Used 1997 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I'll miss my VW
By Disappointed VW fan

1997 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Wagon

I bought my VW used and I was okay with having to replace the clutch almost immediately as well as having a rod in the trunk snap which made the trunk impossible to use until I found a mechanic willing to weld the rod back together. But after 9 months of VW ownership, I'm calling it quits. I love VWs and will look for them in the future, but definitely with more skeptical eyes. Besides the normal repairs and somewhat non-normal repairs, I had an air flow sensor malfunction, and needed to replace the throttle valve because my Passat was driving itself. 3 weeks after those repairs, I either get to replace the heater core, fix a radiator problem, and replace the oxygen sensor or call it quits.

Favorite Features

The style, engine, it's reliablity between the major repairs.

Suggested Improvements

I've had my VW for 9 months and in the course of 1 month replaced the air flow sensor and the throttle valve and then found out I needed a heater core, oxygen sensor and developed a radiator problem - it should be self- explanatory what improvements I would make. But hey, the engine's still good.

VW Passat TDi
By sky

1997 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI drives well, and gets great fuel economy (50 at high altitude, 45 @ sealevel). However, this is the worst car I have ever owned in terms of non-drivetrain repairs. the quality of construction and materials are very substandard. I have experienced repeated component failures, and have had to make repeated repairs for same item. Owners of newer ones (2004-2005) have reported identical and worse complaints. this car has very shoddy materials and worksmanship. My '83 Toyota (340k miles) is more reliable than the VW ever was.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to dramatically improve its process engineering / QA, pay attention to failure mode engineering analysis and take prompt corrective action. There is no excuse for repetitive failures other than poor engineering. This is a fooled me once shame on you car.

one owner TDI
By Dave

1997 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

This car was chosen for size and mpg. Best mpg has been 56 and 36 is the lowest. Performance is suprisingly good with 1 or 2 adults in car. Add 2 more in the back seat and they will be suprised at the space, but driver needs to reconsider passing on two-lane roads. This car does hold it's speed very well on the interstate. Climbs mountains as if they are ant hills. As long as the glow plug relay gets the right signal, this car starts like a champ on sub-zero mornings.

Favorite Features

You can open the windows with the key to let the car cool off before you even open a door.

Suggested Improvements

Oil drip from intercooler - this is result of PCV running oil vapor thru turbo. My car had a persistent problem with the glow plug relay getting mixed messages on how long to lite up; usually things didn't warm up enough making for hard start

Might be the best car I've owned.
By Marc-n-Judy

1997 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car from the 1st owner, with 148,000 miles on it. Have driven it daily, with little or no trouble. Might be the best all around car I have ever owned! Waiting for VW to bring the new Passat (or Toureg) to the U.S. with diesel, plan to buy another when they do!

Favorite Features

GREAT fuel milage, first and formost! Our other household car is a 1996 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon, and the VW Passat TDI is almost as quiet & comfortable on the road. It is now the 1st choise for the road!!!

Suggested Improvements

For this platform,,,??? Maybe a few more H.P. (something like the Euro version) so I can really make life tough for the import hot rod types. But other than that, this can needs nothing!

'97 TDI
By richardb

1997 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDi 4dr Sedan

Excellent car except for recent stalling problem. Have been to dealer several times but they cannot find the problem.

Favorite Features

gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

fix the door handle problem!