work. Wish they would give me back my working trade-in so I could go elsewhere.

Just Right
By Terri on 12/19/09 10:41 AM (PST)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I literally test drove 12 vehicles and kept coming back to the C30. I love the size after driving a station wagon for so many years. It's easy to fit in spaces and maneuver city streets. Can't understand why they aren't more popular because there are so many great features. I was looking for a car with good pick up and boy does this have it. I love my new little car.

Still brings a smile to my face
By kevin on 11/27/09 20:53 PM (PST)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

After researching all small hatchbacks in the US market and test driving the Subaru Impreza WRX and the Mazda 3, I test drove the C30 and knew it was the one. (I also wanted to test the Audi A3 but the dealer did not have any in stock.) I use this car daily (23,000 miles in year one) both in heavy traffic and on the open road. It is very responsive and comfortable in all driving conditions. I chose the Geartronic transmission (auto+manual) due to heavy traffic and enjoy driving in both modes. This car has been great, and it gets lots of positive attention. Check out Volvo's website - you can fully custom order your C30. I'm so glad to have done so - haven't seen a twin yet in 22000 mi!

after a year some issues
By jasper on 11/16/09 09:24 AM (PST)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Just over a year with low mileage, ~12000. R-Design has great styling. The dash is a bit bland and more color could be added in the dash console lighting. Gas mileage is not quite what I expected, (6 speed manual) ranges from 31 to 21 (depends on time of year and how I drive). The front end on the RDesign is also poorly engineered. There is nothing you can do to prevent scraping when going up small upgrades (my driveway for example). This causes the rubber on the underside to hang down, quite an eyesore.

poor gas mileiage
By joel k on 08/24/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This is aquality car that fun to drive.

New volvo experience
By New c30 owner on 06/27/09 20:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

In general I am happy with my volvo c30 purchase. The 6 spd manual is fun to drive and it does carry a sleek look that is not too common. However I am missing the rear wheel drive fun of my last vehicle (mercedes c230). Really satisfied about the 5 yr bumper- to-bumper, 5 yr maint plus wear and tear I got with this purchase.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback in VA is:

$131 per month*