Used 1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

toyota reliable...not the case here
By whyd I buy it

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my corolla new in 1998. I've had nothing but problems with it. I only have 82000 miles and I've had to replace the starter, water pump, battery 3 times, struts twice, front brake pads at least 6 times, rotors 3 times, new calipers, rear brakes twice, tires every two years, poor front suspension, don't feel in control of car. Burns oil (a quart every 600 miles appx) The headliner is disentegrating and the interior plastic around the doors is brittle and falling apart. Airbag light constantly flashes and rear seat very uncomfortable (bottoms out). Bought Toyota thinking I'd have it for a long time. NOT! My Hyundai didn't give me this much trouble. Worst car I've ever owned.

I suppose the mileage is the best thing I can say about it (which my mileage isn't even as good as I thought it would be).

I don't know, obviously other people haven't had the problems I've had. Maybe I got a lemon (but doesn't fit the legal lemon definition). Definitely the front end and interior. Very uncomfortable car, especially the back seat.

ultimate reliability
By 9 longyears

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

my wife bought this car new 9 years and 214,000 miles ago. other than brakes and tires all parts are original with the exception of the starter, which we replaced last year. we are not gental car owners; its maybe been washed 4 times, we have driven 4 hours with two large dogs(over 200lbs) in the back seat (many times), and for the last two years abused by my daughter. it makes that energiser bunny look like a wuss. it's taken us from college to first jobs, from apartments to first home, through dating to marrige and kids. best built car ever.

33mpg in the boston sub-burbs, 37 since we moved to the counry. never ending reliability.

at 6'1" it't uncomfortable for me. paint was easy to scratch. the check engine light came on at 130000miles and no one(dealer, others) could shut it off.

'98 Toyota Corolla LE Sedan
By Jack

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Has been a very good running and driving car. Maintenance has been nil. A little more power in engine would help it in climbing mountains. However, very seldom driven in mountains.

Cup holder over the ash tray is a dumb idea. Needs ash tray for rear seat.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Donna

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan VE 4dr Sedan

I am amazed that I still have the original muffler and pipes on this car! I have it serviced regularly and never had any "surprise" problems with it. It's got over 90,000 miles, is fuel efficient and I love it because it's dependable, not because it's "fun to drive". Maybe I'll upgrade to the Camry next time but I'm sure happy with my Corolla!

Smooth drive, holds the road, heats up fast in winter and cools fast in summer.

I find it inconvenient that this model has no trunk release lever from the inside of the car.

Solid, reliable car with no frills
By Will E.

1998 Toyota Corolla Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Have had my Corolla CE with 5-Speed manual transmission for past 8 years (73k miles). Runs same as when new. It's a small car that isn't great on the highway due to the weight and powerplant (and additional passengers and/or having the AC on will bog it down somewhat), but it was cheap, reliable, and gets over 30 MPG city. I have had no mechanical problems - just change the oil, etc. Haven't even changed a light bulb. Overall a great value and I plan on driving it at least another few years.

Cost to own, reliability, fuel economy.

More leg room.