Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta-sportwagen - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

Sunroof stains this car
By monkfarm

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I did not purchase the extended warranty on this auto, and I loved it until the sunroof stuck open, tilted on one side. I went to a dealer, and they really could not see what was wrong, but estimated $2048 to fix it, the headliner needs to be dropped, of course they gave us the worst case scenario, broken frame. I barely used the sunroof, but live in the woods, on a gravel rood, and it must have stuck from the dust and the spruce needles. The sensor for the window washing fluid also broke, even though I always put antifreeze window washer fluid in it. Especially if you buy the sunroof, plan on buying the warranty, these autos are expensive to fix! I will buy a different brand next time.

Favorite Features

Economy, handling, steering are all very nice, and the sport wagon seems to have adequate power. I live in a windy road area, and love to drive, and stock, right out of the box, this car handles well. Winter tires are a must, as the stock tires are dismal. The wagon is just the right size, for my wife and I and our 4 dogs. We live out in the sticks, and we pick up most of our supplies with ease, and I have slept in the back (just long enough) confortably. I do like this auto, but the quality on the sunroof, and the sensor on the window washing container suffers (I have heard of others who the dealers blamed for the demise of this who felt they had done nothing)

Suggested Improvements

The sunroof needs to be fixed, or vw needs to offer a simple sunroof like my 06 bug has. The VW dealers' service department needs to know the meaning of the word: SERVICE. I am not one to complain, but it really seems like they are out to steal your money. (I will try a honda next). The window washer sensor went bad through no fault of mine. I would like at least 2 12 volt power outlets in the front. I run a radar detector, and an I phone, and would like to power up both. A cigar ashtray I guess is too much to ask these days, but storage, and cupholders in this is at a premium, inadequate for us Americans. The seat needs to be reinforced where you get in and out. . . More power neede

MPG
By geo02r1

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 VW sportwagon se 2.5 rather than a Nissan Frontier truck mostly for the MPG. Having owned a Toyota that had lower EPA MPG, I thought it was a good move. The car's EPA MPG is 23 city/31 Hwy. I expected 25-26 combined. I'm getting 18-19 driving conservatively. I went to the dealer thinking there was something wrong and was told it's fine. I contacted VW Corp. and was told it's the way I drive. WARNING VOLKSWAGON MPG IS FALSE !!!!!! I WISH I NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGON

Favorite Features

The car is fine, drives well (under powered with only 170 hp), handles well and has nice amenities.

Suggested Improvements

Stop lying about the EPA MPG !

Perfect balance of performance, ecomony, and practicality!
By bjudd4

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I took delivery of my '12 JSW TDI in Dec. 2011, and have put over 17k miles on it in less than a year! My other vehicle is a '07 VW GTI and although the TDI of course does not match it's performance, I have to say that as an automotive enthusiast I still very much enjoy driving the TDI with its generous amounts of torque. Driving it as I would drive any normal car (a little lead-footed...) I still consistently see 42mpg without a problem, and 45mpg+ if I am driving economy-minded. Had no prob starting in below zero temps in NY winter. My wife and I recently had a baby, and the car seat fits in the rear without a problem, and there is plenty of cargo room for luggage, stroller, etc.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission(!), panoramic moonroof, navigation system, keyless start/entry, torque, and of course fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

An AWD version (with the TDI and a manual trans.) would be nice for the Central New York winters, though I did just fine last winter with snow tires.

2nd TDI I own: Spirited Driver!
By monkfarm

Wonderful car! This wonderful car has it all: great braking, comfortable seats in front, great handling, adequate power, smooth shifting, great fuel economy. This car is fun to drive, it accommodates my leadfoot with great fuel economy (usually 41 with mixed city hwy with air conditioning, wife: 44.) I don't feel bad about cruising the speed I want to drive because I'm not putting that much fuel in it. We have 3 dogs, and with luggage is fairly comfortable for long trips (210 miles to my folks.) The exterior design has grown on me. The back folds down into a smooth platform which the dogs love, and I carry supplies to my country home with ease. I love it!! 10,000 miles on it so far.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission and clutch are good. Fuel economy, handling, braking, steering is all really quite good. I love to drive, and I enjoy driving this one. I am loving it more Handling is not up to par with my friend's Mini Cooper Clubman S, but so much better than my old HHR LT. I can fling this car into a corner with confidence and competence, and come to a stop quickly to avoid a deer. Wonderful amount of room with the seats folded down. This car's interior is built better than my 2006 diesel beetle. I love this car more as I drive it.

Suggested Improvements

Uncomfortable seats in Rear, lack of enough cupholders especially in front and placement of cupholders makes you want to glance down especially when selecting the rear one, wants to go in 4th gear from 5th when shifting up, lack of ashtray for my cigars, not enough storage compartments, different center console layout for storage, staid dash design, (lack of) adjustable head rests, larger glove box, center dash storage (like the HHR I had) more electric adjustments on the seats, greater tilt on steering wheel, better tires for handling, lack of fog lamps, and I seem to be damaging the seat slightly around my waist level by how I climb in the car. (solution?? I don't know)

Dieses Auto ist gro▀
By etaggart

I've had my TDI Sportwagen for about 3 months now. I went from a large SUV (Durango) to this wagon. I LOVE IT. I have owned SAABs in the past and appreciate the european feel to the interior. The Panoramic sunroof is AWESOME. Love the torque and power of the TDI and the DSG transmission is great. The DSG does take a bit to get used to and I can understand why the previous reviewer complained. The DSG "downshifts" when you are coming to a light much like you might in a manual. The "bucking" can be experienced when the engine is cold (1-2 min) and you hover your throttle between giving it fuel and not.. However, once you realize what the deal is you can avoid that situation totally!

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

More rear seat legroom. Thicker sheet Metal. Driving lights as standard.