2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg 2 model:
Very poor gas efficiency
By bochencz on 07/20/12 21:24 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

If you want to live at the gas station, go and get VW Touareg. Very poor poor poor gasoline efficiency. I don't recommend this car to anybody. It's not worth money you paid.

Beware the total cost of ownership!
By jtmke on 01/16/11 10:27 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have driven my Toureg for 39 months and 39K miles. The only reliability issue I have had has been the tailgate lift. After 36 months, the dealership finally showed me how to reset it myself. I was very disappointed by the $1k brake job and $600 tire replacement at 25K miles. This made my "affordable" lease payment not so affordable. I wasn't really expecting to put any maintenance costs into it for the first three years. I have loved driving this car. The base T2 is very nicely loaded, but I am happy to turn it in before anything else wears out. I will be switching to something with lower maintenance costs.

get something else
By omg on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

first of all i had to change brakes at 16000 miles .the 19" tires stink, i blew 2 of them already.had timing chain replaced at 22000 miles

Fun "Mom" Car
By OnlyGerman4Me on 06/26/10 19:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I drove an Audi TT prior to purchasing my Touareg, but once I decided to start a family I knew it was time to say good-bye. Coming from such a fun, sporty car, not just any replacement would do. I wanted something attractive with great handling and good acceleration. I also wanted some FEATURES. My Touareg has not disappointed. Any time I need a little extra power, I just throw her into Sport and take off. Is she as fast as my TT? No, but I don't expect that out of a SUV. The dropoff is not as significant as what I experienced when I test drove the Audi Q7. 2 years in, I have had no problems with the car at all. I just take it in every 10K miles for scheduled maintenance.

LuvMy2008Touareg
By BestSUV on 04/15/10 05:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I enjoy my Touareg because it the easiest SUV that I've ever driven. It actually drives like a sedan. No other SUV that I've ever driven compares to my 2008 Touareg. Handling both on and off road is superb. Can't wait for the next model.

better than cayenne
By gtnoe on 03/20/10 07:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 V8 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Puts a smile on my face everytime I get in it, especially at night. Sold a 2004 v8 cayenne loaded to buy this. Maybe the only vehicle available that has a center and rear differential and can operate in 22" of water. The key to this suv is, that like a Porsche, it has true dual air in and out. Quieter than cayenne and exterior looks better.

Should be better for the money
By loreleipta on 02/25/10 16:23 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Traded a Durango for this. At first, I really enjoyed the Treg, but now extremely disappointed. Every week a new dysfunctional symptom appears. Sometimes the push button start doesn't work, the lift gait doesn't open or won't close, the transmission downshifts very hard, on and on. Took to the dealership with a diary of the problems but was told the problems couldn't be duplicated. Had to replace the tires under 20k miles with no help from VW of America. Are Pirelli tires really that cheap?! Felt the warranty should have covered part of the replacement. I have started comparing vehicles to trade the VW. Can't wait for it to go!!

A great non-grocery getter
By 2VT6 on 02/06/10 14:02 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great SUV but it is not your typical soccer mom grocery getter. Volkswagen designed this to be one of the best off-roaders in the world, while providing exceptional comfort on the road. The 4x4 system is unmatched by anyone in its class and it WILL get you there and back in comfort. This is also one of the safest SUVs on the market. It is over engineered through and through. It may not be the roomiest, cheapest or most readily available but that is not what its built for. Get a Suburban for that. The Touareg mixes a blend of comfort, high class quality, luxury and unmatched off road prowess that very few SUVs on the road even come close.

LessthandependableVW
By Bill on 01/26/10 22:22 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this VW used w/14k miles on it.That low mileage should have made the alarm go off, but I "assumed" the low mpg rating was the reason for the early trade-in.The first item was an engine hesitation from a cold start.Three trips to the dealer and a power pack was finally replaced. Then the first time I needed the AWD to get thru some snow/ice for work, the alternator went out (23K miles).Of course VW doesn't have repair parts in the US, so I had to wait 10 days for the alternator (actually a generator) to be shipped from Germany. I was given a rental car (Toyota Corolla) to drive. I guess they wanted to make sure I could get back to the dealer's. And I replaced the tires at 21K.

VW review
By VW Driver on 11/20/09 12:09 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 VR6 FSI 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Saddened to write this: Potential buyers beware, dont let the streamlined good looks of this car fool you; its not as fun to own as one would think. For starters, insufficient interior storage- be it for your cell, sunglasses or misc supplies (definitely not a mom friendly car). The owners manual is HUGE, poorly written and time consuming to find what you are looking for and you will be looking. And it lacks basic answers. "Warning" lights are a constant. Needed new brake pads at 12k miles- $600 bucks! An oil change is $100+ and gas, OMG! Also, this car is not intuitive- things are not where they should be and I find driving it annoying on most days. I SO wanted to love this car...but DON'T!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.