Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Best minivan ever!
By luvveedub

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Yes, I know the criticism -- the Routan is a Town and Country disguised as a Volkswagen. No matter. I am a Volkswagen loyalist (this is my 3rd VW -- also have a 2008 Rabbit) and this is a GREAT minivan. Comfortable, smooth, great seats, attractive, even powerful (4.0 engine). Really, what's not to like? Sure it isn't as nimble as my old Passat or my Rabbit, but I didn't expect it to be -- I mean it is a minivan, after all. Yet, I think VW's suspension tweaks do make it superior to the Town and Country and - - dare I say -- the Odyssey and Sienna.

Heated seats, ride, peppy 4.0 engine, features.

Please include satellite radio as standard equipment. Otherwise, no complaints.

Routan is a great Minivan
By Vdub Routan

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our SEL Routan for a little over a year and can recommend it to any family. The 4.0 V6 is quick and fuel efficient. The handling is the best in mini van class. We love all the friendly feature and use it much more than our full size SUV. VW has given us FREE service and a loaner when ever we need oil changes or any work done. An added benefit of having a product with Chrysler volume parts is aftermarket upgrade or optional products for cheap. We are Happy owners.

Handling. 4.0 V6

Pentastar V6 option

A fun to drive minivan? Yes!
By martsro

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our Routan for a little over a year and 21K miles later it is still fun to drive. So far we have not had any repairs other than the free scheduled maint. Have had several issues with the automatic doors not wanting to close. Very frustrating!! Factory Bridgestone tires are horrible. Will probably need to be replaced within the next 5K miles. 4.0 V6 has plenty of power. No trouble merging into highway traffic. Fuel economy isn't the greatest in town (16mpg). Average around 19 mpg in combined driving. Averaged 23 mpg on a trip from tx to in. Kids love it. Plenty of storage thanks to the in- floor storage. Tons of cup holders. Third-row seat is a little cramped, ok for kids.

Comfy seats, fun to drive, styling, free maint. for 36K miles.

Better tires, make the instrument lights match the radio/ac controls, fix the door issues!

A Dodge with VW emblem
By Kfry

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased for cross country trip and move to Hawaii. When the vehicle arrived at the dealership (we ordered it to our specs) we were excited. That didn't last long as the steering pulled left. Dealer tried to fix but unsuccessful and we were stuck with it pulling slightly left (don't take your hands off the wheel!) The drive cross country went well. In Hawaii we started have transmission problems. We took it to the dealer 4 times and had the trans replaced twice. It seems to work now. Horrible gas mileage. How can VW tout this van as one of their products. I have owned 2 other VW and loved them. This was the biggest purchase mistake I have made. If I wanted a Dodge I would have gotten one.

bought a Dodge. Nav system is nice but the blue tooth acts up all the time. Tried the lemon law but the corp office HQ just gave us the run around; they offered to pay 2 of our monthly payments if we would just go away. I wanted them to take the van back... no dice. Don't buy this van!

Adjustable arm rest on driver's seat. Adjustable middle seats. Make a real VW van that you are truly proud to call a VW rather than this piece of junk. Please email me and say you will work out a reasonable deal to trade this in for a real VW product. No one wants these vans for trade-ins.

My wife and I love this minivan!
By Laine Adrian

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We looked and looked for 3 months prior to settling with the VW. I am a German car fanatic and had only owned Mercedes and VWs in my recent past. My wife was more open so we looked at the different brands. The need for a minivan came apparent when our second child arrived and between two child seats and all the "stuff" that you need, our sedan had been outgrown. The Routan felt more comfortable, more powerful, my wife really likes the amenities that it has and how it handles. VW, Honda and Toyota models do compete however, the VW takes the title for looks, comfort, performance and style. I've seen cites comparing the Routan with Kia and honestly, they aren't even in the same league.

Leather is plush, seats comfy, the navigation/media center is awesome. Performance is also great, less than 9 seconds 0-60 in a minivan! I'll be honest, I take it grocery shopping when it's my turn and do it with a smile, I don't feel like I've lost my German machine bond, this is a superb van.

The Routan came with Bridgestone Turanza tires which are not a good match for the 4.0 L engine. My wife (not I) makes them screech often. I wish I had paid attention to the tires prior to delivery to have them exchanged. It is only a minor complaint from a Michelin man.

• SUV