Used 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Unlimited Smiles per Mile
By davepete

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned my Rabbit now for a little over a month. Each and every day I look forward to the commute to work because the Rabbit is so much fun to drive. No problem merging onto the highway, or passing slower traffic. The ride is firm but smooth, and engine response is immediate. I test drove the Scion tC, Mazda-3, Toyota Matrix, Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza, and Chevy Cobalt. None of them could touch the Rabbit in terms of overall feel, and build quality. If you're looking for an inexpensive "fun" car, don't pass up test driving the Rabbit.

Torque! Also the Multi-function display, interior blue and red lighting at night, comfortable seats, theft deterrent system. Oh, and did I mention Torque!

My only complaint is that when you go around corners, water on the roof drips into the passenger compartment when the windows are cracked open.

Vunderbar
By JDub

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had the car for about 3 months, and can not say enough praise about it. Very versatile, peppy and an overall amazing car. I have a slightly above average commute, and the mileage isn't bad at all, even in the city. Inside, ample space and comfort makes it a great alternative to an SUV or "Crossover" (whatever that is). Fun little "easter eggs" inside and out make me say, "Well, thats smart".

Telescoping steering wheel, Stereo, Tiptronic Tranny and automatic windows.

iPod dock is very tight and radio integration is awkwardly designed. I wish the hatch would come up on its own when the button is pressed on the door.

Great little car
By stephen

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had this car for about 5 weeks and put 2000 miles on it. For the price (under $18k with 170 hp, 6 speed auto & Tiptronic) you really can't beat it. 95% of the mileage is city driving, and I avg 17.9 mpg, which isn't great but I do drive quite aggressively. Overall the car feels quite well-built, and given that I used to manage a valet lot and have driven Audi, BMW, Porsche, Lexus, Jaguar, etc, that is pretty impressive, especially at this price point. In my opinion you are basically getting a GTI at an economy car price - and my insurance is far cheaper than it would be with a sports car. The only downside is the fuel economy, but if you can get past that, this car is a winner.

170 hp, 177 torque, 6speed auto w/tiptronic, excellent handling, good looking car, fully loaded for under $18k?? You can't beat that.

Factory stereo system is mediocre, gas mileage is slightly painful, and the ride is maybe a little too soft for me (though during longer drives this can be a good thing). Other than that I love this car as it is.

Wascally fun at a weasonable price
By chromewheels

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After exhaustive research and test drives, I went with the Rabbit. I bought the 4-door with the manual transmission, which I hear is a combination that won't be available next year. Not to mention I really don't like the looks of the next generation Rabbit. I knew the gas mileage wasn't great before I bought the car, so I'm not all that disappointed. I love the torque, this thing really pulls even from off-idle. The driving position and controls are top notch. I wish the diesel was available when I bought this, would've been a no-brainer. The inline-5 is a weird-sounding engine, not really worth revving up. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Styling, especially in silver with the 18-inch GTI wheels, tinted windows, and body colored lower rear bumper. Very sexy. I love the torquey engine, and the amazing amount of high-end features you get for the money.

Ho-hum gas mileage. Light gray interior is a dirt magnet, should've gone with darker color. Wheezy-sounding engine. Tough to close rear hatch without touching paint. Tight back seat room. Tedious CD changer loading/unloading process. No fog lights. Door panel rattle. That's about it.

Great Practical Value!
By hpowders

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Came from a BMW 545i; and while this is no BMW, it is pretty much fun to drive. Terrific value for what comes standard. Love the Satellite Radio. Driver's seat is more comfortable than the BMW's. Legroom is more generous too up front. Would love a bit more power. Could use larger side mirrors. These create blind spots. Adaptive steering should be optional. I don't care for it. Mileage could be a bit better too. A lot of room in back with back seats folded. My 68" road bike fits in completely when I push the front passenger seat down. I have the car for two weeks and everything works the way it should. My first two fill ups were 24 mpg. The last one was only 22.6. All in all, a steal at $20k.

Comfortable driver's seat and legroom. Satellite Radio installed as standard. Agility makes it fun to drive.

Needs to get better mileage. 22.6 mpg stinks for a vehicle this size. Driver's seat memory would be nice. A bit more power would be welcome. Adaptive steering should be optional.