Used 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Great Family Car, Now With More Interior Room
By johnfixesstuff

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We upgraded from a 2003 to a 2004 Toyota Sienna and there is a BIG difference. The vehicle is like 6" wider and longer and it is so nice. We were not able to put a rear-facing car seat in the second row of captains chairs in our 2003 but the 2004 fits it nicely and my wife and I are both over 6' tall. The stowable rear seat is very nice too. The gas mileage is right around 20 mpg which could be better. It has plenty of power though and the ride is nice.

The rear DVD entertainment center, the leather seats, the built-in window shades, stowable rear seat, low floor in the tail end, space!

The sliding doors on the side have cables that wear out after about 10 years--I had to replace one of mine already and the other one is due. It's a really expensive repair if you don't do it myself. I wrote up the repair on my blog if you're interested. The DVD player won't show a picture if you shut off the van in the middle of playing a show when you turn the van back on. I've written up how to get around that on my blog as well.

Extremely Happy after 10+ Years
By sf_sienna

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2004 model in the summer of 2003 and now have 123K miles on it. Nearly flawless reliability with very minimal maintenance and repairs. The only issue we've run into has been the fairly common power door cable break. We had a lot of warning (noises, clunky operation) and had it inspected and were told it would cost $1600 to fix. We let it go and now the door is manual operation only. No big deal, we got over 10 years of use out of it while the kids were young. Other than this we've changed the timing belt, spark plugs, and front brake pads (@50K and @100K) plus the usual maintenance items such as oil, filters and tires. Each set of tires has gone between 32K and 38K miles.

Comfortable seats, I can drive 10 hrs without feeling tired. Great visibility. Smooth ride. Interior space, hauling capacity (interior, exterior). Quietness. Just the overall excellent ride that allows for enjoyable car trips. So much better than cramped little sedans, even full-size cars are no match for this minivan in terms of comfort.

I'd love to get better gas mileage. We get 20 mpg combined and our driving is more city than hwy. We used to get 26 mpg hwy (long trips) but in the past few years it's been closer to 24 mpg. With a van this size/weight you can't expect much more. New models are getting about the same so there hasn't been much improvement in 10+ years. I'd like to see a Hybrid Sienna!

Great Reliable Van
By scabledog

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I once said I would never buy anything but a Ford or Chevy, but I am a Toyota believer now. Bought this van new in 2004 and it now has 175,000 miles on it with very little problems to speak of. Just routine maintenance for the most part. The dash did start to crack in the center at 100K and the radiator leaks a bit, but considering the mileage I cannot complain. I think this year I will replace the radiator finally, but still not terrible at 175K. Only other issue I had at about 155K was a front wheel bearing went bad. You know they are bad when you rumble down the road. Still a ton of mileage without major repair costs so really cannot complain!! Would definitely buy another Toyota!

Comfortable ride and low maintenance costs. This vehicle was expensive amongst other van models, but it has not disappointed me and the extra money was well worth it.

Could be a little easier on tires. If you get the softer tires for the better ride as recommended they get eaten up within 40K. The harder tires last the longest, but make the ride a bit stiffer. Sill not terrible overall...

Still Strong at 100K
By joepawlicki

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My family has owned this car almost 10 years and its been an absolute champ. Other than routine maintenance and a few recalls, we've had to do a thing. Its been to and from mountains hauling kayaks, filled with dry wall and tools, and has been the primary delivery vehicle for our cake business. The drivers sliding door doesn't open automatically anymore but to be honest, I cant complain given the amount of use it has gotten. This would be a great used car to purchase.

Power train is smooth and responsive. Ride quality is comfortable and quiet. Interior quality is top notch.

They did really well with the design of this car. No complaints.

2004 Sienna XLE at 180,000
By jnykodym

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This minivan still rides like a cloud. Relatively minor repairs and maintenance: new timing belt at 120,000 and a warranty replacement of the rear gate lift pistons. I will never go back to a small car. At 180,000 miles it runs like new. Very very very happy. I expect to get at least 300,000 out of this van, very comfortably.

Acceleration and handling are great for a van. The turning radius is very tight. The climate control is very effective and the entertainment system is great.