Used 1997 Volvo 960 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volvo 960 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )

A great and comfortable family hauler
By ivorytickler

1997 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

We've owned Volvo for years, and traded a 1988 740 Turbo for our current 1997 960 in September 2001. Our current mileage is 169,000, and other than routine maintenance, our car has been reliable, comfortable and trouble-free. Yes, the plastic interior bits do tend to fall off and the sunroof leaks, but the car's long-distance comfort, safety, and high spec make it an ideal purchase for those on a budget who desire a safe, solid and agile vehicle. The key is to find a good mechanic who specializes and let him look after the maintenance. Running costs are much less than a Mercedes or BMW. We average 20mpg city/26 hwy. The '98 V70 is the same car, and the last year for this body style.

rear-wheel drive, long-distance comfort, excellent seats, capacious cargo capacity, good ergonomics, reasonably moderate to service.

plastic bits break, sunroof can leak, brakes can be an issue, but mine have had no problems.

Solid vehicle, Volvo service has slipped
By 960 fan

1997 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

have all praise for this car. last of the roomy comfy wagons. Only buyer beware is poor Volvo service nowadays. cannot invest today's Volvo prices, and risk big service $$$$ with poor service quality, numerous, repeated trips over same problems. more than one dealership. Sad for what was once a great company. we're now looking at VW, Subaru, after years with Volvo.

comfort, dsafety, turning circle

More quality control in dealership service departments.

A great Car!
By mlmain

1997 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I agree with the others: an all-around great car. The only glaring piece of poor workmanship is the cup holder--- surely Volvo could have done better than this. Very smooth engine, largely due to its being an inline six. And rear drive contributes to better weight distribution. Rear drive also makes possible the short turning radius-no problems with tight u-turns. I have mixed premium gas with intermediate without a problem. Agreed, radio reception isn't the best, as others have observed.After several years, my air conditioning output is getting weak, but that may only require a recharge of refrigerant- --I hope! Front window sill coverings are pulling away. Am very pleased overall.

performance, comfort, spacious rear- seat legroom (a shortcoming on many other cars with their sloping rooflines).

As others have said, the cupholder should have been better designed to begin with. It is very flimsy and mine broke.

Love My 960 Wagon
By Jenna

1997 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This is the most favorite car that I've owned (Nissan Maxima - 2 of them and an Acura Legend). January 2009 turned over 200K miles. Smooth ride and super dependable. Power is there when needed, so don't underestimate this car where performance is concerned. Premium fuel must be used, always. I average in-town 20.4 miles per gallon. Regular maintenance by Volvo specialized mechanic is paramount. I wish they still made these cars.

Wood dash, analog control panel with clock, and the fact that you can "peel wheels" or "get a wheel" with this car.

Cup holders are inadequate. AM/FM radio reception is limited with antenna embedded in windshield.

Great car
By Aimee

1997 Volvo 960 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I have owned this car for three years now and the car is 11 years old. Great performance, very reliable for it's age. I have only replaced the brakes and rotors once. That's not bad in three years. My only complaint is the cup holders. They are cheap and don't hold a cup. This is the last year that Volvo made there cars. Ford now builds them and I would never buy from Ford. All in all this is a great car.

Comfort, reliable, good brakes, built in booster set.

Cup holders