Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Der Wagen!
By el_matador

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Solid ride, incredibly reliable in wintry conditions. It survived Colorado winters and now South Dakota winters are nothing to "Ulrich". Manual transmission makes it fun to drive and the ESP is a great feature. Great winter car with the heated cloth seats, heater mirrors, heated wiper nozzles. Quality materials in the interior, great room on the back seat, awesome cargo area with hidden compartments on the floor. It's a little bit sluggish between 3rd and 4th gear, but it accelerates decently when merging into highways. Good mileage for its size (about 26-27 mpg). Fills up with $40 or less and lasts us for 2 weeks in city driving. Ich liebe Ulrich der Wagen.

ESP, purple and red lights on interior, solid rubber material, audio aux connection, heated cloth seats, simplicity, safety features, cargo space.

nicer tires for entry level model, could sit a bit higher off the ground, the "bib" that the new VWs have... bring back to boxy look!

I love this car!
By Ereimjh

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love the ESP which makes winter driving less scary for me: a noticeable improvement on my last car, a Sentra that performed horribly in winter weather, no matter how careful I was. It will even let you know when the tire pressure is low. Throw in heated seats, heated sideview mirrors, an outside temperature gauge and a nice, non-plasticy interior and the 2009 Jetta becomes a classier economy car. I stick with premium gas. Yeah, I know it's more expensive but it all comes out in the wash. The fuel efficiency on premium is noticeably better and I can actually accelerate up steep inclines even without putting the transmission into S. It's comfy, too. Instant comradery with other VW drivers.

ESP, apparently standard on all 2009 VW models, is great! The sensors adjust tire rotation when one wheel slips (in winter weather, for instance) and synchronizes rotation to improve traction or it will apply slight breaking pressure to the wheel if slipping when accelerating to provide stability.

I rather like the boxy look of the older Jettas from around the 03/04 model years. The shiny,silver front end makes it look a bit like a my car has a bib. The power windows seem a bit touchy, opening all the way when I only want them to open a little. a minor complaint.

Love'in my new SportWagon
By Mike

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I was really wanting something affordable, but the Rabbit's were too small and the Jetta's were a bit boring. The SportWagon was perfect because it was affordable ($20 k)and very cool and different looking. It's one of the few cars you can drive that is truly unique. The quality of the materials is amazing for such an affordable car. It's definitely not as boss as my wife's Passat (4 cylinder turbo), but for the price is fantastic. I recommend the manual transmission to avoid the slight delay on take off found in other V-dubs. This should be anyone's list who wants a beautiful, roomy, fuel efficient, fun to drive car. Nothing compares to it for the price.

The exterior design is awesome. The stereo rocks. Very, very solid feel. Runs very smooth. Steering feel is outstanding.

Cross bars on the roof rack would be cool. You can get them from the dealer however. I'm expecting a pair for my birthday actually - at least I dropped that hint several times already. No other suggestions.

Land Rover LR3 to Jetta Sport Wagon
By jeff

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Love this car. Much more fun to drive than the LR3, plus I prefer the look. My last several trips to Europe my rental cars were VWs and I always enjoyed the driving experience thru Austria and Germany. Back in the 70's I had a 59 magic bus complete with shag carpet, wood panneling, curtains and the 8 track tape player.. Also owned a 62 bug in Hawaii. Those VWs were cool!

This white Jetta Sportwagon is the appropriate image for our times. It feels right. You can have style for a good price with German engineering. Not everybody wants to go Japanese.

none so far