2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Routan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Sort Reviews by

Best minivan ever!
By luvveedub

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Yes, I know the criticism -- the Routan is a Town and Country disguised as a Volkswagen. No matter. I am a Volkswagen loyalist (this is my 3rd VW -- also have a 2008 Rabbit) and this is a GREAT minivan. Comfortable, smooth, great seats, attractive, even powerful (4.0 engine). Really, what's not to like? Sure it isn't as nimble as my old Passat or my Rabbit, but I didn't expect it to be -- I mean it is a minivan, after all. Yet, I think VW's suspension tweaks do make it superior to the Town and Country and - - dare I say -- the Odyssey and Sienna.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, ride, peppy 4.0 engine, features.

Suggested Improvements

Please include satellite radio as standard equipment. Otherwise, no complaints.

Routan is a great Minivan
By Vdub Routan

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our SEL Routan for a little over a year and can recommend it to any family. The 4.0 V6 is quick and fuel efficient. The handling is the best in mini van class. We love all the friendly feature and use it much more than our full size SUV. VW has given us FREE service and a loaner when ever we need oil changes or any work done. An added benefit of having a product with Chrysler volume parts is aftermarket upgrade or optional products for cheap. We are Happy owners.

Favorite Features

Handling. 4.0 V6

Suggested Improvements

Pentastar V6 option

A fun to drive minivan? Yes!
By martsro

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our Routan for a little over a year and 21K miles later it is still fun to drive. So far we have not had any repairs other than the free scheduled maint. Have had several issues with the automatic doors not wanting to close. Very frustrating!! Factory Bridgestone tires are horrible. Will probably need to be replaced within the next 5K miles. 4.0 V6 has plenty of power. No trouble merging into highway traffic. Fuel economy isn't the greatest in town (16mpg). Average around 19 mpg in combined driving. Averaged 23 mpg on a trip from tx to in. Kids love it. Plenty of storage thanks to the in- floor storage. Tons of cup holders. Third-row seat is a little cramped, ok for kids.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, fun to drive, styling, free maint. for 36K miles.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, make the instrument lights match the radio/ac controls, fix the door issues!

A Dodge with VW emblem
By Kfry

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased for cross country trip and move to Hawaii. When the vehicle arrived at the dealership (we ordered it to our specs) we were excited. That didn't last long as the steering pulled left. Dealer tried to fix but unsuccessful and we were stuck with it pulling slightly left (don't take your hands off the wheel!) The drive cross country went well. In Hawaii we started have transmission problems. We took it to the dealer 4 times and had the trans replaced twice. It seems to work now. Horrible gas mileage. How can VW tout this van as one of their products. I have owned 2 other VW and loved them. This was the biggest purchase mistake I have made. If I wanted a Dodge I would have gotten one.

Favorite Features

bought a Dodge. Nav system is nice but the blue tooth acts up all the time. Tried the lemon law but the corp office HQ just gave us the run around; they offered to pay 2 of our monthly payments if we would just go away. I wanted them to take the van back... no dice. Don't buy this van!

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable arm rest on driver's seat. Adjustable middle seats. Make a real VW van that you are truly proud to call a VW rather than this piece of junk. Please email me and say you will work out a reasonable deal to trade this in for a real VW product. No one wants these vans for trade-ins.

My wife and I love this minivan!
By Laine Adrian

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We looked and looked for 3 months prior to settling with the VW. I am a German car fanatic and had only owned Mercedes and VWs in my recent past. My wife was more open so we looked at the different brands. The need for a minivan came apparent when our second child arrived and between two child seats and all the "stuff" that you need, our sedan had been outgrown. The Routan felt more comfortable, more powerful, my wife really likes the amenities that it has and how it handles. VW, Honda and Toyota models do compete however, the VW takes the title for looks, comfort, performance and style. I've seen cites comparing the Routan with Kia and honestly, they aren't even in the same league.

Favorite Features

Leather is plush, seats comfy, the navigation/media center is awesome. Performance is also great, less than 9 seconds 0-60 in a minivan! I'll be honest, I take it grocery shopping when it's my turn and do it with a smile, I don't feel like I've lost my German machine bond, this is a superb van.

Suggested Improvements

The Routan came with Bridgestone Turanza tires which are not a good match for the 4.0 L engine. My wife (not I) makes them screech often. I wish I had paid attention to the tires prior to delivery to have them exchanged. It is only a minor complaint from a Michelin man.

