2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Review: Fun and practical

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

XR Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun and practical
By Matrix Reloaded on

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car handles well and with the 5 speed manual has plenty of pep - it's a pleasure to drive. I really love the exterior styling. We have the XR in white and it looks really sharp. The car is very practical for light hauling jobs. With the hatchback access and rear seats folded flat it can carry a surprisingly large amount of cargo. I am getting about 30 mpg overall, not bad but I'm hoping for a bit better once it's fully broken in. I expect Toyota reliability (this is our 4th Toyota). Getting one configured the way we wanted it was frustrating, but worth the wait (see improvements).

Sunroof, sporty placement of manual transmission in dash, rear set legroom, hatchback and load-carrying capacity, Exterior styling.

Toyota should increase availability of 5 spd manual with other options. We had to order ours from the factory with 5 spd, ABS and side airbags - it's not normally available in the Northeast in this configuration.