Used 1996 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Ripper in disguise!
By vwlover007

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Wagon

1996 Passat B4v Wagon with 5 Speed Manual & VR6 6 Cylinder. Don't believe all these cry babies who trash a complete & awesome model car because of door handle/ lock and window regulator issues with this model..... This B4 Passat wagon is perhaps the most under car that VW ever made. This car in VR6 5 Speed form is fast ! and fun! it rips nicely and handles well too.! & The car has lots of cargo room. It looks nice!. Is very comfortable to drive. It has good AC & a nice glass two way sunroof. This car cruises nicely without effort and above 3500 rpm is a ripper! a hammer ready to throw down if need be ;) My car has excellent ABS Brakes and the front calipers and rotors are Beef SWEET!

PERFECT CAR! You can buy them for cheap and they offer excellent performance and are very awesome! on road trips to concerts and camping and carrying a bicycle and cargo. I love the VR6 5 speed power and the excellent brakes and also the stereo and ac and heat and seats and sunroof are all great!

Stop [non-permissible content removed] about door handles and start raving about super fun vr6 performance! Bilstein suspension! excellent brakes! Excellent ride and handling very fun & awesome car!!!

best engine and tranny combo
By 60buick

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Sedan

I love my passat, I bought mine with 127K miles and it has 291K now. It's roomy, comfortable, and a pleasure to drive. Has good all around visibility. True the door handles are a pain and the window regulators go, but the car has never let me down and I get about 43 mpg average. It's paying for itself. Important to find a good diesel vw mechanic as most shops haven't a clue. My goal was to keep it until 300K, but I'm going as far as I don't have to do any major engine work. It's going to be a sad day when I retire this baby

Very Reliable
By legionpk

1996 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6 4dr Sedan

this car is very reliable. the power of germany engineering. i love my 96 vw passat glx. it takes me any where. proud owner. i will keep it and drive it till it disintergrates or the tires fly off or the doors fly off

handling.......response.......power horses

LOVE IT!
By cacree

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my brother in South Dakota for $100. It had been abused, and ran without oil, so my dad and I had to completely rebuild it. After finally finishing this job, I know all about my car, and I love it. Even with it's peely paint. Best first car ever. I plan to keep it, and fix all my own problems for the rest of my life. :) Thank you Volkswagen! I love you!

I love driving a manual.

I think the cloth on the roof of the inside, the paint, and the sunroof could use some work. And it would be nice if the window motors and door handles wouldn't break so often, but those are an easy fix if you know what you're doing.

Dependable work-horse
By ca_cowgirl

1996 Volkswagen Passat TDi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my '96 TDI used with 125k miles, and it has turned out to be one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned. It now has 273k miles on the original engine. I'm quite impressed for a diesel, it's much quieter than Mercedes, does not smoke, burn oil, and it consistently gets 42-48MPG. I drove from Sacramento to Kennewick Washington on ONE TANK of diesel. Over the years, the car has began to "age", and as such, the door handles are faulty and cease up, the cup holders broke off, lid to glove box broke, and AC switch broke one really hot summer day. Other than that, this is a very comfortable driving, easy handling automobile that I will drive until the doors fall off.

Cruise control, very cool AC, easy handling, comfortable back seats, even for adults.

Door handles, door handles, door handles. Interior design and layout of cupholders and glove box.