Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

way better milage than expected
By joseph humphrey

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is a follow up review. I've owned this car for a somewhat over a month now. I mostly want to report on fuel economy. One of the big knocks on the 2.5L motor is that it is thirsty for it's class. The first tank I calculated I got 24mpg in 70/30 city/highway. Which is the EPA estimate for city. This was driving in full manual mode on the auto and let's say..."spirited" driving. 2nd tank I put in regular drive mode and with same commute & little tamer driving, I got 28. Last tank, with no hypermiling, just no full throttle sprints and driving speed limit I got almost 29mpg. Pretty impressive.

My only complaint is the audio system is pretty lame. It lacks the modern features like bluetooth, etc, though I really don't care. My beef is it sounds a bit harsh in the midrange even at moderate volumes. Oh well, it is a base model. If I gave it a knock on ride comfort, this car has factory upgrade 18" wheels. The low profile tires definitely help with handling, but do increase noise and cabin impact. If you want a cushy ride...stick with higher profile tires. I like the trade off myself.

This might be one of the best 'do it all cars' out there for a very reasonable sum. Looks good, above average interior quality, supurb front seat comfort, sporty handling and fairly quick when pushed. Overall, favorite car I've ever driven, and there's been a few. Accords, BMW3's, Audi A4s among them. Sure some of them were better at some things, but not as good in total.

Don't understand why anyone who needs utility and doesn't go off road would choose an SUV or even worse...IMHO a crossover.

So far no reliability issues in 1K mi. I realize that with German cars you have to be pretty fastidious with following maintenance. They are not 'drive and forget'.

poor man's audi
By joseph humphrey

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just picked this up from the dealer. Dunno anything about reliability or milage yet. But this car exceeds my high expectations. In fact I expected so much I bought it without ever driving one. Sounds crazy, but the first time I ever drove one was one the trip home from the dealer. Handling was much better than I expected. The pro review says not sports car like but nimble. Well I used to drive a BMW 325CSi with sport suspension and on a twisty road I tried, this doesn't give up a lot, even with all season tires. Sure a little body roll, but at the expense of comfort. Honestly the roll was less than expected. I thought going in I'd want to upgrade suspension. It does have upgrade 18" wheels. A lot of carping on the net about the 2.5L with the tiptronic tranny, but for an old guy like me it's quite adequate with the tranny in sport mode anyway. I wanted a wagon. I hate SUV's and Crossovers, but I have a lot of stuff to haul for my business. And there's really no other choice. I can't afford BMW, MB or Volvo. Suburb insist on making theirs look like a fake SUV and their interiors are junky looking. The fit, finish and interior quality of the car is first rate. The seats comfort is superb. Buying experience was first rate too. Dealer was actually a pleasure to work with and gave me the first deal if ever felt good about.

VW rep may be tarnished due to the TDI scandal, but they really do produce unique and quality products. I really think is an Audi the working stiff can afford. Now if it only holds up..........

Well after 6 months, not a single problem. While the 2.5L engine is adequate, I do wish VW offered the 2.0 Turbo. However this does have plenty of midrange torque and the mileage is better than expected. If I drive sensible I can get nearly 29mpg in mixed city/hwy. I still can't believe how well it handles., but not one to leave well enough alone, I have ordered VW factory sport springs and Koni Sport shocks. I think the best thing I can say about it, is if it were wrecked or stolen, I'd immediately get another.

If I had to nit pick on one thing, the sound system is not all that great, but it is a base model car.

First Diesel - 3rd VW
By a.j. minhas

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

About 3.5 years back, we bought our first VW, a gas-powered 2007 VW Passat Sportwagen. We loved it for it's roominess, the performance and handling. This was mid-size vehicle with a 2.0L Turbo coupled to a sprightly 6 speed sports automatic transmission. The car flew. Last year, I purchased a 2012 Golf 5 door hatchback to replace a 2006 Murano SUV, which didn't get that great a fuel mileage, but was very roomy and comfortable. I traded some of that comfort for 30+ mpg on the hgwy in my Golf. Our latest addition this April 2015 was a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0 TDI, on which we traded in our Passat Wagon. This TDI is phenomenal. On a recent 900 mile trip up North for a reunion, we were consistently getting over 40 mpg and we went 500 miles, with fuel to spare, between fuel stops. We drove non-stop 870 miles on the 12.5 hour trip back home to Florida. This is a very impressive car. In a few years, I am going to be getting a Golf TDI Sportwagen after I give my 2012 Golf Hatchback to my daughter when she gets her drivers license. I am sold on VW and I love the TDIs.

Sunroof stains this car
By monkfarm

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I did not purchase the extended warranty on this auto, and I loved it until the sunroof stuck open, tilted on one side. I went to a dealer, and they really could not see what was wrong, but estimated $2048 to fix it, the headliner needs to be dropped, of course they gave us the worst case scenario, broken frame. I barely used the sunroof, but live in the woods, on a gravel rood, and it must have stuck from the dust and the spruce needles. The sensor for the window washing fluid also broke, even though I always put antifreeze window washer fluid in it. Especially if you buy the sunroof, plan on buying the warranty, these autos are expensive to fix! I will buy a different brand next time.

Economy, handling, steering are all very nice, and the sport wagon seems to have adequate power. I live in a windy road area, and love to drive, and stock, right out of the box, this car handles well. Winter tires are a must, as the stock tires are dismal. The wagon is just the right size, for my wife and I and our 4 dogs. We live out in the sticks, and we pick up most of our supplies with ease, and I have slept in the back (just long enough) confortably. I do like this auto, but the quality on the sunroof, and the sensor on the window washing container suffers (I have heard of others who the dealers blamed for the demise of this who felt they had done nothing)

The sunroof needs to be fixed, or vw needs to offer a simple sunroof like my 06 bug has. The VW dealers' service department needs to know the meaning of the word: SERVICE. I am not one to complain, but it really seems like they are out to steal your money. (I will try a honda next). The window washer sensor went bad through no fault of mine. I would like at least 2 12 volt power outlets in the front. I run a radar detector, and an I phone, and would like to power up both. A cigar ashtray I guess is too much to ask these days, but storage, and cupholders in this is at a premium, inadequate for us Americans. The seat needs to be reinforced where you get in and out. . . More power neede

MPG
By geo02r1

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 VW sportwagon se 2.5 rather than a Nissan Frontier truck mostly for the MPG.
Having owned a Toyota that had lower EPA MPG, I thought it was a good move. The car's EPA MPG is 23 city/31 Hwy. I expected 25-26 combined.
I'm getting 18-19 driving conservatively. I went to the dealer thinking there was something wrong and was told it's fine. I contacted VW Corp. and was told it's the way I drive.
WARNING VOLKSWAGON MPG IS FALSE !!!!!!
I WISH I NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGON

The car is fine, drives well (under powered with only 170 hp), handles well and has nice amenities.

Stop lying about the EPA MPG !