1999 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: Be wary

1999 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

Wolfsburg Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Be wary
By erhowe on

1999 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg 4dr Sedan

I traded in my old Accord for a used Jetta, as I was swayed by the VW hype. Have doubted this decision ever since. Within the first 11 months, check engine light came on 8 different times--signaling many major engine problems. My "new" car was in the shop over a week each of these times. Some of the problems I was told were undiagnosable--until the warrenty ran out, conveniently. A co-worker had the same car, only a '98, and he had the exact same problems with his. Make sure exhaust system is in top- shape, as I found that this is very expensive to fix.

Handling is very tight and sporty. Roomy interior is very nice. It feels like a safe, heavy car, but gas mileage is still 30 mpg.

VW Customer service. Any of their departments that I have worked with have been very rude and very sneaky. Automatic windows stop rolling up near 70,000 miles. Not at all the quality of a "German" car that I was expecting.