2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan 4.0L V6 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

SEL Passenger Minivan (4.0L V6 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Routan model:
Best minivan ever!
By luvveedub on 02/09/11 04:29 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Yes, I know the criticism -- the Routan is a Town and Country disguised as a Volkswagen. No matter. I am a Volkswagen loyalist (this is my 3rd VW -- also have a 2008 Rabbit) and this is a GREAT minivan. Comfortable, smooth, great seats, attractive, even powerful (4.0 engine). Really, what's not to like? Sure it isn't as nimble as my old Passat or my Rabbit, but I didn't expect it to be -- I mean it is a minivan, after all. Yet, I think VW's suspension tweaks do make it superior to the Town and Country and - - dare I say -- the Odyssey and Sienna.

Routan is a great Minivan
By Vdub Routan on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our SEL Routan for a little over a year and can recommend it to any family. The 4.0 V6 is quick and fuel efficient. The handling is the best in mini van class. We love all the friendly feature and use it much more than our full size SUV. VW has given us FREE service and a loaner when ever we need oil changes or any work done. An added benefit of having a product with Chrysler volume parts is aftermarket upgrade or optional products for cheap. We are Happy owners.

A fun to drive minivan? Yes!
By martsro on 08/01/10 23:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our Routan for a little over a year and 21K miles later it is still fun to drive. So far we have not had any repairs other than the free scheduled maint. Have had several issues with the automatic doors not wanting to close. Very frustrating!! Factory Bridgestone tires are horrible. Will probably need to be replaced within the next 5K miles. 4.0 V6 has plenty of power. No trouble merging into highway traffic. Fuel economy isn't the greatest in town (16mpg). Average around 19 mpg in combined driving. Averaged 23 mpg on a trip from tx to in. Kids love it. Plenty of storage thanks to the in- floor storage. Tons of cup holders. Third-row seat is a little cramped, ok for kids.

A Dodge with VW emblem
By Kfry on 07/15/10 17:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased for cross country trip and move to Hawaii. When the vehicle arrived at the dealership (we ordered it to our specs) we were excited. That didn't last long as the steering pulled left. Dealer tried to fix but unsuccessful and we were stuck with it pulling slightly left (don't take your hands off the wheel!) The drive cross country went well. In Hawaii we started have transmission problems. We took it to the dealer 4 times and had the trans replaced twice. It seems to work now. Horrible gas mileage. How can VW tout this van as one of their products. I have owned 2 other VW and loved them. This was the biggest purchase mistake I have made. If I wanted a Dodge I would have gotten one.

My wife and I love this minivan!
By Laine Adrian on 06/14/10 13:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We looked and looked for 3 months prior to settling with the VW. I am a German car fanatic and had only owned Mercedes and VWs in my recent past. My wife was more open so we looked at the different brands. The need for a minivan came apparent when our second child arrived and between two child seats and all the "stuff" that you need, our sedan had been outgrown. The Routan felt more comfortable, more powerful, my wife really likes the amenities that it has and how it handles. VW, Honda and Toyota models do compete however, the VW takes the title for looks, comfort, performance and style. I've seen cites comparing the Routan with Kia and honestly, they aren't even in the same league.

We vowed never to get a minivan...
By peninroutan on 03/24/10 13:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

...but we gave in after we had our third child. We looked at the Odyssey and Sienna, but these were ubiquitous and not very interesting to us. The Routan? Looks good, drives well with its stiffer VW suspension, and has huge amounts of space. We know its essentially a Chrysler, but the interior has enough VW feel to be fun. The dual-electric doors are great (Toyota Siennas seemed to offer only one electric door on some models). The exterior has strong lines. Will have to follow up later with a detailed review of reliability. Basically, its a minivan for those who promised they would never get one. As a guy, I'm OK being seen driving it, which is worth a lot.

The "I'll never drive a minivan" Minivan
By Abby on 09/08/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I swore I'd never drive a minivan. Hate the way they look, hate the big size, hate the soccer mom stereotype. But then I met the Routan. It drives like a dream and was worth overcoming my hangups. Hubby says he feels like he's floating (tho only the SEL has the bigger engine). It is as beautiful as a minivan can get. Seats are very comfortable, handling is precise and nimble, and the VW styling is quite nice. Great cargo hold behind front seats; easy bluetooth with Uconnect; nice tailgate seats in back; plenty of cupholders, electric outlets, storage. I really wanted the RSE for the kids, but we couldn't afford it. Instead I bought 2 tablet style dvd players with headrest clamps. Perfect.

The Good and The Bad!
By thayes82 on 08/31/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Routan for exactly 30 days. On day 28 I was traveling with a friend and 5 kids. The transmission acted up and wouldn't go out of first. We were stranded in small town. Mind you my van only had 1050 miles on it. Anyway, the good is VW roadside was Awesome, they picked up the van delivered it to the nearest dealership and are fixing it now. They gave us a rental so I am impressed with VW service. They are replacing the valve body on my van and hopefully there will be no more issues. I love my van and am very hopeful nothing else goes wrong and this was just a fluke!

VW reputation intact
By late74C on 08/27/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Just purchased my new VW Routan last weekend as part of a cash for clunker deal. Have an SEL w/trim pkg 3 and navi. This will be our 3rd minivan since '90 (a '90 and '97 Dodge Gr Caravan) and so far like this one the best, lot's of little extras, comfy seats, great power and ride. Only rated it an '8' on reliability as we had a 'no-start' situation this past Monday but this is the reason for the review -- VW's roadside assistance arranged a tow to the dealer who handled it quickly -- it turned out to be loose connections in the master fuse panel. We have multiple cars so it was no bother as well as they updated the navi system once a complete check of electrical was done. Great job VW!

Beware of this beauty...
By VW-BAD on 07/07/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned my 09 Routan SEL for around 4 mo and about 4000 miles and disappointed does not begin to describe my state of mind!!! My brakes have been squealing since about the 1000 mile mark and it is "normal" according to a qualified technician. Both of my sliding doors have given me numerous problems, including not closing properly and I have come back to a vehicle with an open door. Gas mileage is atrocious. This vehicle has been a nightmare to deal with (especially with two young kids). Yes it is beautiful, but at what price?