Used 2008 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tundra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Toyota "Blunder" Limited
By Toyota Blunder

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned most light trucks over the last 25 years. This by far disappoints in most categories. The ride is harsh and poorly dampened, the radio, though upgraded could not keep a station. The integrated phone system, though great in concept worked when it wanted to. The steering is vague, the transmission needs improvement. 6 spd. sounds good until you put it to the test. Coming to a stop it was evident that you could experience each speed back to 1st. 6th gear is like the old 3sp. stick if you shifted too quickly the vehicle sounded as if it were lagging... same for the Tundra. The interior: plastic. I have bought a new Avalanche, top of the line for less money... fabulous

Favorite Features

Great brakes. needed to improve them after old design. What took so long? Great interior storage. Solid, no rattles. The gas pedal is too sensitive for this overly powerful truck.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough room here. This truck is so mismatched, how bout something to look at. Standard suspension is horrible. How about some sound insulation from the harsh engine and drivetrain... this truck is not quiet. Start at square one.

Tundra Crew Max SR5
By Frank Aparo

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Good truck I have had Chevrolet / Dodge this my first Toyota. Great engine I have got 21 MPG with the big engine key is to use the cruise and leave it at 70 MPH. I also use either Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic which helps a little. I wish Toyota had the compass in the SR5 package. Visibility is the worst of any truck I have had big blind spots could be fixed with split mirrors, but I did not want the towing mirrors. I bought the CrewMax for the rear leg room it is by far the biggest rear seat room cab. I am amazed that to change the oil the skid plate must be removed. I work for an automotive supplier and we supply all of the big 3 and transplants Toyota has the toughest specs.

Favorite Features

CrewMax rear seat room

Suggested Improvements

Compass on the SR5 package, better visibility with windows that are lower in the side panels for better site lines when passing. Oil filter access panel

Nearly Perfect Truck
By sfb452

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I have almost 14k on the truck and I am more than impressed. I am very demanding of my vehicles and have no tolerance for rattles, design flaws, quality, etc. No disappointments with this truck so far. I have driven the truck in rain, snow and ice. Rarely need 4WD to get around even in the worst conditions. Tons of power, excellent transmission & brakes. Averaging 17.1 combined mpg on new AT tires. Tows like a diesel. Amazingly quite and solid road manners. Unbelievable amount of room in front and rear seats. All of the gadgets (bluetooth, rear camera, nav) work perfectly. I have purchased over a dozen new trucks (all brands gas and diesel). So far, the best truck I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Powerful, smooth engine. Excellent transmission and brakes. I do not know how I lived without the rear camera or bluetooth. Sunroof and power rear window have also been a pleasure. Tons of room in cab and storage areas throughout the cabin. Incredibly quiet on rough roads and in high winds.

Suggested Improvements

I had one minor dash rattle but fixed in about 5 minutes myself. Stock tires are horrible on anything but dry pavement. Gas gauge is way off. Headroom is tight with SR if over 6'. Homelink buttons do not light up. IPod integration? Paint seems a little less durable. Tailgate feels underbuilt.

Tundra Offroad??
By Dashboard

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Do not buy if you farm, ranch, backroad, camp, hunt, drive in snow, ice or mud. My 2000 TRD Tundra was a dream. I live in Colorado high country & drive in all the worst conditions & environments list above. The truck is a city or highway vehicle. No front tire chains. Clearance too low. Also; if you wear a shoe or boot size larger than Japanese size 8 watch out for the driver-side floor heater duct. My muddy boots (size 12) kept hitting the duct when I applied the brakes. The bed is to high for side access without a step stool.

Favorite Features

The bed light can be shut off or on.

Suggested Improvements

Higher driver-side heat duct. Lower bed sides. More clearance. I lost my trailer light port on the first creek bed I crossed. Chain capable on both tires.

My Toyota
By Mike

2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We have a Travel Trailer - about 6,800LBS and do some serious hills Santa Cruz Mountians and such. The ride is very nice - lots of power on demand. I have to say my Jayco G2 - if not for my rear view its like its not behind me. The NAV and Radio are a little bit of a reach. The seats could use more of a wrap around lumbar support. Other then that - I really love the truck. I have every option you can get!

Favorite Features

Like the rear window opening. Also the seats (have the tan leather) very clean finish easy to use. Bluetooth for the phone. The radio rocks! The sonar alarms are nice as well.

Suggested Improvements

Like the seats to have more of a wrap around the sides in the lower lumbar. Also - they could go down lower they seem to sit rather high even if you adjust them down. Also like to see something like On-Star.