2004 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:
Great Family Car, Now With More Interior Room
By johnfixesstuff on 03/20/14 08:41 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We upgraded from a 2003 to a 2004 Toyota Sienna and there is a BIG difference. The vehicle is like 6" wider and longer and it is so nice. We were not able to put a rear-facing car seat in the second row of captains chairs in our 2003 but the 2004 fits it nicely and my wife and I are both over 6' tall. The stowable rear seat is very nice too. The gas mileage is right around 20 mpg which could be better. It has plenty of power though and the ride is nice.

Extremely Happy after 10+ Years
By sf_sienna on 02/11/14 15:34 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2004 model in the summer of 2003 and now have 123K miles on it. Nearly flawless reliability with very minimal maintenance and repairs. The only issue we've run into has been the fairly common power door cable break. We had a lot of warning (noises, clunky operation) and had it inspected and were told it would cost $1600 to fix. We let it go and now the door is manual operation only. No big deal, we got over 10 years of use out of it while the kids were young. Other than this we've changed the timing belt, spark plugs, and front brake pads (@50K and @100K) plus the usual maintenance items such as oil, filters and tires. Each set of tires has gone between 32K and 38K miles.

Great Reliable Van
By scabledog on 01/27/14 19:37 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I once said I would never buy anything but a Ford or Chevy, but I am a Toyota believer now. Bought this van new in 2004 and it now has 175,000 miles on it with very little problems to speak of. Just routine maintenance for the most part. The dash did start to crack in the center at 100K and the radiator leaks a bit, but considering the mileage I cannot complain. I think this year I will replace the radiator finally, but still not terrible at 175K. Only other issue I had at about 155K was a front wheel bearing went bad. You know they are bad when you rumble down the road. Still a ton of mileage without major repair costs so really cannot complain!! Would definitely buy another Toyota!

Still Strong at 100K
By joepawlicki on 07/15/13 05:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My family has owned this car almost 10 years and its been an absolute champ. Other than routine maintenance and a few recalls, we've had to do a thing. Its been to and from mountains hauling kayaks, filled with dry wall and tools, and has been the primary delivery vehicle for our cake business. The drivers sliding door doesn't open automatically anymore but to be honest, I cant complain given the amount of use it has gotten. This would be a great used car to purchase.

2004 Sienna XLE at 180,000
By jnykodym on 12/13/12 16:41 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This minivan still rides like a cloud. Relatively minor repairs and maintenance: new timing belt at 120,000 and a warranty replacement of the rear gate lift pistons. I will never go back to a small car. At 180,000 miles it runs like new. Very very very happy. I expect to get at least 300,000 out of this van, very comfortably.

Luv it
By James Colbert on 03/13/10 10:27 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We love this van. My wife especially likes. She is short and finds it easy to enter and electrically adjust the drivers seat. She used to pick up grand kids after school and it was very good for that. It parks easily with it's short turning radius. My only complaint is that it seems to wear tires and front brakes more rapid that I think it should. Probably because of the front wheel drive and weight of the van. I would buy another in a heart beat as I would any other Toyota.

Loved It Until Doors Malfunctioned
By DadOf4 on 11/12/09 09:10 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We loved this van until the sliding power doors started giving trouble. The driver side door cable became frayed (at 65K miles) and is on the verge of breaking. After getting a quote of about $1200+ to fix it, we just stopped using the door. Now the passenger side is making popping sounds and it might go soon. We will eventually just use the doors in manual mode. This seems to be a design flaw that troubles a lot of owners. We have always been a Toyota family, but may now consider other brands.

115,000 and No Repairs
By John Z on 03/06/09 18:13 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Have had this close to 5 years and have only changed oil, tires, and brakes at 100,000. I will admit that the OE tires gave way at 40,000 but have had good luck since (60k on the replacements). We don't baby ours--kid hauler, client hauler, material hauler (I'm in construction so this has seen it's share of tools and lumber). Only complaint is getting used to the blind spot in the mirrors, but that could be driver error. 23 mpg with suburban/highway, you have to remember to keep your foot out of it to get good gas mileage. This, with my other Toyotas (Truck, Camry) keeps me a raving fan.

A mixed opinion...
By Leafie on 08/18/08 21:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Beautiful ride. Crappy tires. On my fourth set. Needed them at 18000 39000 60000 and I know I will be ready for new ones soon. Brakes and calipers went in less than 2 years. Couldn't get in with Toyota, got in somewhere else and they wouldn't warranty it. Had 2 radiators, both under warranty. Driver and passenger doors stick and won't open sometimes. God awful sound coming from front tire, like a rotation sound. Got belts replaced for serpentine and squeal really bad. I love the ride and the comfort, but the little stuff kills you. Happy with the ride for the most part. Tires were huge issue. People who design them blame Toyota and Toyota doesn't do anything about it

Everlasting Toyota
By Alexander Fabian on 06/11/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

84,000 miles and counting. This has been a great car. So far (knock on wood) we've had no problems at all and no unscheduled repairs. INCREDIBLE!! Some cars can hardly make it that far. Although, wear and tear is definitely apparent. It's much louder (engine, road noise, and wind noise), rougher, and slower than when it was newer. Toyota has sent home a few recalls, including a rear seat belt and the power lift gate. The middle seats don't recline! That's probably the worst part about the car. We had a 91 dodge caravan and those seats were more comfortable. Heated seats are awesome. Leather has hardly worn. Overall a great family car with more than plenty room for seven and tons of stuff.