Still going
By GJ on
1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB
I have owned this truck for nearly eleven years. I have had to replace the starter and the catalytic converter. Just replaced the shocks, struts and front brake pads yesterday. The AC is still strong and overall the vehicle runs great. Mainly, I have only had to do the regular maintenance. It has only been back to the dealer once to replace a faulty sensor in the first few months that I owned it. I bought this because of Toyota's reputation and have not been disappointed in any way.
Favorite Features
Durability and reliability.
By gj56
on 12/11/10 11:52 AM (PST)

I could have written an identical review as this one including having a sensor replaced when it was a few months old. I put 199,000 miles on mine then it was destroyed in an offset collision with a Dodge Dakota. Considering the impact speed (around 100 mph), it held up pretty well. The drivers side front fender was imbedded in the front end of the Dakota, the drivers door was punched in several inches, the cab was knocked sideways several inches and the floor on the left side came up a few inches. Other than a banged up left arm, my son (the driver) jumped out of the accident unscathed. This vehicle has been so reliable that I would not have hesitated to jump in it and drive to the west coast and back even with the "excessive" mileage. I will miss the old girl but would not hesitate to buy another one just like it.