Used 2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

Great little car
By D

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a C30 on our return to the US after a few years overseas. Previously we'd owned a 2003 VW GTi and a 2001 Porsche Boxster but now we only need one car. The C30 has everything we require -- more refined than the VW and, okay, not a Porsche but much cheaper to run. Space is fine for the two of us and the performance is more than good enough. When we bought it the trip computer software had not been loaded. The dealership's salespeople said it wasn't available on the manual. This simply was not true and the mechanics at the dealership installed it in a few minutes when we took it for its first service.

Build quality, looks (especially the 'flower petal' wheels), performance, comfort, moonroof.

None -- it's perfect as is.

Best in Class, Value and Otherwise
By Paul

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Strangely, this exquisite, sophisticated car is being overlooked in rankings because its drive isn't quite as "fun" as other cars. Meanwhile, it has twice the warranty of the far less dependable VW's, and has a solid reputation for reliability and has best in class safety. Being a grown up, I value those two aspects far more than the fun factor, which to me is represented well enough by the zippy engine, which, btw, is the same engine you get on most of the more expensive Volvos, so its a deal at this price. The C30s cost of ownership due is extremely low due to the expanded warranty package that makes it much more like buying a BMW, but for much less money. Best value anywhere.

The stunning design, inside and out - should appeal to artists of all ages. The amazing stock stereo, 8 well placed speakers that burn in so well you think you're in a much pricier car. The memory foam seats, which are comfortable even after hours of driving. Awesome AC. Solid and sleek.

I really wanted the choice of an environmentally friendlier diesel or hybrid. The terrific performance of the engine in accelerating is too costly in gas mileage for me. According to the auto press, buyers like me (and many of you) for whom engine performance isn't everything, don't exist/matter.

2009 C30 great car
By scott fortune

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2009 c30 is a very cool car and I have had it for almost one year. I get about 23 mph and have taken it from Jacksonville, Florida to ft. Lauderdale 2 times, for fun. The trip goes quickly and is very pleasant. My wife and I also own a 2008 Porsche Cayman s. We both often prefer the c30 because it is so much easier to drive... Easy and fun with room for groceries. I had 2 Volvo xc90's, dating back to 2004 or 2003. The c30 is much cooler and more fun. The dynaudio is an excellent option. I have automatic, leather, sunroof, Cruise, bluetooth, ipod compatible. I recommend it and would buy another one.

exterior styling, seats, headroom, bluetooth, dynaudio, acceleration is awesome. I am 6 feet 2 inches and the car rocks with plenty of room.

more room in rear seats and in cargo area; easier access to rear seats, more room behind the floating center console, more room in door compartments.

New C30 is having many issues
By davido

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Decided to trade my 2006 S40 for a new C30. Since I've had the car, the passenger airbag light shows that the airbag is not on sometimes when passengers sit there. The first time I was told nothing was wrong with it, but it surfaced again. At the same time I noticed an oil leak in my garage. The car has 500 miles on it, and I wish I had the one with 85,000 that I traded in. This time, they told me that the airbag issue was a software upgrade problem (not sure why they didn't do this before delivering to me or last time it was in). Oil is from the oil cooler.

Hard to say. Seems like I'll forget what my car looks like before I get it back. It's comfortable and I like the keyless drive, but other than that I haven't been able to drive it much.

Not sure...reliability? I've only had the car in my possession 8 out of 21 days so far, and it's still in the shop. Today they decided it was the turbo drain plug after replacing the oil cooler.

Safety/ Quality issues
By Humble77338

2009 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had a Volvo for 5 yrs so I thought a C30 was the way to go when replacing my other car. Oh was I wrong. In the 1st 200 miles, my passenger air bag was not working (pregnant wife refuses to ride in my new car now). The service depat. told me that they couldn't fit it in on a Saturday...too many more important oil changes I suppose.The dealer kept it for 3 days, and now the problem seems to have resolved itself. This morning (mile 500) I have an oil leak under my car. I'm seeing that quality and safety are no longer top priorities with Volvo. Time to take it back again...more time off from work. Wish they would give me back my working trade-in so I could go elsewhere.

Keyless drive, (I might have others if I was able to drive it more)

Better focus of quality/safety of deliverable vehicles. Delivered initially with passenger airbag not working.