Used 1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Fun For a Big Guy
By 1995Golf

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought is car to run errands and bang around in saving my primary vehicle from those lovely people who ding your doors and scrap your bumpers. I wanted something very small but big enough for me to fit in. Well this car is small , fun to drive around the city and as for me ,a 6 foot guy, I got 6 inches of head room. It is like my own little street legal Go-Kart. Now I want a new one!!!

Favorite Features

Interior room, small foot print, good on gas. Ahead of its time in 1995

Suggested Improvements

A Glove box (there is a safety knee crash pad there)

think it is great
By Hans

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

I am the third owner of my 95 golf lll gl when I got the car it had 165,000 miles on it ... I have had it now 4 yrs and put about 80k miles on it myself. Yes I have had some Major repairs, but considering the shape I got it in, really was BASIC maintenance. It has its quarks, and in time you learn to "love" them ... Wish I was able to get the car new instead of being the third owner ... I would with out doubt recommend this model and yr to any one looking for a car - even used!

Favorite Features

never have to worry about getting someplace or breaking down

Suggested Improvements

a 6th gear, instrument cluster that does not fail

Volkswagen Does not Dissapoint!
By Gutsy

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

I have had this car for four and a half years and I can safely say that it has not disappointed. The interior is spacious and can comfortably seat four male adults. I'm an average sized guy (5'9'', 165 lbs.) and I can sit in the car on a long ride with no problems. The City does not have too many options, so if you're looking for more creature comforts, I'd suggest the GLS or GLX models. The 8V motor provides plenty of power in second and third gear. Its gas mileage is great and as long as you keep up with routine maintenance, the cost to keep it running top notch is virtually zero! I replaced the head gasket at 108,000 miles and tossed some other mods onto it, and it's been great.

Favorite Features

The car is a blast to drive! It may not hang with the VR6 on a straight run, but when you get into the curved areas, this car really shines. I have modified the suspension, upgraded the tires and done a few other small things, and this thing rips on back roads!

Suggested Improvements

The ABA 8V motor is a little sluggish when you consider how much large the MKIII Volkswagens were. A VR6 in the 4-door Golf would have been nice, but hey, toss on some bolt-ons and you can hang with the six cylinder crowd.

It's a Great VW
By Don

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Celebration 4dr Hatchback

When I bought my VW I was looking for a car I could drive 365 days a year, as my Mustang GT could not be driven safely in snow. I did not know what type of vehicle I wanted, as I buy new and run them as long as economically and practically possible. 130,000+ miles later I'm still happy with it. It's well built, nice to drive and has had better than average maintenance costs. Although it's getting time for a new vehicle, when I do trade it in or sell it I will always remember it as a great car.

Favorite Features

The interior set-up.

Suggested Improvements

The door locks freeze during rain and below freezing temperatures.

bad choice
By lewis carter

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

this cars body side moldings fell off twice.shocks are very bad.ac system went out and my engine just blew out of nowhere.this is the worst car i've ever had.i will not even drive another if i was a race car driver and vw sponsered me!

Favorite Features

gas

Suggested Improvements

body moldings ,engine,brakes, ac,clutch,paint,lights