1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Love it
By btaylor on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this car!

don't but a volkswagan!
By migo on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

i bought a jetta about two years ago from a private owner. i had a diagnostic done and it passed with flying colors. shortly after i bought it, it needed a alternator and belt, so i took it in to get fixed. $1,000 later, i went to service my car....$900. then my transmission went out for no apparent reason...$4800!! the car is a nice car if you have money to pay for repairs and service. i learned my lesson after spending $6500 in repairs in a little less than two years; the hard way.

Not a good bet
By Mackey on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I love my Jetta BUT...It is always broken. I have had it for 30000 miles and I have replaced almost the entire ignition, not at the same time, expensive seat bolts, the thermostat, the CO2 converters, headlights, various engine parts and fans, and the trunk light will NOT work. On the good side I have a chip in it and an intake. The result is a throaty powerful car that is very responsive and a blast to drive. Its a blast to drive if you have the car though, mine was in the shop so much it felt like it was there way more than it wasn't.

Can't stop driving it
By Live2skifast on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for one reason. It was a Trek, which means it has roofracks. Then two of my buddies and I hope in it in PA and ended up in Colorado. Talk about a test drive. It as an amazing trip and the car kicked @$$ even at 12,000 ft. when we went over Loveland Pass. It's still kicking hard 3 months later, with only a new pair of tires on it.

Never again
By Sandra on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Since I bought my new 97 Jetta, i've had three oil leaks, replaced water pump, radiator, strut mounts/struts, Secondary Air Valve, wiper mechinaism, tires, washer fluid sprayer, engine light comes on, leak detection pump, fog light (which you can't replace yourself), antenna mast, starter, muffler, all belts, trunk lid alignment, tail light and ignition lock modifing. Customer support was rude and unhelpful, now ask me if I would buy another Volkswagon.

VW Farfrumworking
By Tarrytown on 05/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I will never buy another VW. My transmission went at 97000 and had a costly engine coil replacement at 85,000. After 2 years of owning the car I have replaced virtually everything. The suspension has been a nightmare and the service I have received from VW has been even worse. I have experienced numerous electrical problem, the ride stinks and with the cost of repairs I could be driving a Bentley for less. Unfortunately, it's been a big disappointment for me.

Great car, for the most part
By Not Pink on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997. Since then I have had a few quirky problems (like the driver and passenger side door locks needed repair twice. The locks also freeze in the winter. The cruise control and the trunk lock also needed repair) otherwise I have had no major mechanical problems. I think the biggest thing to watch for is the front end alignment. The car needs to be aligned quite often, which could be due to the fact that I live in Maine and the roads are terrible in the winter, but...I have been through 4 pairs of tires in 6 yrs. Overall its a great car.

I love my car....but
By Phatmal on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Trek 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in '98 and loved driving it from the get go. She has a lot of spirit and really likes to be driven on the open road. Unfortunately, she's not been a cheap car to own. Most recently (last 12 months), I've had to replace the sunroof cassette ($700), the door locks $400...they actually fell out of the car!), and the starter ($600) and had to have the vacuum system fixed ($100). Luckily I haven't been stranded anywhere! Not only that but there are little things that break in the interior that are a pain. I love driving this car and am so attached to her but I'm considering getting rid of her cause I'm afraid of what's going to break next.

car for daddy
By olly on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Cheap and easy to repair, lot of small problems - locks, airbag cable, drains but no expensive repair. engine and gearbox not killable. big fuel economy (small engine), very comfortable. The only 2 things i dont like; the exterior sound on highway and I have the impression that i have a truck engine with no power but noisy.

car for daddy
By Olly on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)