2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:
Not an economy car
By paul on 01/06/08 13:20 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The Rabbit is fun to drive and inexpensive to purchase. Handling is very good. Acceleration from the 170 horse 5 cylinder is vastly better than the approx 120 horsepower and 4 cylinders of most cars at this price point. Interior space is good compared to the small exterior. From its price and size you might think it is an economy car but it is not. Gas mileage is poor (pathetic 22 MPH after 4 tanks). Dependability ratings are not nearly as good as an Asian car either. If you think of it as an inexpensive sports car you will be happy, if you think of it as something in the class of a bullet proof Honda or Toyota you may be disappointed. Overall I am neither very happy or unhappy with it.

Great little car
By Mark on 01/04/08 03:39 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Searched for over 3 months to replace an aging Jeep. I wanted a hatchback for its space and size. We looked at the Fit, Versa, Mazda3, Mini, Caliber and numerous others. The finish and quality of the Rabbit was the best. The performance is outstanding, I love the turn radius and size. With my old cherokee, I had a little extra space in my garage. With the Rabbit, I have even more with the same responsiveness and HP as the old 4.0L inline 6 in the Jeep with significantly better gas mileage - it doubled. The dealership I purchased it encouraged naming it, so we now call it Rascal! (after Elmer Fudd wascally wabbit)

Honda/Toyata guy converted to VW
By VW convert on 01/04/08 02:25 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I am 100% satisfied with my Rabbit. For me, the Rabbit was a perfect balance of economy and performance. I had considered a whole spectrum of vehicles- from a Toyota Yaris to a Mazda Mazda3 hatchback. The VW Rabbit sits somewhere in between those two models in terms of mpg and is competitive with the Mazda3's performance, though I might say the Mazda has better handling. One thing that the Rabbit, and German cars in general, have over any other car I was considering was it's awesome build quality. My Rabbit is a small car and is by no means a tank, but it feels as strong and tough as one. Hondas and Toyotas feel like tin cans compared to VW's. The Rabbit is also very zippy and fun to drive.

Finally, a BMW hatchback available here
By Remsen on 12/28/07 20:55 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I can not believe that VW can make a car with this much substance and performance and sell it profitably for the $15,500 I paid. This car has a similar driving dynamic to the BMW I used to own (that's a high compliment). You look at this car from the outside and think "nice little economy car" and you drive it and think "holy cow, this is a BMW hatchback."

Down but not out
By pkwan on 12/09/07 18:56 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Found hard time and downgraded from driving Mercedes E/SLK/S to Nissans. Never happy with them. Tinny and whiny. What do I do? Eureka! Found salvation in this bunny that captures the essence of German road feel big time; cost less than Mazda 3 sport comparable equipped where I live. Yes, the engine is a bit noisy, and road noise is somewhat high, but what the heck. This is supposed to be an economy car. I never thought about VW because of the bad rep re: reliability. Regardless whether it will hold up for a few years, I am VERY happy.

Fun and Practical Ride
By VW Driver on 12/06/07 21:00 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Being a Former Mini Cooper S owner, I was looking for a car that could match the feel of the Mini’s drivability, while offering more practicality. The new 170HP engine makes a small, but noticeable increase in peppiness and allows the driver to have fun. Though the suspension has received some criticism for being soft, I feel it is pretty close to replicating the feel of the Mini; it is better than any other car I’ve driven in this class. I was very close to purchasing a Mazda 3, but the build quality feels more substantial in the VW Rabbit. While the Mazda is quoted for having the “German feel”, the VW is truly has the German feel all the way, from the steering to the engine tuning.

Nice Bunny
By VW family on 11/27/07 10:47 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought a black 4-door Rabbit for my son the other day. We now have 3 VWs and an old Audi in the family. They're great cars. This car rides well. Power is more than adequate from the 170 hp motor. It even sounds good. Handling is good. Tiptronic is the tranmission (not the engine) and the 6 sp. auto is is very nice. It even has a sport mode. This car is not nearly as sporty as my GTI, but is a better freeway car by far and is easy to drive with the auto. trans. Black looks great and there is extra tint on the windows so it looks like a mini-limo to me - very cool.

I love my rabbit
By My rabbit is BA on 11/12/07 14:45 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my rabbit. It sold itself to me on the test drive. No other car came close to that. I hit 95 mph without even noticing. Could be trouble but it's a smooth ride I haven't found a single thing to complain about yet. Only 23 mpg on first tank of gas though with lots of highway driving. I think I'm just being heavy on the gas though.

Excellent all around car
By Zandzaver on 11/11/07 12:07 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had the car for almost a month now and have loved every minute of it. The interior layout is simple, sophisticated, and functional. It is deceptively large on the inside, and very comfortable. The drive is much like an entry level sports car, smooth, quick, and tight. Fuel economy could stand to be a bit better, but then again, you gotta pay to play. Also, I've experienced better than advertised gas mileage on the highway in my car.

Practical Fun
By BunnyLuvr on 11/09/07 08:55 AM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I looked at all the small hatchbacks and the Rabbit won, hands down. Coming from another German car, a BMW 325, I appreciate the solid build - it doesn't have that tinny feel that too many of the Japanese econoboxes have. The standard features, like the ABS, DSC, etc., make the price very competitive. As far as driving experience, I would have to honestly say, this car is about 90% of the fun of my BMW for about 60% of the price.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.