Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Towed to Dealership Twice
By nickanna2

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased the Jetta new in December of 2011. Had several issues within the first few weeks including seals on the driver and passenger doors. The whole dashboard had to be replaced due to a loud buzzing noise. After the first winter the windscreen washer hose line froze. At first the dealership said it wouldn't be covered under warranty :). Car stalled in the middle of the road at 40,000 fuel pump failure. Starter motor failed and both rear calipers at 70,000 in addition the whole back window had to be replaced due to defroster not working. The car comes off warranty next month and I am dreading it. Would never purchase a vw again. The TDI is powerful and fun but not worth the $$$

Styling and simple dash. Great interior space in the back. Cheap to fill and good milage

Poor overall build quality better components.

Nice car, but clutch failure at 22,280 miles?!?
By jeremycarguy

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased the 2011 VW Jetta TDI with the manual 6-speed transmission in January 2011. The car had significant problems at first with stalling. After a couple of tries, the dealership replaced the air mass meter which improved it significantly. At 22,280 miles, the clutch disk disintegrated. VW claims that his was normal wear and tear. However, on a previous car (87 Volvo 740T) I got 210,000 miles on the clutch. I know how to drive a clutch. I am a former licensed master auto mechanic, this is clearly a materials failure, and VW will not stand behind their product. They have lost a good customer and somebody who had been a good advocate for VW in the past.

Excellent fuel mileage, great torque in the mid-range. Rated at 30mpg city, 42mpg hwy, I never got below 35mpg, and reached 50mpg on long road trips.

VW cut a lot of corners in order to keep the cost of the Jetta down when they introduced the new 2011 model. Most of this I knew about and was OK with (really cheap plastics in the interior, not very good noise insulation, etc.). However, it appears that at least with the manual transmission they have cut corners in the materials used, and the clutch in this application is rated for only 250 ft-lbs of torque, while the engine is rated at 240 ft-lbs. No margin for error. I'm planning on replacing the clutch with an SB model (solid flywheel) rated for 400 ft-lbs, but I'll probably sell the car as I don't now where else VW might have cut corners.

Powerful diesel car
By timm333

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Well this was my first time buying a new car, so I thought I would get what I wanted. I knew I wanted a diesel and the Jetta had all the other features that I wanted too. I bought the car on July 5th, 2011 and in the three months I have owned it I have already put 10,265 miles on it. I figured I might as well break it in while it is still on a warrenty. The engine puts out a lot of torque for its size. The 6m tranny is nice and you can get going fast pretty quick. I have only had the car up to 90mph and it handles pretty good at that speed (all though I don't drive it like that for long). I get more than the advertised 30pmg in town and have hit 50mpg on the highway.

The fuel economy.

A guage to read engine tempurature and an ACC switch on the iginition.

Luv my TDI
By partymarty

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased my TDI about three months ago, and I am extremely satisfied with all major aspects of the car; particularly the economy and performance of the Clean Diesel. However, I do have a few nitpicky quibbles: 1. There is no padding in the overhead storage compartment, so my glasses rattle when placed there. 2. I am getting used to the digital fuel gauge but I am still searching for some sort of engine temp gauge (I hate idiot lights!). 3. I am also still searching for the ACC setting on the ignition switch. 4. I wish I had adjustable lumbar supports on the front seats. 5. Why do I have to order a nav system to get optional fog lights? 6. There is a big blind spot in the left rear!

My favorite features are the snappy exterior styling, the crisp 6-speed manual tranny, the unbelievable performance and economy of the turbo diesel which seems to offer all the advantages of a diesel without most of the drawbacks (noise, smoke, odor, etc)., the capacious rear seating area, the sound and performance of the touch-screen radio, the taut handling (I like a firm ride), the lavish trim level of the TDI (I did not need to purchase any options), and the 3-yr/36K mile paid maintenance plan.

I would like to ditch the sunroof (which I rarely use) in exchange for the some or all of the items I listed previously. I feel this should be a cost-plus optional item for those who want one. The cost savings would more than make up for the paltry items which are missing.

2011 Jetta TDI 6 spd MT
By mike18040

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned my Jetta for 2 weeks and absolutely love it. I read the Edmunds review prior to purchasing and I don't agree that VW has made a cheaper car. I owned a 2006 TDI and also loved that car, but I believe the 2011 is even better. The interior is wonderfully designed and high quality compared to many other cars. The 6 spd manual is silky smooth and fun to drive. It handles like it's on rails. The fuel mileage is unbelievable for the power that you get too! The leatherette seats are of very high quality and look great. Overall, this car is worth every penny and is not cheaply built in any way. It seems like it should cost a lot more.

6 speed manual, touch screen radio, leatherette seating, fold down seats, new design, powerful diesel engine.

There are no small compartments for things like coins or sunglasses.