1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Fun For a Big Guy
By 1995Golf on 10/10/09 12:38 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

I bought is car to run errands and bang around in saving my primary vehicle from those lovely people who ding your doors and scrap your bumpers. I wanted something very small but big enough for me to fit in. Well this car is small , fun to drive around the city and as for me ,a 6 foot guy, I got 6 inches of head room. It is like my own little street legal Go-Kart. Now I want a new one!!!

think it is great
By Hans on 11/07/08 05:58 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

I am the third owner of my 95 golf lll gl when I got the car it had 165,000 miles on it ... I have had it now 4 yrs and put about 80k miles on it myself. Yes I have had some Major repairs, but considering the shape I got it in, really was BASIC maintenance. It has its quarks, and in time you learn to "love" them ... Wish I was able to get the car new instead of being the third owner ... I would with out doubt recommend this model and yr to any one looking for a car - even used!

Volkswagen Does not Dissapoint!
By Gutsy on 01/29/07 09:44 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

I have had this car for four and a half years and I can safely say that it has not disappointed. The interior is spacious and can comfortably seat four male adults. I'm an average sized guy (5'9'', 165 lbs.) and I can sit in the car on a long ride with no problems. The City does not have too many options, so if you're looking for more creature comforts, I'd suggest the GLS or GLX models. The 8V motor provides plenty of power in second and third gear. Its gas mileage is great and as long as you keep up with routine maintenance, the cost to keep it running top notch is virtually zero! I replaced the head gasket at 108,000 miles and tossed some other mods onto it, and it's been great.

It's a Great VW
By Don on 01/01/07 13:53 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Celebration 4dr Hatchback

When I bought my VW I was looking for a car I could drive 365 days a year, as my Mustang GT could not be driven safely in snow. I did not know what type of vehicle I wanted, as I buy new and run them as long as economically and practically possible. 130,000+ miles later I'm still happy with it. It's well built, nice to drive and has had better than average maintenance costs. Although it's getting time for a new vehicle, when I do trade it in or sell it I will always remember it as a great car.

bad choice
By lewis carter on 10/21/06 14:39 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

this cars body side moldings fell off twice.shocks are very bad.ac system went out and my engine just blew out of nowhere.this is the worst car i've ever had.i will not even drive another if i was a race car driver and vw sponsered me!

Hot
By Chris Dupuis on 08/11/06 20:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

I just bought this car and I love it! I have always wanted a Golf, and now I have one. It needs LOTS of work, but it is still the best car I've ever had, including my Jetta.

Golf III Sport -- A sweet little car!
By Melissa Stevens on 03/06/06 13:17 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback

I love this little car, and it will break my heart to part with it. It is still fun to drive after owning it for almost eleven years! I know Consumer Reports has little good to say about VWs and reliability, but I happened to have gotten a good one. It has only left me high and dry once -- and that was when the starter fried itself right in my driveway. Other than that, it has been a good friend and to this day I still get compliments on its good looks. Mechanics don't mind working on it, either. Things are where they should be!

A So-So Car
By Henry on 07/28/05 11:42 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback

Bought it when it had 23K on the odometer. Major repairs: emission sytem (ouch!) and coolant leak. Other than these, just maintenance and minor fixes. Quite fun to drive, but not a powerful car. Still running on the original Bosch battery! Seats are awful...no lumbar support.

My 95 flash red golf sport
By nads on 11/06/04 15:03 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Sport 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my 1995 Golf Sport since purchase in July 1995. It has been a fun car and it has always turned heads for styling esp in the flash red color. For a Volkswagon it has been remarkably reliable. Only non wear and tear repairs were a windshield water leak (easily fixed) and the muffler system had to be replaced after 5 years (ugh) Otherwise just brakes, tires and oil/ changes. currently 67k miles.

reliable, gas efficient, swift
By ben lindsley on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback City 4dr Hatchback

i have had only good experiences with this vehicle in gas, cost of repairs, and number of repairs. It is definitely a highway car as it does 80 mph like a breeze, and has good pick up at high speeds.