Used 2002 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Passenger Door & Sliding Door Problems
By homemakerdad

2002 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Passenger side door not responsive to remote or automatic features. The right sliding door just completely jammed yesterday. Earlier this year, the right side sliding door just closed on its own and trapped a passenger's finger. Earlier this month, had at least a couple of friends ask us what mini-van they purchase and we recommended the Sienna. Now I really regret making that recommendation after having these door problems and finding out this has been a common problem with this model.

Favorite Features

Used to be the reliability and quality associated with the Toyota name. Right now, the only feature I could think of, is that it is just spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota needs to fix the door and sliding door issues. This is a real safety hazard! I have informed Toyota of this matter and have yet to hear from them.

Toyota let me down on this one
By Helene Schreiner

2002 Toyota Sienna XLE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Loved the vehicle which I purchased with 40,000 miles. Drives smoothly like my former Camry...love all the extra room. However, at 60,000 miles I have put in almost $3000 plus in maintenance. Had the car checked for a long 12 hr drive...brakes squeeked horribly...needed rear brake maintenance and also found a leak in trans. Hit the road next day and car bucked and shook...back to Toyotal...blew a cylinder and brakes locked up....lost my confidence in this car. This is something that should not have happened at 60,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Captain chairs....

Suggested Improvements

pulled arm muscle trying to close rear door. That shd have been an automatic door...why couldn't they think of that in 2002?

After 5 years, some issues
By robro

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This van is really dull first of all. Design is dull, driving it is dull, nothing stands out. Here are a few gripes: 1. Known issue - engine will not start if the IAC valve is dirty. 2. Rear brakes squeal. It was covered by warranty, and they issued some tsb, but how are we supposed to keep up with these private tsb tickets? 3. Turn radius stinks. Three point turns, I am beginning to hate them. Just for this alone, I might switch to a honda odyssey, used!

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

See my main comments.

What Toyota Reliability?!
By Sara

2002 Toyota Sienna LE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Toyota LE because of the reliability ratings. What a joke.Our van developed a brake squeal almost immediately after purchasing. Van pulls to the right or left at 60 mph. Engine has 66,000 miles and is sludged and needs $2000 in repairs. After researching we found out that the brakes, engine sludge and pulling are Toyota factory flaws and Toyota has numerous lawsuits pending against them. Wish we known before purchasing, we would have bought an Odyssey!

Favorite Features

smooth handling, quite ride, awesome interior layout.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage! For such a light van, we get poor mileage, my husband's 4x4 gets better mileage. Reliability, after regular maintenance, engine shouldn't sludge!

RELIABILITY???
By tbk

2002 Toyota Sienna CE 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Sienna brand new in 2001. A very expensive mistake. Paid thousands more for "legendary" reliability only to find it contains many biodegradeable parts. Oxygen sensors, lower control arms, pads, rotors, drums, even dash lights all needed replacement or servicing within 6 weeks of warranty ending (with only 25000 miles on the vehicle). No help from Toyota... even wanted $75 for a dashboard light bulb! Was told there was no fix for brake noise in Sienna's, "they just do that". Nearly $2000 in repairs to fix everything to try to sell and then the dealer (inspecting the Sienna prior to my selling) told a prospective buyer the brakes squeal because they were aftermarket! Now that's rich!

Favorite Features

Very smooth driveability. More carlike than any other minivan except for maybe Honda. Highest head rest adjustability for tall driver safety. (main reason we didn't buy Honda in the first place!)

Suggested Improvements

1.Having seats with LATCH but no tether anchors and then other seats with tehter anchors but no LATCH makes no sense! 2.A little compassion from Toyota for low mileage "just out of warranty" vehicles would go a long way towards customer retention. 3. Seats are way too soft 4.Huge turning circle!