We vowed never to get a minivan...
By peninroutan

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

...but we gave in after we had our third child. We looked at the Odyssey and Sienna, but these were ubiquitous and not very interesting to us. The Routan? Looks good, drives well with its stiffer VW suspension, and has huge amounts of space. We know its essentially a Chrysler, but the interior has enough VW feel to be fun. The dual-electric doors are great (Toyota Siennas seemed to offer only one electric door on some models). The exterior has strong lines. Will have to follow up later with a detailed review of reliability. Basically, its a minivan for those who promised they would never get one. As a guy, I'm OK being seen driving it, which is worth a lot.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, dual electric doors, sunroof, black dash switches, electric fold-down rear seats, sliding door windows can be rolled down.

Suggested Improvements

Mast antenna is outdated and vulnerable to breakage. Backup sensors should be standard for a car this size. Middle-row seats should adjust forward.

The "I'll never drive a minivan" Minivan
By Abby

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I swore I'd never drive a minivan. Hate the way they look, hate the big size, hate the soccer mom stereotype. But then I met the Routan. It drives like a dream and was worth overcoming my hangups. Hubby says he feels like he's floating (tho only the SEL has the bigger engine). It is as beautiful as a minivan can get. Seats are very comfortable, handling is precise and nimble, and the VW styling is quite nice. Great cargo hold behind front seats; easy bluetooth with Uconnect; nice tailgate seats in back; plenty of cupholders, electric outlets, storage. I really wanted the RSE for the kids, but we couldn't afford it. Instead I bought 2 tablet style dvd players with headrest clamps. Perfect.

Favorite Features

VW interior styling. Comfortable, beautiful leather seats. Auto climate control throughout all rows. Cargo storage behind front seats. Suspension: makes handling a breeze.

Suggested Improvements

RSE was very pricey at $3k, much more so than most systems in competing vehicles. MPG isn't as good, in my experience as advertised. We're getting about 15 MPG in town. Tan leather seats are pretty but too light for messy kids. A/C controls a bit low on the console making them hard to read at times

The Good and The Bad!
By thayes82

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Routan for exactly 30 days. On day 28 I was traveling with a friend and 5 kids. The transmission acted up and wouldn't go out of first. We were stranded in small town. Mind you my van only had 1050 miles on it. Anyway, the good is VW roadside was Awesome, they picked up the van delivered it to the nearest dealership and are fixing it now. They gave us a rental so I am impressed with VW service. They are replacing the valve body on my van and hopefully there will be no more issues. I love my van and am very hopeful nothing else goes wrong and this was just a fluke!

Favorite Features

Touch screen radio/gps, power doors.

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable middle seats...move forward and back.

VW reputation intact
By late74C

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Just purchased my new VW Routan last weekend as part of a cash for clunker deal. Have an SEL w/trim pkg 3 and navi. This will be our 3rd minivan since '90 (a '90 and '97 Dodge Gr Caravan) and so far like this one the best, lot's of little extras, comfy seats, great power and ride. Only rated it an '8' on reliability as we had a 'no-start' situation this past Monday but this is the reason for the review -- VW's roadside assistance arranged a tow to the dealer who handled it quickly -- it turned out to be loose connections in the master fuse panel. We have multiple cars so it was no bother as well as they updated the navi system once a complete check of electrical was done. Great job VW!

Favorite Features

Power (for a minivan) from 4.0L, nice interior and seats, remote start, navigation and backup camera, smooth ride, those checking out minivans should check out a Routan

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully no more gremlins, but nice to know VW offers high level of customer care as well as 3 year free maintenance

Beware of this beauty...
By VW-BAD

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned my 09 Routan SEL for around 4 mo and about 4000 miles and disappointed does not begin to describe my state of mind!!! My brakes have been squealing since about the 1000 mile mark and it is "normal" according to a qualified technician. Both of my sliding doors have given me numerous problems, including not closing properly and I have come back to a vehicle with an open door. Gas mileage is atrocious. This vehicle has been a nightmare to deal with (especially with two young kids). Yes it is beautiful, but at what price?

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design, and space.

Suggested Improvements

To make a set of brake pads that don't squeal at 1000 miles and doors that actually close when the close button is pushed.