2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
disappointed
By dbb on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Mechanically the worst car I ever owned. Nearly doubled the purchase price in repairs in 2 and a half years. Big bummer.

Fun and dependable
By jvoelzow on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Fun to drive, handles great, goes like hell.

Pretty Good Car
By roscoegas on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Very reliable car. Performance is fair, but gas mileage is only mediocre.

Problem car
By Upset on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new, and from 5000 miles on have had nothing but problems. It's been in the shop about 6 times for problems, not general auto service. I've had electrical problems galore with this car, to the point where they have replaced 4 sensors, and now finally the entire electrical cluster. The A/C broke. The power windows, and ABS system have malfunctioned. P.S. I only have 30,000 on the car.

WATCH OUT!
By bobthesnob on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

My car had a fair amount of miles on it when I purchased it so I assumed that maintenance would be a bit more expensive. Little did I know that everything on the car self-destructs at 50,000 miles. The interior is made entirely of plastic that breaks without notice (window switches, glove compartment, and arm rest compartment). Even the plastic brake light switches affiliated with the transmission release break (I've replaced FOUR in one year!)! Watch out for this car! It's been in the shop about once per month in the 14 months that I've owned it.

Poor Clutch Engineering
By srwaal on 10/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

If you had asked me last week, I would have said the Beetle is a great car. But Fri, my 2000 1.8t GLX with 26K miles broke down - burned clutch. Clutch should last (with normal driving) until 50K. I did research today and found that the 1.8t clutch is expected to only last 20K-30K. That is POOR ENGINEERING DESIGN. I can not afford to replace the clutch for $1600 (quote given) every 2 years. VWOA was no help. I've had clutches last more than 80K in past (Ford).

2000 New Beetle GLS
By ADubinLA on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Given all of the problems we've had, I still like my car. The New Beetle is great to have around town ... great styling, easy to maneuver in crowded parking lots, reasonable power. The key problems we've had, however, are with the electrical system. We've had to replace a CD harness, ignition switch, side airbag harness, among other things. I'd get another Beetle, but definitely would keep my fingers crossed about the build quality.

Goodbye to Volkswagen!
By VW........HATE IT! on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

We are nearing the end of our 3 yr lease term on a 2000 Turbo New Beetle and I couldn't be happier! This is without question the most unreliable vehicle I have owned in the last 12 years (out of 8 vehicles). I have owned 2-Chryslers, 2-Jeeps, 2-BMWs, Pontiac and now this junker...what a mistake. Problems: too many O2 sensors to count; catalytic converter; dead car (only to start mysteriously within 1 hr); gas cap cable; emergency brake cable; coolant loss (where did THIS go?); etc, etc. 2-yrs and 24K miles on the warranty...should have been a message at time of purchase: VW KNEW THIS ONE WAS A STINKER! Buy American!

Turbo fun
By Pjacuzzo on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I've had this car for 2+ years. I have had no problems what so ever! The car has been reliable and I have averaged 27.5 mpg around town. The turbo is plenty fast and reaches speeds in excess of 120 mph with ease. The after market for this vehicle is huge if you like to costumize your car. I have tuned my 1.8T for 200hp 240 tq with no problems what so ever!

Beauty!
By Leonine on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Read the other reviews, problem is crappy dealers not the car. They should be able to have them fixed the first time or so. Mine's been very reliable since 1999, only a few minor glitches. Would I buy another? I am. Two New Beetles. Love 'em!